Thread: Too Much Music

Too Much Music

Is that even possible....maybe, at least for me.
    Just thought you guys might find this article interesting, I was intrigued by the picture of course

https://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...ated-listening
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just Play Music.

Other than being in the music business, I may have been through every mentioned phase of this. My eureka moment was when I joined Rhapsody, now Napster, realizing I could quickly locate and stream more music I actually would enjoy than I had life left to listen to it. Since Tidal offers the content lossless, there is no longer any valid audiophile argument to counter this.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I think Crumb has a sense of this issue.....the fourth panel kills me every time
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just Play Music.

Fyi...

Name:  R crumb records.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  93.8 KB

I agree with the articles premise , but mainly to streaming MOVIES = Netflix.

but movies and audio are consumed in different ways. Most films I view once and then on to the next (yes, with many exceptions) . I have to be stationary and dedicated to view films.

As good as streamed films can look, I can tell the difference with a DVD.

Audio - I can run it while multi-tasking. The selections that warrant repeated auditions are now mostly in my collections and are at hand. Much of what I enjoy, have not been available for streaming.

Being an "empty nester" , there is plenty of storage space for media.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I've always been a "buy not lease' kind of consumer. I enjoy being able to cue up fave audio whether my net connection is up or not.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Very cool hsosdrum, thanks for the posting. I like his gear in particular.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I agree with the articles premise , but mainly to streaming MOVIES = Netflix.

but movies and audio are consumed in different ways. Most films I view once and then on to the next (yes, with many exceptions) . I have to be stationary and dedicated to view films.

As good as streamed films can look, I can tell the difference with a DVD.

Audio - I can run it while multi-tasking. The selections that warrant repeated auditions are now mostly in my collections and are at hand. Much of what I enjoy, have not been available for streaming.

Being an "empty nester" , there is plenty of storage space for media.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I've always been a "buy not lease' kind of consumer. I enjoy being able to cue up fave audio whether my net connection is up or not.
    I agree with you on both counts dvd & music. the convenience of ipod and streaming music services is hard to resist or pass. I put a large part of my music on my pc and even installed a mini d/a converter which helped a great deal
    but if I put on the cd it sounds better than whats on the pc. Ditto for the music I put on my ipod, good but still not quite there. Music streaming from Napster (Rhapsody) is actually better at least IMO, but if I like something I will
    inevitably purchase it on cd, I must own a physical tangible copy of it, very compulsive but what can I do its just the way I'm wired I suppose.
    There literally is a S#*t load of music available from all places that I find almost overwhelming. To a large extent I am glad I am not a teenager with this much access to all this music though I would certainly have more time to indulge
    my habit. For me at least the cd is great but the whole experience of the LP artwork etc. was severely compromised due to the small nature of the cd package itself.
    I thought the author had some very good point but at this stage it seems like the Genie is out of the bottle sort a speak. I know vinyl has a resurgence with some of the young kids and I am glad that some of them are curious
    enough to look into it. For now I will take advantage of it all to suit my tastes which are always shifting
    Just Play Music.

Thread Information