Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Which horns for JBL 2451 Be drivers?

  1. #46
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,616
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    How about a pair of clone 4338’s with billet “aluminium” throats?

    They are 20.25” X 8.625”
    Hi 1audiohack.
    oho, what a nice work.
    I have an idea about how complex surface curvature is to be realized in order to convert circular to rectangular horn cross section
    regards
    ivica

  2. #47
    Senior Member 1audiohack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    2,627
    Thanks guys.

    These were what I was to make for Project May. I was a year late and $10K short.

    I made a made a dozen of them so now I just have to make something with them. They do sound great for sure.

    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

  3. #48
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,710
    Damn Barry! That's gorgeous!
    Now, how about banging out a new intake manifold for my VW?


    Widget

  4. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,712
    Doc Mark snapped some pics during the throat machining process when we were out there in November 2014. I don't think the final iteration of the molded parts were done for some time after that.


  5. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Europa Union
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    An interesting thread indeed !

    I'm looking for a horn that behaves as close as possible to the TH4003 in its dispersion pattern . Talking to Ari about the M2 horn , 4367 but , I'd like to use 650htz as a the crossover point . That leaves the Autotech range or ...get the throat adapter and making a A290 . I have H9800 clones , but not convinced they'll come anywhere near in a 2-way set up .
    I want to avoid DSP .... I'd rather take my time and go passive . This my first speaker design from scratch .... I have some very good people helping me and I'm not in a rush .... So here goes . I'll start a thread here and over on diyaudio.com

    Parts: 2450SL /4016 BE
    JBL 1500AL - 150 litre
    Horn ?


    Rich
    Behaving like TH-4003 means no EQ needed.
    There was someone in France (J.P. Voiturier (ARTEC company doing audio electronics products)) who studied a horn dedicated to TAD TD-4003, free to use for diy. May be pos knows how to find the corresponding information. If I remember well it was published in the former Revue du Son macazine.

  6. #51
    Senior Member richluvsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london england
    Posts
    2,059

    Sweet ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Thanks guys.

    These were what I was to make for Project May. I was a year late and $10K short.

    I made a made a dozen of them so now I just have to make something with them. They do sound great for sure.

    Barry.
    Thats a wonderful project .... how did I miss that ? Are there any plots for the 4338 ? Is there a cad file for it ?
    We've simulated the 1500 AL for the box tuning and size :

    Rich.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #52
    Senior Member richluvsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london england
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    Behaving like TH-4003 means no EQ needed.
    There was someone in France (J.P. Voiturier (ARTEC company doing audio electronics products)) who studied a horn dedicated to TAD TD-4003, free to use for diy. May be pos knows how to find the corresponding information. If I remember well it was published in the former Revue du Son macazine.

    Interesting , but my french is worse than my cantonese .... POS ?


    Rich

  8. #53
    Senior Member pos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,515
    dn92也是法国人

    Rich, do you have TD4003 drivers at hand?
    That design, or the original TH4003 one, would require EQ with a JBL driver anyway.

    If you are looking for a passive solution then the 4367 is probably one of the best possible choice today.
    I think the horn itself is available (I know an individual who managed to get his hands on a pair), but the D2430K is expensive.

  9. #54
    Senior Member richluvsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london england
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    dn92也是法国人

    Rich, do you have TD4003 drivers at hand?
    That design, or the original TH4003 one, would require EQ with a JBL driver anyway.

    If you are looking for a passive solution then the 4367 is probably one of the best possible choice today.
    I think the horn itself is available (I know an individual who managed to get his hands on a pair), but the D2430K is expensive.

    Hi Pos,

    I think we'll end up designing a horn .... I can get the 4367 ,but I don't the cabinet that wide .... 120 litres looks very good for the 1500AL ,So keeping the dimensions is a must . Although , I'd think seriously about buying one 4367 ,scanning it and making a clone in wood . I have the TAD 2404 here, but I wont be messing around with them as far as taking them apart .Unless... someone wants the TH4003 cloned and wants to pay for it .

    I have 2450sl and truextent here . I have a friend to help with the measurement and theory ( horn design ) I thought the 4367 sounded awful at Munich . Certainly wasn't inspired by the driver or the complete system .

    Sorry , Herman , Widget ..... Can I take all my nonsense to another thread ? . I seem to have unwittingly taken over this ... sincere apologies .

    Rich

  10. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Europa Union
    Posts
    92
    As richluvsound mentionned that he plans to build another pair of eXclusive 2404, I expected a new pair of TD-4003 to be concerned. Of course with a JBL 2451, at least one high shelf will be needed with a TH-4003 or Voiturier's horn. No need with a a TD-4003 and I think probably also not with TD-4002z.

  11. #56
    Senior Member richluvsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london england
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    As richluvsound mentionned that he plans to build another pair of eXclusive 2404, I expected a new pair of TD-4003 to be concerned. Of course with a JBL 2451, at least one high shelf will be needed with a TH-4003 or Voiturier's horn. No need with a a TD-4003 and I think probably also not with TD-4002z.
    I didn't like the TAD 4002z when I heard it .

    This is not a 2404 .... was never meant to be . I have some expensive parts sitting here doing nothing .... I may as well build a speaker , sell it on ( already sold and thank fully not to the usual low-ballers) and put the proceeds toward keeping the 2404 sitting in my living room

    Hey , its all fun and it turns out there are some great choices for horns including designing a new one .... thanks for the PM's folks.

    Rich

  12. #57
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I didn't like the TAD 4002z when I heard it .

    I have some expensive parts sitting here doing nothing.

    Rich
    I know that feeling...Lol

  13. #58
    Senior Member richluvsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london england
    Posts
    2,059

    Horns

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Rich,

    Not recently. Depending on your aesthetic needs the Le Cléac’h AH-340 (600mm) could be interesting?

    If you are doing a passive crossover from scratch you really need a diy friendly horn

    http://www.azurahorn.com


    The 2384 is the only modern Jbl horn readily available that will do 650 hertz properly.

    If you relax that criteria to 750-800 hertz you can accommodate a narrower baffle.
    Hi Ian,

    I'm not in the studio anymore .... or they'd be ideal . The baffle is 550 mm or 21 5/8 " . I could rotate it 90 degrees . Its gonna be great to catch up in september - something nice to look forward to .

    Rich

  14. #59
    Member marco_gea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    Behaving like TH-4003 means no EQ needed.
    There was someone in France (J.P. Voiturier (ARTEC company doing audio electronics products)) who studied a horn dedicated to TAD TD-4003, free to use for diy. May be pos knows how to find the corresponding information. If I remember well it was published in the former Revue du Son macazine.
    I have that Revue du Son article. Here's a scan of the plans for that horn. It could be a good fit for the 2450SL too, I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •