Hello all,

This is my first post here. I would like to know more about some very early amplifiers made by JBL: the Solid State Transducer Energizer.
The reason for this is question is that I recently got my hands on a JBL SE408SE, in mint condition.

Obiously, I have already done some research myself. If I understand correctly, the amplifiers were used with systems alike the Paragon, Lancer 99... and maybe more?
Also, these amplifiers were fitted with 'stage direct connection differential circuit' (JBL T-circuit). Which has to be some kind of circuitry making the amplifier suited for each model (using EQ, filters,??).
Another thing I find, is that these amplifiers could not only be used in companion with the speakers mentioned earlier, but could also be used INSIDE the speakers. They could be mounted inside the cabinet, making these speakers possibly one of the earliest self-powered speakers ever made?
Name:  section.jpg
Views: 2395
Size:  31.8 KB

What I have doubts about, are the model names. I found the following types:
  • SE400S
  • SE401
  • SE408
  • SE408S
  • SE408SE (the one I have)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood that the 'S' versions were suited for mounting inside a speaker. So, no cabinet or enclosure. Can someone confirm this?
Also, can someone explain to me what all the differences are between the above amplifiers? Does someone know the specific years each type was made? I believe they are all from 1960s-1970s?
There is quite some info on the internet about the SE408S, but I couldn't find anything about the SE408SE...

Some more pictures:
Name:  spec.jpg
Views: 2668
Size:  152.7 KB
Name:  zrhrrzjes.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  dzfbtaeh.jpg
Views: 2211
Size:  190.3 KB

Last but not least, always a tricky question... can someone give an estimation of the value of these items?
This is what I was able to find, but the prices vary substantially:
Name:  value usd.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  48.2 KB

Thank you all in advance!

Best regards,

Teun