Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL Libra C53 + LE14A + LE175 + LX10 ='s S1 system 1960s ?

JBL Libra C53 + LE14A + LE175 + LX10 ='s S1 system 1960s ?

Hi, I have a pair of walnut Libra c53 cabinets loaded with LE14A woofers + LE175 horns + LX10 crossovers. Doing research online this seems to be the S1 component system loaded into the C53's. Is this from the 1960s? All works fine and the components have close matching serial numbers pair to pair. And is there a bluebook or good valuation site for these?

thanks, Rick
    Last edited by RSchiller; 02-15-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: email links

If that's really a C53, I'm impressed that an LE175DLH fit inside. I can't find any JBL spec sheets that show that load in the C53 which is listed as only 12-1/2" deep in the outside dimension. I don't have a loose one sitting around right now to measure so I don't know the length of the LE175DLH but memory puts it at at least 12-inches long.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    If that's really a C53, I'm impressed that an LE175DLH fit inside. I can't find any JBL spec sheets that show that load in the C53 which is listed as only 12-1/2" deep in the outside dimension. I don't have a loose one sitting around right now to measure so I don't know the length of the LE175DLH but memory puts it at at least 12-inches long.
    They drop in from the front and there is a hole cut in the back so the rear of the horn extends c. 7/16." Looking down from above they appear to stick no farther out than the LX10 binding posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RSchiller View Post
    They drop in from the front and there is a hole cut in the back so the rear of the horn extends c. 7/16." Looking down from above they appear to stick no farther out than the LX10 binding posts.
    So you're asking for an evaluation of a pair of either modified or home-built systems. Most likely their value is in the parting out of the components but a photo or six would probably be beneficial to your quest.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

So you're asking for an evaluation of a pair of either modified or home-built systems. Most likely their value is in the parting out of the components but a photo or six would probably be beneficial to your quest.
    Fair enough, I'll post some images tomorrow. Thanks.

Ok, I have attached some files.The components are as follows:
    Matched Pair Walnut cabinet C53 Libra #64802 #64671
    LE175 drivers 8ohm w/ 1217-1290 Horns. red seals intact
    Driver: #9858 – 6.0 ohms horn 1217-1290: #23275
    Driver: #9933 – 6.1 ohms horn 1217-1290: #23209
    Both correct mounting rings included (only one shown in images)
    LE14A 8ohms woofers with foam/surrounds replaced
    #14388 – 5.8 ohms #14401 – 5.9 ohms
    LX10 cross-over (correct for S1 system) #13906 #14080

Everything works properly.

Cabinets currently have cream colored grids on them. A 2nd set of the original black grids is included; cloth is not ripped or torn on either pair but a little dirty. The images of the horns shows an off-white residue on them which helped seal them in the cabinet they were taken out of. The original black finish is not scrapped off. Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Unfortunately your LE14A woofers appear to have been improperly restored when the new black surrounds were attached to the front while part of the original Lans-a-Loy surrounds were left on the back of the cones. Another unfortunate move was when the cabinets were cut open in the rear to “fit” the drivers in there.

Value? Not as high as they would have been if they were stock. Value to you or someone else who might want to actually use them? With some work they could be made into a much better speaker.

Widget

I'd say they're worth whatever you can get for the LE175DH pair.

I think you'd have to pay someone to take those LE14s off your hands in that condition!
    What maroon [sic] did that to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Unfortunately your LE14A woofers appear to have been improperly restored when the new black surrounds were attached to the front while part of the original Lans-a-Loy surrounds were left on the back of the cones. Another unfortunate move was when the cabinets were cut open in the rear to “fit” the drivers in there.

Value? Not as high as they would have been if they were stock. Value to you or someone else who might want to actually use them? With some work they could be made into a much better speaker.

Widget
    Pretty tough neighborhood around here. The image I posted is before the Lansolay was all removed obviously. It would be impossible to leave it and refoam as the new surrounds attach to the top of the cone and leaving the Lansoly on would not let you glue to the edge of the frame. Please see updated images. As to the cabinets being cut in the back to fit the horns, while I'm clearly not as experienced as some long-timers here, the C53 if not cut to allow the back would have the horn sticking far out in front so the grill would not go on.

Pretty tough neighborhood around here. The image I posted is before the Lansolay was all removed obviously.
    You asked for an evaluation without saying anything about what you'd done to them. I'm assuming, but you're still not saying, that you did the re-surround, or at least had it done since purchasing/finding the speakers. That's good to know. The reason someone cut a hole in the back of the boxes to fit a driver never intended for that JBL cabinet is rather immaterial. Obviously it wouldn't fit because it was never intended for that enclosure. So if you have an S1 system, taking your word that that is an LX10 crossover, it has the value of the components. The cabinet is really of little value, especially with a hole cut in it, but even if it had the likely original S1 load as intended for the C53 the value would still be negligible, especially if the value was based on sound quality instead of any collector interest. The collector interest, which is small, is pretty well out-the-window with the holes cut in back and perhaps an enlarged port in front. You have a vintage system looking for an appropriate cabinet like a nice C35/37 or C36/38.

Don't shoot the messengers.

You asked for an evaluation without saying anything about what you'd done to them. I'm assuming, but you're still not saying, that you did the re-surround, or at least had it done since purchasing/finding the speakers. That's good to know. The reason someone cut a hole in the back of the boxes to fit a driver never intended for that JBL cabinet is rather immaterial. Obviously it wouldn't fit because it was never intended for that enclosure. So if you have an S1 system, taking your word that that is an LX10 crossover, it has the value of the components. The cabinet is really of little value, especially with a hole cut in it, but even if it had the likely original S1 load as intended for the C53 the value would still be negligible, especially if the value was based on sound quality instead of any collector interest. The collector interest, which is small, is pretty well out-the-window with the holes cut in back and perhaps an enlarged port in front. You have a vintage system looking for an appropriate cabinet like a nice C35/37 or C36/38.

Don't shoot the messengers.
    Ok, good information, thank you. Yes, they are LX10s - images below. I live in Oakland, CA and took the speakers to a local speaker repair pro; he checked them out and said they are in good working order but the Lansolay was shot - obvious hardening and cracks. (I've been told all Lansolay of any age has gone bad and the brake fluid trick is a bad idea as brake fluid will micro-migrate and destroy the cones).

With the help of a friend who had done this before, I re-foamed a pair of LE14Cs and then did these LE14As. Everything works and in the cabinets the entire system works fine, sounds good. My sense of real world sales seems to be the pair of LX-10s for c. $150-$180. Properly refoamed LE14A pair about $250-$300 with a wide range from what I'm seeing as closed sales on Ebay. The horn pair $600-$650 ? Just my guess and all input appreciated. The cabinets maybe $100 for the pair is someone wants them with the S1 system in them.

Looks like you're thinking you have a thousand-dollar speaker pair on your hands.

So you're asking for an evaluation of a pair of either modified or home-built systems. Most likely their value is in the parting out of the components . . .

Looks like you're thinking you have a thousand-dollar speaker pair on your hands.
    And whether I'm right or wrong remains to be seen. What vintage are these components? 60s 70s? Thanks again. Rick

What vintage are these components? 60s 70s? Thanks again. Rick
    I don't see the C53 offered beyond 1969. I think the black wrinkle finish started around 1965. Probably started using the Libra name on the C53 about then, too. I don't remember ever seeing a C53 with the Energizer cutout but then I haven't seen that many of them, either. My 1970 Alpha-I's have them.

I don't see the C53 offered beyond 1969. I think the black wrinkle finish started around 1965. Probably started using the Libra name on the C53 about then, too. I don't remember ever seeing a C53 with the Energizer cutout but then I haven't seen that many of them, either. My 1970 Alpha-I's have them.
    Ok, thank you! The labels for the energizer cutouts, should there be an opening under them? They are completely solid, no opening.

Thread Information