Thread: JBL L100A inauthentic surround speaker design

Question JBL L100A inauthentic surround speaker design

For surround sound, I want to get or build a set of rear and center speakers with the same sound as my early L100A’s. I have tried Control 1’s (which are about the right size) and Control 5’s, but their sound is too different. Unfortunately I have neither the money nor space for another set of 100’s, so bear with me on this.
    Since I can control the bass crossover in the receiver, what about using just the LE5’s and LE25’s in a small box? The only driver that needs enclosure is the LE5 and that’s just the shallow tube. Because of cost and the poor condition of most older JBL drivers, I’m considering the Simply Speakers clones – which are probably close enough for surround.
    The main problem is that the L100 crossover point for the LE5 clones is way too high for this idea – the xover needs to be in the 120Hz range, which I think the LE5 can handle, although the Simply Speaker is vaguely spec’d at 214Hz-13kHz. Any advice on crossover specs? I’m primarily a listener and woodworker, not an engineer, so please pardon what may be a simple question. Also, alternatives welcomed heartily. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockman View Post
    For surround sound, I want to get or build a set of rear and center speakers with the same sound as my early L100A’s.
    I don't think that's a good idea. The worst performing driver in the L100A was the LE5-2 midrange. Here is the frequency response of the LE5-2 in one of my old L100As, without any crossover filter. That driver doesn't go low, it drops off rapidly below 500Hz and above that, it's far from smooth.

Since I can control the bass crossover in the receiver, what about using just the LE5’s and LE25’s in a small box? The only driver that needs enclosure is the LE5 and that’s just the shallow tube. Because of cost and the poor condition of most older JBL drivers, I’m considering the Simply Speakers clones – which are probably close enough for surround.
    I can't speak for or against those clones of the LE5 mid range driver.

The main problem is that the L100 crossover point for the LE5 clones is way too high for this idea – the xover needs to be in the 120Hz range, which I think the LE5 can handle, although the Simply Speaker is vaguely spec’d at 214Hz-13kHz. Any advice on crossover specs? I’m primarily a listener and woodworker, not an engineer, so please pardon what may be a simple question. Also, alternatives welcomed heartily. Thanks.
    Specs, such as a range of 214Hz-13kHz don't mean much at all. It may produce sound of some sort over that range, but I doubt if you would want to listen to that. Instead, you should look at a frequency response curve such as above. It might be possible to claim that the JBL LE5 has a range of 500Hz-13kHz, but you wouldn't want to use that driver as a mid-woofer in a 2-way design.

There are many inexpensive smaller 2-way speakers available that make good rear channel speakers.

Thread Information