For surround sound, I want to get or build a set of rear and center speakers with the same sound as my early L100A’s. I have tried Control 1’s (which are about the right size) and Control 5’s, but their sound is too different. Unfortunately I have neither the money nor space for another set of 100’s, so bear with me on this.
Since I can control the bass crossover in the receiver, what about using just the LE5’s and LE25’s in a small box? The only driver that needs enclosure is the LE5 and that’s just the shallow tube. Because of cost and the poor condition of most older JBL drivers, I’m considering the Simply Speakers clones – which are probably close enough for surround.
The main problem is that the L100 crossover point for the LE5 clones is way too high for this idea – the xover needs to be in the 120Hz range, which I think the LE5 can handle, although the Simply Speaker is vaguely spec’d at 214Hz-13kHz. Any advice on crossover specs? I’m primarily a listener and woodworker, not an engineer, so please pardon what may be a simple question. Also, alternatives welcomed heartily. Thanks.