Thread: Help me establish a fair price for DIY JBL system

Help me establish a fair price for DIY JBL system

Guys, I have a 15 year old DIY JBL triamp stereo speaker system that I may not have room for where I am moving as I already have a pair of 4367's I am keeping and a pair of DD-67000's I am trying to sell. The system consists of 2226H 15" woofers, 2344a midrange horns, 2426H midrange compression drivers and 2404 treble horns. Many of you know the horns because of their "butt cheek" shape. All the drivers work fine according to my ear and RTA measurements. The ported cabinets are 5 cubic feet and are still unfinished mdf although they would look better if they were painted flat black to match the horns. I had a metal shop custom fabricate steel frames fill-able with sand for the midrange and treble horns/drivers to mount to. They sit in a vertical array on top of the speaker cabinets, which have casters for easy moving. A Marchand Electronic three way crossover and a JBL AVA-7 120 watt x 7 channel amplifier powers the system in a tri-amp configuration with one channel sitting idle. I would have to open up the crossover to be sure of the crossover frequencies but I think they are around 900hz and 4.5khz. These speakers definitely rock and I currently use them in my heated garage for music while I work on my cars or this or that project.

My internet searches show used raw drivers and horn prices to be in the $1000 range or better for all of them. The crossover was around $1500 new and the amp was $2500 new. The cabinets and custom frames were expensive since I did not build them, but I do not expect to get anywhere near full price back here.

I have no packing and pickup would have to be local to either Des Moines, IA, or if I move them, to the Denver, Colorado area.

Thanks for your input.

It's very difficult to sell home made speakers especially when they aren't a copy of a factory built speaker. Parting them out on eBay may be your best bet, but on ebay I have bought pairs of 2226 drivers for $100.00, 2404 tweeters for $125.00. I'm not sure what the other stuff is worth?

Robertg, thanks for your response. I will try to shoe horn them into my new smaller garage. Unless I can sell them as a complete system, they will be too much work with all the various transactions.

Thread Information