Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 4344 MKII using Beyma TPL-150

Okay

Makes sense

It’s hard when you have lived with a 73 “ tv

You said you have a 2 pair of 2123H?
    So are you planning a vertical arrangement., woofer +2123+Beyma+2123?

That could be interesting

If you are really stuck for room width you could keep the final enclosures narrow (using your 15 inch woofer) like 19 inch wide externally to form a tower. Even stack the 2123’s and the Beyma on top on the woofer box in a narrow array

That way it would be modular

The ports placement is not critical

The other option that “might” work is vent your dual 2123 with a small rear port and run them down much lower at 140 Hz. That would really give you a low distortion mid.

Some Klipsch owners looking to improve have reported excellent results with dual 2123’s.

Two 2123’s in .8 cu ft vented @86 hz will not reach Xmax till 135db (thermal limited at 132 dB 500 Watts 4 ohms)

I imagine it would be very dynamic!

It would be 105 dB sensitivity ref 2.83 v 1 m

The woofer could side mounted like the Allison concept with the enclosure 13 inches wide

The green curve is the ported enclosure dual 2123 (2x 2 in ports 0.4 long)
    The yellow curve is the sealed enclosure

The ported enclosure really drives hard down to 86 hz
    Passively crossing that over would be a challenge but it’s an option

In fact the 300 hertz crossover passive is not that simple either

Biamp if you can

Food for thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ian,
    Thank You for the info. I really appreciate it.

Yes, my 73" DLP is one of the nicer ones with a picture that rivals plasma. This was feedback from friends that saw it and had plasmas. It's Easy to fix, when the chip went bad and lamp went out I just replaced both myself and now I have a NEW TV again, so it's hard to just give up on it. Great for Live sports and concerts! I will have it for a while until something a lot better that doesn't cost a 30 year payment plan to get! LOL! My buddy told me to sell the TV, I didn't laugh when he said that!

Yes, I do have two pairs of JBL 2123's but....when I was opening the package from the seller (he did a great job of packing) and faced the two drivers together with plastic wrap around them so good, it was hard to get all the wrap off. While doing it, one driver slipped and mashed my finger (anyone who has these drivers know they are not exactly light weight drivers) while in the process the edge of the one driver hit the cone of the other and tore the cone! OUCH! So I bought another pair. So I actually have 3 good 2123's and one ripped cone 2123. So I have to have the one repaired or have two reconed to match.

I never thought to use the two pairs like an MTM style arrangement. I would have thought that would be too much but understand the concept of lower distortion via two 2123's per side.

I will make the xovers biamp capable. I will leave myself that option just incase.

I also have Bass Box Pro along with the Xover Pro. I'm still learning with the Bass Box. I also have WinISD for box software. I am leaning towards getting that RTA Software soon help out for measurements. I was going to use a Audio Stepped frequency CD and a SPL meter to start off until I get all the proper measurement tools.

The Beymas come in tomorrow and the ports, Lpads, and Jig (4) come in next week. Then I can get started.

I wanted to do mirror image baffles but I will just do the straight up inline style. Until I do a true JBL clone cab, I will just do it this way for now.

I will post some pics when I have all the drivers together.

Thanks again!

Not too sure about MTM idea in your situation...

Pics please

If you don’t end up needing the 3rd 2123 l will have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Pics please

If you don’t end up needing the 3rd 2123 l will have it.
    Ian, I will try to get some pics of the pair of 2123' with the one that has a ripped cone by the end of the week. I need to pull them out from where I have them stored and open the box to take pics. If I can't have the one repaired, then I will keep the 3rd good one as a backup if all works out. If I end up going in a different direction if the project doesn't fit my needs, then I will put both pairs up for sale. I will keep you updated. Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Not too sure about MTM idea in your situation...
    pos, Yes, That would be interesting to try. But, two 10" mids would be I think a little too much for my room/s. If I had a bigger room, then this may be something I would like to try. I think the 4345 cab with all drivers would be the biggest size I would go for the room size I have.

No worries

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy2 View Post
    pos, Yes, That would be interesting to try. But, two 10" mids would be I think a little too much for my room/s. If I had a bigger room, then this may be something I would like to try. I think the 4345 cab with all drivers would be the biggest size I would go for the room size I have.
    Sorry if I was not clear enough: I don't think MTM is a good idea with these drivers, as the C-C distance between the two 2123H would be far too high for the considered crossover frequency.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...questions.html

It’s a case by case thing if you actually build one

That said the presentation is not traditional

Those Beyma drivers are quite expensive do take your time

I had a pair of ESS AMT-1D's back in the early 90's. These were really nice sound except that the 12" woofers and passive radiators were the weak links. I always missed the Heil Transformer upper end.

I'm still waiting for these to show from ups, there was a mechanical break down some where according to their website and so I have to wait a little longer for delivery. Yes, I will definitely take my time with them and my project. I saw a post on another thread you had mentioned about using the proper driver instead of subs. So I did take notice and put that in my file.

Thanks for the link in the other post.

The Beyma TPL-150's came in today. These are some very nice top quality built drivers. I will try to post some pics tomorrow. Now I just have to order the caps from Erse for the 4344 MKII xovers.

don't do 4344 crossover, do custom crossover....this beyma have to work down to 1000-1500hz, not above....you just waste a beautiful sounding tweeter in this case...

Hi Drummerboy-

I'm following your project with interest. I'm not a JBL guy, so I have to drag slowly thru the dizzying array of 22__ this and 22__ that model numbers! Somebody needs to print a scorecard.

Anyway, having almost zero experience in JBL components (other than installing a hundred of their cabinets when I worked in ProSound), I won't be chipping in with advice.

I have had experience with the MCM woofer that you originally intended to use. It is a well built and good sounding speaker, but don't believe the specifications that MCM publishes. Several purchasers have done their own TS specs on those drivers, and they tend to be way off as published. Especially in sensitivity ratings. So, if you decide to use them as you get your JBL woofs lined up, be sure to measure them in your woofer program.

So, that will be my total contribution here, but I am looking forward to watching your build progress. Hang in there, buddy, and don't let the naysayers get under your skin. Proceed with confidence and joy.

GeeDeeEmm

Thread Information