Thread: how good are the JBL L15 bookshelf speakers by todays standards?

how good are the JBL L15 bookshelf speakers by todays standards?

I have an older Pioneer Elite receiver and was thinking of doing a small home audio (or even a 3.1 HT) system in my bedroom.

I am currently running B&W 804 speakers in my main system with McIntosh pre/pro, as well as McIntosh Amplifiers. I am looking to put together a small "budget" system for the room with either stuff that I have or can get fairly cheap. A long time ago my father gifted me a pair of JBL L15 (he also gave me a set of older ADS L470/2 "bookshelfs" but these are a bit large for what I want and the condition isn't nearly as good).

So my plan is to run a smaller set of bookshelfs and an 8 or 10" old HSU powered sub I have kicking around. Was originally thinking of Elac B5 then started looking into SVS ultimates, then also looked into Sanus Faber venere 1.5 and then took a peak at some new B&W 805 ($6k, NOPE!!), then have been considering doing a DIY build, then I was kind of remembering that I have the JBLs not being used and how hard would it be to actually build something to be as good as the JBLs (maybe it would be an easy task with some of the kits out there?).

I have never had these set up to listen to in a critical listening room and I have yet to set of my receiver, but for those familiar with the speaker, what is your opinion of them? Compete with today $200 best buy specials? $1000 decent bookshelfs or even $6000 B&W 805 (which I highly doubt).

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    The Speaker Safari actually scores some ............ (wait for it) ...................... speakers
    (and they be JBL too )

All drivers work , no refoams needed , have all grille pegs and both grilles ,
    twist lock posts looking good , cabs will need slight retouch (very slight)

And they sound really fine ..detail,detail, detail,...detail..detail...
    surprisingly good bass from little 6.5's.
    I acquired a pair just 2 weeks ago. The bass of the 6.5's won't blow you away, but I also tried
    them with a powered 10 inch JBL sub and it was a very satisfying combination.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post413000
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information