Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the 2018 CES Unexpected Get Together.

I had them inside for a while. Honestly I didn’t have any real reason to take them out other than they are safe in the garage where the 4365’s are not.

There are as you likely know a couple of folks on DIY that have been working pretty hard on figuring these out.

I think about building some and chasing a more HiFi recepie but that will several projects away.

All the best,
    Barry
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I know the feeling

Anything not already in the queue is 2019

Next is the new pool for the new house due for completion soon

It’s currently 42c outside. 24 c inside

That’s a blistering 107.6 F.

I need to reassess my priorities occasionally!

Hi Barry, thank you for your support. Please let me know if you have any questions..., or corrections :-)

Thanks for confirming the Community boxer bass horns. I was working at a studio in Vancouver at the time and a friend of mine who mixes live sound and does installs, invited me for an afternoon of listening to this rig at the club before opening. Mean is right! A single M4 in that big horn requires double bass horns with 2 drivers each and 2 x high frequency horns, each with two compression drivers, in order to keep up with it. Hope you find a pair. Looking forward to seeing the patio rig!

Kind regards,
    Mitch

Name:  Patio Sys.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  72.3 KB

It's not a thing of beauty, to the eyes anyway.

Barry.

Wow, those Leviathans sure look nice...
    Thanks for sharing!
    What are the acoustcial crossover points and slopes of the whole system?

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Name:  Patio Sys.jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  72.3 KB

It's not a thing of beauty, to the eyes anyway.

Barry.
    Barry,

It's great to see this stuff still in action / I imagine some of the senior "men-about-audio" when they're in town for something like CES want to come by just to get a taste from someone still "keeping it real" ( so to speak ).

Those top radials have really wide even dispersion ( not in the same way that a constant directivity horn spreads > just consistent output across the full horizontal axis ).

Here's a study of traces for the smaller SRH90 radial :

My study supports the claims made in this old CLS blurb.Name:  BRH90.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  110.6 KBName:  BRH90_edit.PNG
Views: 2795
Size:  151.7 KB

I gather this type of radial design was a direct descendant of RCAs 120deg radial horn, as used in the LC-9A ( outlined in the thread behind this clickable pic ).

It seems to me that JBL used a version of this radial in their S(M)9500 statement speaker.

What is the low end extension of these beasts in the near field? ...and beasts really seems appropriate here.

Also, what is your typical listening distance?

Widget

Hi Thomas;
    The crossover points are 250Hz 24dB LR, 850Hz 24dB Bessel on the Levi's and 24dB LR on the 2482, and 5.3kHz 24dB LR. The 2482's just roll off with no LP on top. There is some PEQ trimming most everywhere but not much for EQ.
    I find these good split point compromises on big systems for minimally dividing sounds I find important like voice, bass guitar and snare. I work to get them right and follow up with piano.
    I also usually keep crossover points at or near one third octave EQ points. I have no solid reason for this but being able to boost and cut points at crossover centers while listening helps me get them dialed in faster. Being able to run TEF under the music for measurement makes the measuring much easier to endure.

Hi Earl;
    This old Community stuff really sounds good in my opinion. It doesn't array so easily and I get why it's time in live sound has passed. The new big Danley offerings are flat amazing.
    Community Bruce was a very early adopter of TEF and took the time to measure everyone else's stuff and embarked on a journey to create horns that measured and sounded great.
    One things that amazes me it the internal finish of Community horns. Where the radial horn pinches down like the references you posted show, the transitions are absolutely undetectable. They are absolutely gorgeous inside and while I have met Bruce several times I never thought to ask him how they do that. This year at INFOCOMM I will.
    The (slightly varied) radials like the 9500, 4338, and 4365 do squeeze like the RCA/Community's. The JBL's are obviously shorter and side walls are very slightly curved as well. Just the fallout of a rapid flare rate I suppose.
    I have heard the Ocean Way version of the LC-9A and they got them pretty right in my book!

Hi Mr. Widget;
    Flat to 40Hz.
    Anywhere about 15 feet or more is pretty well integrated. I did a lot of work on the crossovers to get it as seamless as I could.
    I bought a BSS 160 and once I get it in the system I hope to get it better yet.
    I don't have a super cool house for entertaining (small ranch house) but anyone who gets out this way is more than welcome to come for a listen. Be glad to see ya.
    Barry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Back in the early 1980s in Orange County was a band named "The Snowmen", from Erie, PA. They were CA touring to try to make the big time. White makeup like Kiss, and everything on stage was white. Probably a mistake, but they put on a stellar show.

Their sound system consisted of the Community big bathtub bass horns loaded with dual Gauss 15", a Gauss 2" driver on biradial horn and the Gauss bullet on top.

Best sounding system I had ever heard in a club...ever. Sounded like a record coming from the huge horn speakers. No detail was spared, the band were great, polished performers/musicians... and the sound man knew what he was doing.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Hi Barry,

Thanks for sharing a pic of your fantastic CL&S system! As another TEF early adopter, I am sure it sounds great!

Kind regards, Mitch

I got to spend another evening with the CL&S rig. Mid 80’s f, 16% with a slight breeze. The only thing that could make it any better is if I didn’t have neighbors within rifle range and could turn it up!

It’s ironic that of all the speaker systems I have, this one brings me the most joy.

I hope you all had an evening as nice.

My best,
    Barry.

Thread Information