Thread: 1980 jbl l112 century ii

1980 jbl l112 century ii

Picked these up

What does the JBL Forum recommend for an Integrated tube or tube amplifier ($0-2800 range)? Looking to graduate from SS to tubes. If anyone would like to provide a little background on performance of recommended amps that would be great.

Happy New Year to everyone

Not really the question you asked but: The L112 wants power and lots of it. The harder its pushed the better it sounds. So whatever amp you look at, keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Not really the question you asked but: The L112 wants power and lots of it. The harder its pushed the better it sounds. So whatever amp you look at, keep that in mind.
    Yes. Those really sounded good with the old Crown D series amps of choice. I did say old. Scarce pickings. Not sure tubes are a step up in this case. Look at Mike Sanders offerings. Quicksilver on the www.

If you can find one or two Rotel RB 980 RX on craigslist for 2-3 hundred a piece I think you'll be pretty happy. 80 amps of peak current. Then buy a Rotel RCD 1072 CD with the money you save, and be even more happy. They are well respected product, and a bargan to boot.

FWIW: Since 1980 I've run mine off a Crown D150 in my bedroom. Neither the amp nor the speakers have ever been moved in the past 38 years! When we move I plan on trying them with a PS-200 or PS-400 but in that room they were just fine with the D150. Mac C20 tube front end though.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Two cent advice:
    To get the most out of the bass driver, in particular, I'd be looking at a pentode/ultralinear output stage in the 80w+ zone.
    You might also consider a tube pre (maybe a bit newer than a C20 ) and 100-200w SS power amp.

Thanks for the replies. Stands were finished by Friday, I was going to stain but decided not to after spot testing rubbed teak oil.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Stands were finished by Friday, I was going to stain but decided not to after spot testing rubbed teak oil.
    Those look fantastic! Great job.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Those look fantastic! Great job.
    Thanks! I'm happy it turned out well.

Thread Information