Thread: Looking for help with polarity and service

Looking for help with polarity and service

Greetings,

I've had these old speakers forever. I think they are Altec Lansing Flamencos and that the horn is an 811(18") and the speaker 416Z(?). I received them from my step dad 40 years ago. The cloth has been missing for decades and they are a bit are old and rough looking. That said they sound AWESOME!

http://www.sitnsail.com/hairfarm/Alt...ers/index.html

Over the last few years the audio from one of them (on the right side) is beginning to cut out more often. Especially when I first power up the Onkyo amplifier to play them and it also at happens at low volume. If I crank up the volume loud then the audio will sometimes cut back in. Sometimes I have to whack it (like Fonzie on Happy Days) on the side of the cabinet to get it to play again. I took it apart hoping to see a loose wire that I could solder but everything looks OK. So I'm going to replace the speaker wire but there is no + or - identified on the rear.

There are two wires going into the potentiometer(?) An orange one and a brown one. Can someone please look at the following photo and tell me which color (orange or brown) is the positive and negative? How do I measure positive and negative? I want to make sure to hook up my speaker wire in correct polarity.
    http://www.sitnsail.com/hairfarm/Alt...49%20copy.html

Is there a place I can send my two potentiometers to for rebuild/repair. What would cause the audio to occasionally cut out yet fixed by hitting the speaker cabinet with my fist? The cutting out of audio is getting really annoying while trying listen to music and my hand is getting sore.

Thanks!

Hairfarmer

Not really a potentiometer, it's an L-pad, a ratio of two resistances, which ratio is varied by moving a springy metal wiper along a conductive surface. Things can happen over time to compromise the connection being made. When you turn up the amp you send higher voltage, which can sometimes cause the current to leap whatever problem has developed. Try rotating the treble level knob a few times for a (likely) temporary fix.

When it comes to digging onto one of those crossovers for a repair, I don't have much to offer. Deeper wisdom about Altec stuff can be got at the Altec User's Board.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by hairfarmer View Post
    Thanks Speaker Dave. Can you please point me to the the Alec Users Forum? My hope is to find someone who can repair my "L-Pads".
    You can just google it.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I'm also looking for a replacement for the part circled in yellow in the attached image. I believe these are referred to as "Crossovers"(?). These also house the L-Pads too, correct?

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for my old "crossover" components? I believe these may be the source of my intermittent audio problems. The speakers will cut out occasionally.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page14.jpg
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page15.jpg

Name:  20180119_123749 copy.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  377.9 KB

Thank you.

The network used in that speaker is the N800F .

It's schematic is easily find-able through Google .

I doubt that having anyone build you a new pair would be cost-effective if your intentions are to sell these speakers ( as you've mentioned in past threads ).

Best to move-em on down the road as-is.

If you are in Los Angeles (L.A.) as in your info, contact Speaker Repair Pros in Garden Grove, Orange County. Check with him over the phone if you're bringing in the entire speakers for evaluation and repairs.

you may also have problems with the amp and its speaker relay if the sound is intermittent and comes back by raising the volume - increased signal punching through temporarily some oxidation. The relay can be cleaned with DeOxit D5 if carefully disassembled. Check Audiokarma.org for more help.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I doubt that having anyone build you a new pair would be cost-effective if your intentions are to sell these speakers ( as you've mentioned in past threads ).
    Yeah, that post was a long time ago. I plan to keep them now. Thank you for the schematic.

If you are in Los Angeles (L.A.) as in your info, contact Speaker Repair Pros in Garden Grove, Orange County. Check with him over the phone if you're bringing in the entire speakers for evaluation and repairs.

you may also have problems with the amp and its speaker relay if the sound is intermittent and comes back by raising the volume - increased signal punching through temporarily some oxidation. The relay can be cleaned with DeOxit D5 if carefully disassembled. Check Audiokarma.org for more help.
    Thank so much for the recommendation and product advice. I re-ran new speaker wire and used contact cleaner on bother crossovers/l-pads but the right speaker is still cutting in and out at low volume. Your theory about oxidation makes sense. I'll call the speaker repair shop you recommended. I'd like to get these restored if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hairfarmer View Post
    Yeah, that post was a long time ago. I plan to keep them now. Thank you for the schematic.

Thank so much for the recommendation and product advice. I re-ran new speaker wire and used contact cleaner on bother crossovers/l-pads but the right speaker is still cutting in and out at low volume. Your theory about oxidation makes sense. I'll call the speaker repair shop you recommended. I'd like to get these restored if possible.
    Let him know that Bart Yee referred you.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information