Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rip-off

Arlen Roth, Hot Pickups, 1980, Sonet Germany, INT 147112

"August Nights" B4. Arlen Roth is able to play everything, but who is the "sheik of swing"?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Compare John Camp's bass line in Can You Understand from the 1973 Renaissance Album Ashes Are Burning with John Lodge's in Legend of a Mind from The Moody Blues' 1968 album In Search of the Lost Chord .

Best regards!

1977 - "Going Back to my Roots" - Lamont Dozier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdEw...nel=000soul000

A few months later, French pop singer Claude François presents "Alexandrie. Alexandra"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkVh...=AnastasioEric

Led Zeppelin, Boogie With Stu, 1975

From "Physical Graffiti" some more or less legal robbery: "Boogie with Stu" is definitively not a LedZeppelin-IanStewart-Mrs.Valens song as it is credited. It is definitively a Ritchie Valens song and it should definitively be called "Ooh! My Head". The credits to Mrs. Valens come from the nearly incredible sharpness of four gentle villains...
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

The most insolent rip off in rock history?

"Dazed and confused": Original by Jake Holmes 1967 on Tower Records. Led Zeppelin I in 1969: the most insolent rip off in rock history?! Look and hear this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGzrDw_sW2A
    (Admittedly it's a great cover version, isn't it?)

LZ are well known for their law suits that they've lost in their career.

Best regards!

Riff Raff, Vinyl Futures, 1981, ATCO USA, SD 32-108

They also ripped-off the band name "Riff Raff" as many other musicians did. Why do they? Anyway, this is magnificent melodic hard rock with leanings towards Led Zeppelin and Boston. Dog Lubahn lead vocals/bass (bassist of The Doors, Billy Squier, Monkees, Nugent), Werner Fritzsching guitars (Cactus). Listen to Mary Lou A5. Good songs. All winners, no fillers. Sleeve by Hipgnosis. Underrated.
    This here is the original English Riff Raff: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post430346

Stackridge, Extravaganza, 1974, Rocket Germany, 88 569 IT

Some kind of (inverted) art robbery? Found today in: Max Gallo, "The Poster In History", 1974, (The Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd., Middlesex, England). The original anonymous poster was created for a show at the Chicago Opera House, about 1900. Paris, Musée des Arts Décoratifs. Album credits of "Cream" for the art work were adjudged to "Alain Weill for use of poster design".
    Indeed, what wonderful cover art. Don't forget to listen to Stackridge!

Muskrat Ramble/ I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag

This one shows the complexity of copyright infringement, royalties and rights. Written by Kid Ory and first recorded as an instrumental in 1926 by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five, lyrics were added by Ray Gilbert in 1950. After Gilbert protested that he was entitled to share credit with Ory, ASCAP awarded him one-third credit. Armstrong claimed to have written the tune himself and that Ory only had named it. Sidney Bechet said, that it was originally an old Buddy Bolden tune called "The Old Cow Died and the Old Man Cried".
    In the sequel: Babette Ory, Kid Ory's daughter from his second marriage and heir to the "Muskrat Ramble" copyright, sued Country Joe McDonald for copyright infringement in 2001. The complaint alleged that the tune for McDonald's signature song "I feel like i'm fixing to die rag" was lifted in part from "Muskrat Ramble". The song is famous from his performance at Woodstock festival in 1969. This suit was dismissed due to the lateness of the filing. Since decades had already passed from the time McDonald "composed" his song in 1965, Ory based her suit on a new version of it recorded by McDonald in 1999. This was a fault. The judges upheld McDonald's laches defense, noting that Ory and her father were aware of the original version of the song for some three decades without bringing a suit. This ruling was upheld by the judges in 2005, and Ory was also ordered to pay McDonald's substantial attorney's fees. Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat_Ramble and here:https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-Feel...%99-to-Die_Rag
    And here is the original 1926 recording by Louis Armstrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz2sdPoTGv8

Hats off to your effort in finding possible and/or actual copyright infringements and for providing uns with detailled informations!

Best regards!

Flamin Groovies, Keep a knockin', 1970, drum intro

Listen to Flamin Groovies' 1970 LP "Flamingo". What a furious drum intro in Little Richards "Keep a knockin'" by Danny Mihm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOmtr6tQqig Great!
    1 year later John Bonham did the same in "Rock'nRoll". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gYhESgDQhs
    Coincidence? Needless to say! Keep a rockin'....

I'm quite convinced that neither Danny Mihm nor John Bonham created this famous drum roll. Instead, listen to Gene Krupa in Benny Goodmans incarnation of Bei mir bist Du schön from The Famous Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert of January 16, 1938 (sung by Martha Tilton). Tomorrow it's gonna be exactly 83 years ago!

Name:  20210115_164757_kl.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  65.2 KB

Best regards and have fun!

Drum intro

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    I'm quite convinced that neither Danny Mihm nor John Bonham created this famous drum roll. Instead, listen to Gene Krupa in Benny Goodmans incarnation of Bei mir bist Du schön from The Famous Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert of January 16, 1938 (sung by Martha Tilton). Tomorrow it's gonna be exactly 83 years ago!

Name:  20210115_164757_kl.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  65.2 KB

Best regards and have fun!
    Great, Kay, you have listened very accurately. But it's not an intro. This special drum solo as an intro has more impact and is something magic! From wintery snowy east Switzerland near the Bodensee (2 hours of snow shoveling this morning) all the best wishes to Germany. Fritz

Don't get me wrong, please, I really love LZ's Rock and Roll, especially due to John's drum intro. Anyway, I almost like any LZ songs, you know . Just a few exceptions...

Best regards!

Exceptions

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Don't get me wrong, please, I really love LZ's Rock and Roll, especially due to John's drum intro. Anyway, I almost like any LZ songs, you know . Just a few exceptions...

Best regards!
    Which are the exceptions? Why?

Thread Information