Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2216Nd, how does a DVC driver work in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    The description you use here seems inaccurate- the two coils are not in opposition to act as a braking force, but the shorted turns do, and act to prevent driver damage. With the actual voice coils, one is pushing, one is pulling, working together, not opposed. It's entirely possible I'm misinterpreting your meaning so apologies if so.

I'm a driver geek but I'd entrust you with JBL bits for service 100x out of 100 compared to my own hamfisting.
    My mind tells me that this topology is analogous to a see-saw action in respect to the sinewave. Push-Pull with regard to pushing the cone outward with one coil while the other coil reverses the motion to pull inward as the sinewave swings from positive to negative. The two gaps act to repel the force of the other coil which would result in a "braking effect".

BTW...thanks for the compliment
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I came across this when considering the 2251Js. Everything you wanted to know about JBL differential driver right from the horse's mouth.

https://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/...-33%20rev3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    My mind tells me that this topology is analogous to a see-saw action in respect to the sinewave. Push-Pull with regard to pushing the cone outward with one coil while the other coil reverses the motion to pull inward as the sinewave swings from positive to negative. The two gaps act to repel the force of the other coil which would result in a "braking effect".

BTW...thanks for the compliment
    Hi edgewound,

I am sure that each VC (connected in series) would produce the some motion in the same direction, depending of the current direction. As You have said that one VC has wound in one direction, while the other one in the opposite direction, as the magnetic field in the top and the bottom plates are in opposite directions.It would be expected that such construction would reduce even harmonics.
    I believe that due to the opposite VC wounding directions would reduce mutual inductance (as JBL sid: "since the reversely wound coils will havenegative mutual inductance between them.", and relative long VC length (0.8") of each VC, and small (3-inch) VC diameter would give small Le.

http://www.daycounter.com/Calculator...lculator.phtml

regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi edgewound,

I am sure that each VC (connected in series) would produce the some motion in the same direction, depending of the current direction. As You have said that one VC has wound in one direction, while the other one in the opposite direction, as the magnetic field in the top and the bottom plates are in opposite directions.It would be expected that such construction would reduce even harmonics.
    I believe that due to the opposite VC wounding directions would reduce mutual inductance (as JBL sid: "since the reversely wound coils will havenegative mutual inductance between them.", and relative long VC length (0.8") of each VC, and small (3-inch) VC diameter would give small Le.

http://www.daycounter.com/Calculator...lculator.phtml

regards
    ivica
    I humbly stand corrected on the operation of the Differential Drive Transducers and how the electromagnetic braking effect works. I found this article by Doug Button...the inventor...of how this driver topology works in practice. He explains in language that makes it pretty understandable.

Hard to believe this is almost 20 years ago.

https://www.svconline.com/news/jbls-...hnology-365983

JBL's Differential Drive technology

Historically, the pro sound industry has gone to larger diameter voice coils and more massive magnet structures to increase loudspeaker output capability
    Doug ButtonApr 1, 1999

Apr 1, 1999 12:00 PM, Doug Button
    Historically, the pro sound industry has gone to larger diameter voicecoils and more massive magnet structures to increase loudspeaker outputcapability within desired degrees of linearity. AT JBL, we are addressingadditional challenges in areas of driver fit and function as we strive tomake them smaller and lighter with no compromise in performance. JBL'sDifferential Drive technology is a step in this direction.
    Differential Drive technology uses a pair of separate, reverse-wound voicecoils on a single voice-coil former and cone. The two coils operate inopposing magnetic fields to accomplish performance similar to aconventional design but in a considerably smaller and lighter structure.Although the dual-coil approach is not new, JBL has improved on the designthrough the application of two new features.
    I will first explain how Differential Drive works by comparing the newdesign with the standard approach. For the sake of making anapples-to-apples comparison, assume that both designs have the same totalflux density in the gap and that the amount of copper and moving mass isthe same in each design. In the traditional JBL structure, magnetic flux Bcrosses a gap in which a coil of copper has a total electrical resistanceof R[e]. These quantities establish the value of the electromechanicalcoupling coefficient, (Bl)2/Re.

In Differential Drive topology, there are two magnetic gaps with opposingflux. The two voice coils are connected in reverse polarity so that themechanical forces they produce will add. For the moving mass to remain thesame, the two voice coils must have the same height and half the thicknessas in the standard design. The value of B will remain the same.

When these changes are made, the total length of the voice coil wire willbe doubled, and the resistance per-unit length of wire will be halved. Thetotal resistance of both voice coils in the series will then be four timeswhat it was with the standard approach. Since the length has doubled, thequantity (Bl)2 will now be four times what it was in the standard approach.This results in a coupling coefficient value of 4(Bl)2/Re. Canceling outthe fours yields the previous value of (Bl)2/Re.

In other words, we have exactly the same coupling coefficient as before,but we have picked up several important advantages relative to thetraditional design. The new voice coil assembly now has twice the surfacearea of the traditional one, and this means that it will have twice theheat dissipation of the traditional single coil, which translates directlyinto twice (+/-3 dB) the power input capability for a given operatingtemperature and observed amount of power compression. The new dual voicecoil structure will have less effective inductance than the standard onebecause the reverse-wound coils will have negative mutual inductancebetween them. This translates into a flatter impedance curve at higherfrequencies, producing more output for a given drive voltage. Finally, thenew design is generally more compact, and when used with neodymium magnets,it requires less steel to complete the magnetic circuit assembly.Consequently, it is much lighter. The design, however, is not limited tonew magnet materials and can be used with standard ferrite magnets withbenefits one and two above still applicable.

The two important design features referred to earlier deal with overallsystem linearity. First, the two voice coils are not placed at the axialcenter points of their respective magnetic gaps; they are symmetricallydisplaced axially outward so that the overall net distribution of fluxdensity in the combined gap space is most linear. This ensures maximumsystem displacement linearity for the moving system.
    In high-level operation, low-frequency high-displacement signals often tendto drive the voice coils out of their linear operating region. Whiletraditional designs rely on progressive suspension designs to constrainthis motion mechanically, the Differential Drive transducers makeadditional use of a shorted electromagnetic braking coil. This is shown inFigure 1. The coil is located mid-way between the two driving coils, and atnormal excursions, it is virtually inert. On high excursions, the shortedcoil enters each magnetic field alternately, and current is induced intothe coil. That induced current, by Lenz's law, acts to oppose the motionthat causes it. The result is additional braking on cone motion, resultingin lower distortion.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Temperature and Magnets

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    I humbly stand corrected on the operation of the Differential Drive Transducers and how the electromagnetic braking effect works. I found this article by Doug Button...the inventor...of how this driver topology works in practice. He explains in language that makes it pretty understandable.

Hard to believe this is almost 20 years ago.

https://www.svconline.com/news/jbls-differential-drive-technology-365983
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet

Historically, the pro sound industry has gone to larger diameter voice coils and more massive magnet structures to increase loudspeaker output capability
    Doug ButtonApr 1, 1999

Apr 1, 1999 12:00 PM, Doug Button
    Historically, the pro sound industry has gone to larger diameter voicecoils and more massive magnet structures to increase loudspeaker outputcapability within desired degrees of linearity. AT JBL, we are addressingadditional challenges in areas of driver fit and function as we strive tomake them smaller and lighter with no compromise in performance. JBL'sDifferential Drive technology is a step in this direction.
    Differential Drive technology uses a pair of separate, reverse-wound voicecoils on a single voice-coil former and cone. The two coils operate inopposing magnetic fields to accomplish performance similar to aconventional design but in a considerably smaller and lighter structure.Although the dual-coil approach is not new, JBL has improved on the designthrough the application of two new features.
    I will first explain how Differential Drive works by comparing the newdesign with the standard approach. For the sake of making anapples-to-apples comparison, assume that both designs have the same totalflux density in the gap and that the amount of copper and moving mass isthe same in each design. In the traditional JBL structure, magnetic flux Bcrosses a gap in which a coil of copper has a total electrical resistanceof R[e]. These quantities establish the value of the electromechanicalcoupling coefficient, (Bl)2/Re.

In Differential Drive topology, there are two magnetic gaps with opposingflux. The two voice coils are connected in reverse polarity so that themechanical forces they produce will add. For the moving mass to remain thesame, the two voice coils must have the same height and half the thicknessas in the standard design. The value of B will remain the same.

When these changes are made, the total length of the voice coil wire willbe doubled, and the resistance per-unit length of wire will be halved. Thetotal resistance of both voice coils in the series will then be four timeswhat it was with the standard approach. Since the length has doubled, thequantity (Bl)2 will now be four times what it was in the standard approach.This results in a coupling coefficient value of 4(Bl)2/Re. Canceling outthe fours yields the previous value of (Bl)2/Re.

In other words, we have exactly the same coupling coefficient as before,but we have picked up several important advantages relative to thetraditional design. The new voice coil assembly now has twice the surfacearea of the traditional one, and this means that it will have twice theheat dissipation of the traditional single coil, which translates directlyinto twice (+/-3 dB) the power input capability for a given operatingtemperature and observed amount of power compression. The new dual voicecoil structure will have less effective inductance than the standard onebecause the reverse-wound coils will have negative mutual inductancebetween them. This translates into a flatter impedance curve at higherfrequencies, producing more output for a given drive voltage. Finally, thenew design is generally more compact, and when used with neodymium magnets,it requires less steel to complete the magnetic circuit assembly.Consequently, it is much lighter. The design, however, is not limited tonew magnet materials and can be used with standard ferrite magnets withbenefits one and two above still applicable.

The two important design features referred to earlier deal with overallsystem linearity. First, the two voice coils are not placed at the axialcenter points of their respective magnetic gaps; they are symmetricallydisplaced axially outward so that the overall net distribution of fluxdensity in the combined gap space is most linear. This ensures maximumsystem displacement linearity for the moving system.
    In high-level operation, low-frequency high-displacement signals often tendto drive the voice coils out of their linear operating region. Whiletraditional designs rely on progressive suspension designs to constrainthis motion mechanically, the Differential Drive transducers makeadditional use of a shorted electromagnetic braking coil. This is shown inFigure 1. The coil is located mid-way between the two driving coils, and atnormal excursions, it is virtually inert. On high excursions, the shortedcoil enters each magnetic field alternately, and current is induced intothe coil. That induced current, by Lenz's law, acts to oppose the motionthat causes it. The result is additional braking on cone motion, resultingin lower distortion.
    Hi edgewound,

Many thanks for the presented explanation, I think it is much more clear. Only one thing here I want to impasse, using neodymium magnet in the middle of magnetic structure would heat-up the magnet, and as neodymium magnets are sensitive to the higher temperature it would be better to be used samarium-cobalt magnet type, but Asian production of such magnets are very expensive too.

http://www.magmamagnets.com/magnets-...net-stability/

I have not seen any JBL words about that.

regards
    ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information