Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL Bi-radial 2342 / 2415H / shouty / frequency-peak ?

Quote Originally Posted by notengewirr View Post
    I added some pics of my "modified" 4425 ;-) We found out the back-plate of (most) older JBLs are flimsy and causes bass resonances ! So we added a second plate glued&screwed on. The design is following the black front edges. So it looks like a "sandwich" design.
    Beautifully done, very subtle and imho with no break at all rgd the original technical intentions & perhaps even slightly refining the aesthetics of an already very pleasing industrial design

Quote Originally Posted by notengewirr View Post
    My listening room is only 16qm and the distance from my listening position to the speakers is max 2.8m !
    The phase allign (right word? ) is better than with 'bigger' systems , and i believe much better than with systems using more than 2 drivers.
    If you are (i) close to the speakers, have your (ii) ear at or about 4342 axis, and (iii) have little or no toe-in towards your listening position, plus (iv, does this list ever end?) are brave enough to allow for at least some of the screws, try to turn the 2242 90°. I have never tried that horn but tried this trick successfully on 2344 and 2360 in several of my 90's and '00 years setups when using the JBL Biradials or the EV HP series equivalents

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by gibber View Post
    i wasn't aware of the fact JBL used a saltshaker/pepperpot style phase plug at any ime. Are there other examples?
    Can anyone point to pictures of the (open) 2415 or have own pics to share?

Ralph
    Here ya go Ralph, ( this belongs to this particular threads OP ).

From the following thread ( click the pic !)

One can see it's not nearly as refined as say the RCA pepper-pot or even Tannoy's.

But it does sound quite nice & open ( even if it does start to dive at 12.5K ).

Playing band-limited Pink Noise through this structure ( with any diaphragm is quite enlightening ) > it's a bit less congested sounding to my ears .

Ps; I'm sure one of my pics of my 2415h is still floating around the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Playing band-limited Pink Noise through this structure ( with any diaphragm is quite enlightening ) > it's a bit less congested sounding to my ears .

Sorry for being lazy, Earl K
    not browsing for pics !

I fully agree with your observation. This kind of 'plug offers a very relaxed representation in the mids compared to the annular style, especially on voices. The large format Fostex D5xx voices inspired me to have 3D-printed both (plus radial) and while the radial is very different structurally & in the way it works, the saltshaker closely follows the radial i had (both for Yammi JA-08xx series domes)

Measurement-wise, the radial wins hands-down, but when listening, if the very top end sparkle isn't required, i prefer the pepperpot/saltshaker
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plana...-driver-2.html (still in need of some de-bugging in the motor structure)
    Ralph

Thread Information