Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fostex horn - repair, refurb, repurpose!

The rest of the Fostex parts have arrived. I assembled the stack (sans horns, for now) -
    I have some minor fixes left to do on the horns, and I'll need to build a crossover
    before I can feed signal to the super-rare drivers.
    God, the drivers are SUPER heavy!!

Name:  Fostex-Stack_5990.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  87.0 KB

Yes, they are sitting on top of one of the recently new-to-me Heath "Valencias" -
    thats another project for another time. I figure I'll pair the Fostex stack on top of
    an ALTEC Model 15 Cabinet I have with a JBL 2214H for the woofer.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Minor updates - I've had a busy week with many OTHER things - tires on Emma car, wee snowstorm, and a birthday too ...
    "Will you still need me, will you still feed me ...?"

But I got time to assemble all the parts and mock them up on top of the Altec Model 15 cabinets.

I know how nice the JBL 2214H sounded when I had them in the cabinets with the Altec horns drivers & crossovers in Dec,
    and since no one seemed to want the empty cabinets when I tried to give them away after I sold the Model 15 parts,
    it seemed like a no-brainer to use cabinets for the woofers ... tho I'll need to cover the hole where the horn mounted,
    and make a plate for the old crossover holes to mount the Lpads for the mids and tweeters.

And one of the Fostex guys sent me a crossover schematic to pair the JBL woofer with the Fostex mid and tweeters -
    tho I have not ordered parts to build them yet ...
    At least the cabs have the Altec velcro dots I can use when I make grills for them (later)

Name:  ALTEC-FostexStack_6026.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  43.5 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Dropped by Home Despot after work to see what they had in the way of small piece of plywood to cover the horn-hole.
    I saw all kinds of pieces of 2' x 4' plywood from $8 or so for chipboard to well over $20 for pieces with nicely veneer on 1 side.
    But I only need 2 pieces of 18" x 8" or so - so their stock was overkill - till I saw a decent piece of ply in a 2' x 2' size - over 3/8 but just under 1/2 thick - is there a 7/16ply?
    It had sticker with a bar code, but no idea what it sold for. Decided to buy it anyway. Got up front and the cashier rang it in - $0.01 - thats it!
    Perfect for my project and what a great price!

Now I just need to haul my table saw out of the shed, set it up on the shopmate, and make a couple cuts!

Name:  plywood2x2_6027.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  176.2 KB

Have no doubt that your horn project will turn out great (as always).

Our HD just puts out the wood scraps in an open front dumpster with a FREE sign, usually a lot to choose from. (and it's close to the side doors)

FOSTEX ?? My only real exposure to that company has been their headphones, which I really enjoy. They seem to be an innovative, quality oriented company.

TEAK ? The woods beauty was what initially drew me to the JBL "Ti" series. Now I have 18Ti's,
    120Ti's and the 250Ti's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Cut planks out of that plywood - painted the ugly side black and put a piece inside the cabinet up against the horn hole.
    Decided I did not like the look, so I got some Minwax stain, brushed it on the nicely grain side and tried that in the horn hole - not perfect, but better.
    Go some wood adhesive and my caulking gun - ran a bead around the edge of te stained panel, and mounted it inside the cabinet.
    Probably needs another coat to better match the pateina of the golden oak finsh Altec used - but it looks nicer than the black did.
    Took one of the JBL 2214H woofers and mounted it back in the cabinet - Not bad so far.
    Now I need to order parts and assemble the 3-way crossover, and see how it all plays together.

Name:  Fostex-Project_6056.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  135.4 KB

I did take some time today, connected the horn and tweeter together so I could test them, and fed some music to them, just to be sure the parts were working.
    I know, the seller told me they were working, but before I ordered parts to build the 3 way crossovers for them, I wanted to be sure.
    Connected them to the Jolida amp, turned the volume WAY down, and played bits of Joni Mitchell's Hejira - Coyote ...
    Brought the volume up a little bit and - they sounded good - nice voicing from the duck lips - and the proper sizzle from the slot tweeters ...
    I even connected the JBL 2214H woofers in parallel, just as a test - the combo sounds pretty reasonable -
    Time to order parts!

Name:  Fostex-Test-Rig_6059.jpg
Views: 1875
Size:  144.6 KB

Looks like an interesting build. Are you designing your own crossovers?

Quote Originally Posted by dkalsi View Post
    Looks like an interesting build. Are you designing your own crossovers?
    I asked one of the Fostex engineers and he designed and sent a crossover schematic that blended the JBL 2214H woofer
    in with the FOSTEX Horn Drivers D252 (on the teak horn) and the FOSTEX Super Tweeters T825 ...

I tested the drivers yesterday to confirm they did indeed work (ebay seller said they worked, but, you know how that can be) -
    so now I just need to order parts and some perf. board and a week or so later, assemble the bits!

So, after being nagged by a member in another forum (Why haven't you hooked the Fostex horn up in place of the horn in those Heath speakers?)
    and had that thought nagging me overnight, well, after I got home tonight, I went for it!. Pulled the Heaths out and laid them down, pulled 20 screws from the back of each to open the cavity,
    marked the black lead on the original horns, pulled the hipass leads from the original crossover, and fed them out under the back cover before closing them up.
    Stood them upright, hooked up the Fostex teak "Duck lips" horns with the FOSTEX D252 drivers, and again, turned on the tubes with low volume.
    Started through my demo playlist - Joni Mitchell and Hejira again - first Amelia, then Hejira

OMG, these are some sweet horns and drivers!!

(Oh, I had mentioned at one point I emptied a pillow of Polyfill into each cabinet and extened the bass response of the "Valencias" - here's the pic)

Name:  IMG_6066.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  143.5 KBName:  IMG_6060.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  150.8 KB

RWO/Fostex ( maybe? ) inspired by:

Name:  1287334-technics-sb-e-200.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  65.1 KBName:  1058440-classic-technics-sbe200-speakers-in-beautiful-rosewood-finish.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  68.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images    

Sign o' the times

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    RWO/Fostex ( maybe? ) inspired by:

Name:  1058440-classic-technics-sbe200-speakers-in-beautiful-rosewood-finish.jpg
Views: 3587
Size:  68.4 KB

Well, seeing them today, it's hard to believe these are mid '70s. But, there's nothing as strong as an idea whose time has come (thus quoz *they*, not Hugo)

From my re-collection, the Matsushita units, designed helping to launch the "Technics" brand were themselves strongly informed by the series Richard Heyser had started to publish in the AES journal year '73 onwards. Same happened on the amplifier front where the Japanese brands came up lightning-fast with fantastic designs strongly influenced by Matti Ottala's late '70s work on speed-limited mechanisms of distortion.
    The Kenwood KA amps and KT series tuners, the Pioneer "SA" amps and "Exclusive" speakers, Yamaha CT-7000 and NS-1000, were other examples of this extreme dedication to follow up on latest research in materials and topologies. So Fostex, founded in 1973, was in good company and the quality of the Japanese work of the 1972-1982 period is still getting more and more appreciated after all these years... so many classics, such a small basement

The US brands DCS and Dahlquist picked up on the time-of-arrival topic in multi-way speakers pretty early as well. In Europe, Dynaudio, B&W and later KEF did the same -- Ralph

Crossover Schematics

The user Earl K mentioned that someone here might be able to help me out so I will repeat my question here, thanks in advance!

can anyone provide Crossover schematics for one of the monitor models? I just bought a near NOS pair of T825 and FD600 and would like to try the original crossovers from the monitors.

best regards from germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kreativlos View Post
    The user Earl K mentioned that someone here might be able to help me out so I will repeat my question here, thanks in advance!

can anyone provide Crossover schematics for one of the monitor models? I just bought a near NOS pair of T825 and FD600 and would like to try the original crossovers from the monitors.

Hi there.

Perhaps being specific about which one of the Fostex LS serie monitor models could help increase the chances to get a reply. Also, one of the people responsible for the design and production of these monitors is a Canadian living in Winnipeg and a member here. Michael Gillespie....

http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=7156

While I do enjoy the Lansing Forum folks and tech, you may have better luck asking at the Audiokarma forum.
    Tho Fostex gear is not Lansing related - the only reason I mentioned it here was that I'd paired my Mid horn and tweeter with a JBL 2214 woofer in an Altec Cabinet -
    My thread over there is at - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ind...rivers.809024/

And, Fostex Monitor guru Michael Gillespie wrote me from that thread! (very nice guy!)

But he does have a Pro Monitors thread on the Lansing site here -
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post170945

Quote Originally Posted by Kreativlos View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

(Oh, I had mentioned at one point I emptied a pillow of Polyfill into each cabinet and extened the bass response of the "Valencias" - here's the pic)
    Old post BUT!

If you're still using these, or anyone else will be, the polyfill situation should be adjusted. You definitely don't want the batting between frame and cone, and even moreso between cone and leadwires. This will lead to extraneous noise and distortion and even driver damage. A mesh or "net" around the back of the driver will keep the poly from getting where it doesn't belong (or use a different material that is more cohesive).

Thread Information