Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL by HARMAN Introduces Updated, Iconic JBL L100 Loudspeaker at CES 2018

Quote Originally Posted by jpw retired View Post
    It will be interesting to hear how much of the original L-100 sound was left in the new replacement.
    I doubt if JBL will take out all the color they can. They will probably leave at least vestiges of the originals sonic signature.
    The stands looked a bit short to me for optimum imaging etc. Perhaps it was an aesthetic choice.

Given over a 70 year history of building speakers, I have often wondered why JBL does not or has not resurrected other famous models from the past.
    Ford, Chevy and Chrysler presumably make a fortune doing resto-mods on Mustangs, Camaro's, and Challengers.
    Several JBL models come to mind as good candidates including the Hartsfield, L-300 and various 43 series monitors.
    Ford is doing another Mustang "Bullitt" - will be at the auto show this month.

Well Do They ???????????????

So the real question is will these new grills retrofit onto the original L100 cabinets.

If so JBLs gonna sell more grills than speakers.

Oldmics

They at least used real walnut veneer on these like the originals! Most of JBL’s other current offerings use “manufactured” veneers that are not all that wonderful in my opinion.

These are likely similar to the retro Ford T-Bird of a few years back. They will appeal to a certain market segment but not be a huge seller.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    They at least used real walnut veneer on these like the originals! Most of JBL’s other current offerings use “manufactured” veneers that are not all that wonderful in my opinion.

These are likely similar to the retro Ford T-Bird of a few years back. They will appeal to a certain market segment but not be a huge seller.

Widget
    Good analogy!

The retro 2002 to 2005 T-Bird appealed to me until I sat in one and drove it. At least in that case I had the real-world experience to justify changing my original enthusiasm for the car. From that time forward, I viewed them quite differently when I saw someone driving one.

I loved the '55 to '57 T-Birds a lot, and wish I would have hung onto one. It's certainly a nostalgia thing, because even the most mundane car today is far superior to those beautiful 'Birds in virtually every practical way.

At least in this JBL case, I've still got the original straight-line L100 (two pairs) and I won't have too much desire for the new "Classic." But if I ever get the chance to sit in a seat and hear a "Classic," I wonder if I'll lose the nostalgia for the old and long for the new?

Off the cuff opinions are wonderful, but experience usually trumps it for me.
    Out.

What's the differences between L100 and 4312 series?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    What's the differences between L100 and 4312 series?
    Obviously there will be the differences in the drivers, crossover, tuning etc that somebody will eventually post here. In regards to the sound we will just have to wait to compare them. I had a pair of 4312's for awhile and was not impressed. A dull persistent thump in the mid bass, a rather opaque midrange, some metal dome fizz, just not very natural sounding overall. I did not have a pair of original L-100's to compare them with to see how closely the 4312 mimic's the L-100. Personally I do not want the obvious colorations of either the L-100 or 4312 built into the new L-100 Classic. To me the good things about the L-100 were their high output capability, and good for the time clarity and definition, all in a fairly compact enclosure. Improve upon those traits, then smooth the response for low coloration, and finally give me a little more extension down low and up high and it will be a winner if the price does not scare people away. The vertical array should improve imaging too.

On a side note, it's true that $273 each was the most remembered retail price for the original L-100. From memory I think they started out at $264 and over the 8 years they were offered went up into the $315-$317 each area. Using the cost of living calculator those final retail prices would end up putting the L-100 Classic pretty close to $4000. Remember too that discounting on JBL was very limited in the early to mid 70's. Today is a different story, so maybe the value is not as bad as some people may think.

Obviously there will be the differences in the drivers, crossover, tuning etc that somebody will eventually post here. In regards to the sound we will just have to wait to compare them. I had a pair of 4312's for awhile and was not impressed. A dull persistent thump in the mid bass, a rather opaque midrange, some metal dome fizz, just not very natural sounding overall. I did not have a pair of original L-100's to compare them with to see how closely the 4312 mimic's the L-100. Personally I do not want the obvious colorations of either the L-100 or 4312 built into the new L-100 Classic. To me the good things about the L-100 were their high output capability, and good for the time clarity and definition, all in a fairly compact enclosure. Improve upon those traits, then smooth the response for low coloration, and finally give me a little more extension down low and up high and it will be a winner if the price does not scare people away. The vertical array should improve imaging too.

On a side note, it's true that $273 each was the most remembered retail price for the original L-100. From memory I think they started out at $264 and over the 8 years they were offered went up into the $315-$317 each area. Using the cost of living calculator those final retail prices would end up putting the L-100 Classic pretty close to $4000. Remember too that discounting on JBL was very limited in the early to mid 70's. Today is a different story, so maybe the value is not as bad as some people may think.
    L100 is consumer version of the 4311, which sells over 125,000 pairs in the 1970s.
    46 lover

I think a 3 way system that size is what it is no matter what they do to it.

I do like the look of it though.

Modern vintage decor is on trend so l imagine Jbl want a slice of that market

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I think a 3 way system that size is what it is no matter what they do to it.

I do like the look of it though.

Modern vintage decor is on trend so l imagine Jbl want a slice of that market

1st sentence - A-men.

I read the new L100 was 25.5×15.5×13.75 vs old L100 23.5×14.5×13.625.
    new grills are made of Quadrex.
    Sounds like their just using the name plate.

Remember too that discounting on JBL was very limited in the early to mid 70's. .
    back then JBL maintained their MSRP price through a BS "Fair Trade" scheme.

here's an interesting google books article about JBL demanding $200K from LaFayette Radio for selling JBL under MSRP

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mi...%20jbl&f=false

There is also reference to FT prices in the John Eargle book .... https://books.google.com/books?id=oH...%20jbl&f=false

page about "Clark kent & The Super Shelf"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    ^ LaFayette selling the L100 for $199.88 instead of MSRP $297. Oh the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    back then JBL maintained their MSRP price through a BS "Fair Trade" scheme.

here's an interesting google books article about JBL demanding $200K from LaFayette Radio for selling JBL under MSRP

https://books.google.com/books?id=Mi...%20jbl&f=false

There is also reference to FT prices in the John Eargle book .... https://books.google.com/books?id=oH...%20jbl&f=false

page about "Clark kent & The Super Shelf"
    Yeah, the FTC killed that whole "Fair Trade" scheme by around 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    Yeah, the FTC killed that whole "Fair Trade" scheme by around 1980.
    I sold JBL during the Fair Trade era. It was widely ignored as it should have been. Creative ways could always be found to discount.
    Inflate the value of a trade-in or it was a display model etc. JBL did have less markup than many of the brands back then so when a discount was given it was not as large.

2018 CES thoughts...4367 and L100 Classic...

I posted this in another thread, "4367 first listen". Harman has their work cut out for them.

I listened to the 4367 at CES along with the new L100 Classic.

I preferred the midrange voicing, soundstage and imaging of the L100 Classic over the 4367. I preferred the effortless bass response of the 4367.

The midrange...voices, sax, piano, guitar...retreated into the box with the 4376, whereas with the L100 Classic it was nicely set in front of the speakers in the room. The high end was actually nicer with the 4367, more detailed and present. The build quality on the L100 Classic is suspect with the front baffle vinyl covering peeling off the left demo speaker. The quadrex grille foam will not fit the original L100 as the new model is significantly larger. Not worth $4,000.00/pair. It's not built in the US with US craftsmen, so you can throw the inflation calculator out the window. The build quality of the 4367 is excellent as it should be for $15,000.00/pair, but the walnut veneer is nowhere close to the old days. It's looks are "non-organic. Same with the L100 Classic. The Logo plate/L-Pad mount on the L100 Classic is also pretty cheesy looking.

Down the hall at ELAC with Andrew Jones, I heard a phenomenal new series named ARGO. A super compact, actively triamped, diminutive system that puts anything to shame Harman currently offers, all for a price of $2,000.00/pair coming mid-year.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information