Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fostex horn - repair, refurb, repurpose!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fostex horn - repair, refurb, repurpose!

hjames started this new thread on fixing up the Fostex horns she just won on eBay.

The thread below starts from post 128 in the old "Mystery Large Format Monitor" -

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ormat-Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Howards orange oil
    I have no idea what "Howards Orange Oil" is but the horns are TEAK and you should use TEAK OIL! Real teak oil, not the junk that dries like a paste or a varnish.

The wood has to "breathe". I can provide you with some guidance in that area if you have problems locating the good stuff.

Michael.
    Last edited by Mr. Widget; 02-10-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Michael Gillespie.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    I have no idea what "Howards Orange Oil" is but the horns are TEAK and you should use TEAK OIL! Real teak oil, not the junk that dries like a paste or a varnish.

The wood has to "breathe". I can provide you with some guidance in that area if you have problems locating the good stuff.

Michael.
    No, no, I understand.
    The orange oil is safe for walnut and other woods and does not contain wax or clog the pores like that sticky Tung oil or the Watco Danish oil ...
    I had JohnW make a beautiful pair of walnut horns for me a few years back -
    they were gogeous smith horns in walnut, and seeing how these teak horns were treated is very sad.
    I am basically going to wait before I do anything to restore the horns and fix the crack.

I have an early morning - I'll talk to you later!
    And thank you for making contact!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Heather, you are into projects constantly, aren't you? I love watching them.

I know there's an urge to clean them up and make them look nice, but I would not do any more to them until you have them repaired. Any residue of cleaning or restorative chemicals that happen to seep down into those cracks is going to make it unlikely that the resins that will be used to repair them will stick. That would be bad ju-ju.

GeeDeeEmm

35 years later, I still love everything about these speakers. ;-)

Thanks Michael for your work.

Heather,

Very nice, another interesting project. I've got a minty pair of 2425h drivers sitting idle I'd like to see go to good use.

There's nothing special in Teak oil. It's something marketed primarily to the marine marketplace because of the prevalent use of Teak on boats/yachts. Use whatever Tung oil products/blends you like.

Cut planks out of that plywood - painted the ugly side black and put a piece inside the cabinet up against the horn hole.
    Decided I did not like the look, so I got some Minwax stain, brushed it on the nicely grain side and tried that in the horn hole - not perfect, but better.
    Go some wood adhesive and my caulking gun - ran a bead around the edge of te stained panel, and mounted it inside the cabinet.
    Probably needs another coat to better match the pateina of the golden oak finsh Altec used - but it looks nicer than the black did.
    Took one of the JBL 2214H woofers and mounted it back in the cabinet - Not bad so far.
    Now I need to order parts and assemble the 3-way crossover, and see how it all plays together.

Name:  Fostex-Project_6056.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  135.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Name:  Fostex-Project_6056.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  135.4 KB

Just as an idea, but how about rotating the enclosure upsidedown. That way the 2214 would be much closer to the horn.
    Right know these two sources are spread far apart and might not match up well...

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Heather, you are into projects constantly, aren't you? I love watching them.

I know there's an urge to clean them up and make them look nice, but I would not do any more to them until you have them repaired. Any residue of cleaning or restorative chemicals that happen to seep down into those cracks is going to make it unlikely that the resins that will be used to repair them will stick. That would be bad ju-ju.

GeeDeeEmm
    Understood, thanks.
    I'm only heavy-oiling the one without the cracks.
    The split lip will def need to be dry for glue to work.
    I'll clean off the tape reside but not much else on that one.
    You can see after work today I got a lot of the tape residue cleaned off of the uncracked one on the left -

And yes, its a pretty wooden piece - its TEAK - how could I resist?

The metal adapters have a 4 bolt pattern, and what seems like a 3 bolt pattern for 1 inch JBL drivers.

Name:  IMG_5936.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  Cleaning_5929.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  87.4 KB

I did not even notice until now - note the Delos CD in the black box just above the right horn.
    Won it in a contest here on the Lansing Hermitage Forum, back in 2007! Thanks again, King James & TiDome.

Got a few gashes on the front lip, but they are basically healed and ready to use!

Ordered a can of Teak oil from Amazon yesterday and I'll try and get the faded places rejuvenated with that.
    Home Depot did not have any ...
    I also need to get a pair of horn drivers to see how they sound ...

Name:  FixedHorns_5955.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  97.4 KB

And I confirmed, the Fostex adapters will fit either Altec or JBL 1 inch driver mounting patterns. Very cool!

Name:  HornAdapters_5959.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  79.5 KB

So, maybe I should plan to build some 2 ways with those Altec Model 15 cabinets I still have,
    and the JBL 2214H drivers I still have ... all I need is a pair of 1 inch horn drivers and build a crossover.
    I could sure do worse (Note: I no longer own the Altec horn drivers shown)

Name:  ALTEC-Cabs-w-JBL2214s_5763.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  113.9 KB

Result , looks like you got the wood gods on side.

Show me some close ups of the front lip damage , there are some neat tricks for this kind of thing.

You will need some teak offcuts,

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Result , looks like you got the wood gods on side.

Show me some close ups of the front lip damage , there are some neat tricks for this kind of thing.

You will need some teak offcuts,
    Okay - top view, front view, bottom view of the bad Lip that has the outer edge knocked off it.

Off to church soon - if you need anything closer or a different angle, let me know!

Name:  BadLip_5965.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  44.1 KBName:  BadLip_5963.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  45.5 KBName:  BadLip_5964.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  89.2 KB

Dropped by Home Despot after work to see what they had in the way of small piece of plywood to cover the horn-hole.
    I saw all kinds of pieces of 2' x 4' plywood from $8 or so for chipboard to well over $20 for pieces with nicely veneer on 1 side.
    But I only need 2 pieces of 18" x 8" or so - so their stock was overkill - till I saw a decent piece of ply in a 2' x 2' size - over 3/8 but just under 1/2 thick - is there a 7/16ply?
    It had sticker with a bar code, but no idea what it sold for. Decided to buy it anyway. Got up front and the cashier rang it in - $0.01 - thats it!
    Perfect for my project and what a great price!

Now I just need to haul my table saw out of the shed, set it up on the shopmate, and make a couple cuts!

Name:  plywood2x2_6027.jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  176.2 KB

Have no doubt that your horn project will turn out great (as always).

Our HD just puts out the wood scraps in an open front dumpster with a FREE sign, usually a lot to choose from. (and it's close to the side doors)

FOSTEX ?? My only real exposure to that company has been their headphones, which I really enjoy. They seem to be an innovative, quality oriented company.

TEAK ? The woods beauty was what initially drew me to the JBL "Ti" series. Now I have 18Ti's,
    120Ti's and the 250Ti's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Minor updates - I've had a busy week with many OTHER things - tires on Emma car, wee snowstorm, and a birthday too ...
    "Will you still need me, will you still feed me ...?"

But I got time to assemble all the parts and mock them up on top of the Altec Model 15 cabinets.

I know how nice the JBL 2214H sounded when I had them in the cabinets with the Altec horns drivers & crossovers in Dec,
    and since no one seemed to want the empty cabinets when I tried to give them away after I sold the Model 15 parts,
    it seemed like a no-brainer to use cabinets for the woofers ... tho I'll need to cover the hole where the horn mounted,
    and make a plate for the old crossover holes to mount the Lpads for the mids and tweeters.

And one of the Fostex guys sent me a crossover schematic to pair the JBL woofer with the Fostex mid and tweeters -
    tho I have not ordered parts to build them yet ...
    At least the cabs have the Altec velcro dots I can use when I make grills for them (later)

Name:  ALTEC-FostexStack_6026.jpg
Views: 2033
Size:  43.5 KB

Okay - I used a small chisel to clean up dried glue from the original assembly process.
    I dry fitted the pieces to see how everything fit - it went together brilliantly - no apparent problems
    (Other than the slightly spread places where some dummy used sheetrock screws and slightly split the back panels).

So - here are pictures from the 3 gluing processes I did ...

Name:  Glue1_5939.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  96.5 KBName:  Glue1_5940.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  103.4 KB

I clamped across the back to pull the pieces tightly together, then used small clamps to clamp downward
    to hold the small parts against the inside of the curved lower lip.

Name:  Glue2_5943.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  120.8 KB
    The front edge of the top lip had been knocked off, which gave me a flat edge to set the clamp against.
    It appears these 2 pieces were assembled this way at the factory - the 2 pieces of wood have a different color and grain.
    It may not look flat from this photo, but I had a straight edge and it is.

Name:  Glue3_5947.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  84.8 KB
    The top is glued down to the top of the back planks and there is a thin glue bead on the back of the upper curved lip.

Thread Information