Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crown D45 Enough For a 2446H?

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    I'm up to seven Crowns now, however one old D75 doesn't work. I can also count seven other amps and two receivers. However I don't have anything that I can listen to without hooking something up. I think I like buying them more than listening to them.
    I've owned Crowns since around 1970 and JBLs since my Dad bought his first one in 1957 but it wasn't until I joined this forum years ago that I got into the acquisition of Crowns as a hobby unto itself. I blame/credit a departed member here, Tom Loizeaux who shared my enthusiasm for Crown amps and introduced me to the PS-series:

Name:  Pile of Crown amps copy.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  39.8 KB

A quick count of what I have now would probably be close to 15 Crown amps from D45 to Studio Reference II.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I picked them all up yesterday. One of the D-45A amps makes a big pop when I turn it off, It goes to about 2V on power down. The other D series amps are good.

The PS-400 which was working perfect according to the eBay seller has 65V of DC offset. it was thrown in a box with a few bubble pillows. It didn't get damaged externally. Is there a chance that something internally was damaged to cause the DC offset issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I picked them all up yesterday. One of the D-45A amps makes a big pop when I turn it off, It goes to about 2V on power down. The other D series amps are good.

The PS-400 which was working perfect according to the eBay seller has 65V of DC offset. it was thrown in a box with a few bubble pillows. It didn't get damaged externally. Is there a chance that something internally was damaged to cause the DC offset issue?
    Some peoples concept of proper packing amazes me!

Can you hear any loose parts inside falling around when you shake the amp?
    It could be a loose screw stuck somewhere it shouldn't be, a dead rail on the power supply, shorted output transistors though that normally blows the power supply fuse.

Do you have any recourse with the seller with their lack of proper packing that may have caused the hidden damage.

I can't see anything loose on the PS-400. The seller is willing to co-operate, I just have to get a repair estimate. The rest of it looks clean, just one ear bent from the poor packaging.

The D-45A has a couple of black spots right under R1 and R2, hopefully it's a simple fix. I've read that those resistors overheat. It's hardly worth fixing a $75.00 amp, however it's worth nothing now.

I went down the same path with a filled half rack and looking for a 1U. These units just sit there and cook with marginal to no ventilation. Add hot equipment above/below or both and you have guaranteed failure.
    Most likely there will be another solution which is going to make my life easier in the long run. Greg uses sweet little integrated amps for tweeters that have a bypass selector and relay. I'm almost with him on this.

I have a newer D-45 from China and it has mild DC output on turn on. The turn off slowly ramps up to over 1v DC. I'm not comfortable with using this on NLA diaphragms.

There are two dead 6215 units here and one is almost working. R50 and the surrounding area was cooked beyond well done. That resistor and area is part of the protection circuit. I've repaired traces, put in stouter components, and added a gap between them and the board.
    I need to go back and confirm one channel before powering again. That could involve pulling transistors, diodes, stk module. Beware of fake stk modules floating around while we're here.
    Hardly worth it and it doesn't inspire confidence when the protection is the first thing to burst into flames. The rest of this series of UREI amps are solid.

I'm up to seven Crowns now, however one old D75 doesn't work. I can also count seven other amps and two receivers. However I don't have anything that I can listen to without hooking something up. I think I like buying them more than listening to them.
    FYI - There is a D60 as well which is my favorite - it sounds better than the D75 (to me) - smoother top end, tight bass, all around better amp - and has no turn-off bump. Have used them for 35 years!

The D60 was one of original amps I took home to audition back in 1970, or so, when I was looking to replace my Fisher SA1000 tube amp. The Crown/McIntosh dealer sent me home with the D60, D150, and DC300. I felt the sound of my JBL 030s improved with each more powerful amp but the D60 was more in my price range and the DC300 was far beyond it. So I compromised and bought the D150—which I still own today. I've not pursued the D60 in my Crown collectivism simply because I think the newest D60 is several years older than the oldest D75A or the D45s made in that same more-modern front-panel look (Macro-Tech knobs). I could be wrong and, to be fair, I've not compared the D60 to the D45 or D75A.

Riddle me this: Why is the D45 the "D-45" and the D75 the "D-75" but the D60 is the "D 60" without the hyphen? The D150 didn't grow a hyphen until the "D-150A SERIES II". Same with DC 300 which didn't grow its hyphen until the "DC-300A SERIES II". Sort of like the Ashly XR1001 and the XR-1001.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The D60 was one of original amps I took home to audition back in 1970, or so, when I was looking to replace my Fisher SA1000 tube amp. The Crown/McIntosh dealer sent me home with the D60, D150, and DC300. I felt the sound of my JBL 030s improved with each more powerful amp but the D60 was more in my price range and the DC300 was far beyond it. So I compromised and bought the D150—which I still own today. I've not pursued the D60 in my Crown collectivism simply because I think the newest D60 is several years older than the oldest D75A or the D45s made in that same more-modern front-panel look (Macro-Tech knobs). I could be wrong and, to be fair, I've not compared the D60 to the D45 or D75A.

Riddle me this: Why is the D45 the "D-45" and the D75 the "D-75" but the D60 is the "D 60" without the hyphen? The D150 didn't grow a hyphen until the "D-150A SERIES II". Same with DC 300 which didn't grow its hyphen until the "DC-300A SERIES II". Sort of like the Ashly XR1001 and the XR-1001.
    Yeah - I lost track. These D60s were part of my old tri-amp set up from back in the seventies/eighties. Agree re the D150 sounding best.

I saw a few D60 amps for sale, however they were all really old. I think I had enough of old amps.

My tech looked at the PS400 and confirmed it has some shorts, however he doesn’t want to touch it. I think it’s pretty complicated to work on. At least the seller refunded me the money that I paid for it and hopefully I can find someone to work on it.

The seller of the bad D45 is going to send me another one if I pay for shipping. Hopefully this one will work.

I saw a few D60 amps for sale, however they were all really old. I think I had enough of old amps.

My tech looked at the PS400 and confirmed it has some shorts, however he doesn’t want to touch it. I think it’s pretty complicated to work on. At least the seller refunded me the money that I paid for it and hopefully I can find someone to work on it.

The seller of the bad D45 is going to send me another one if I pay for shipping. Hopefully this one will work.
    They are old. Bought mine new in 1979 - pretty much the end of production prior to D75 release. Also, were never abused - TLC. I have a number of old amps on the shelf needing work but doubt they will ever see the light of day - some use proprietary parts. Also, I have found that repairs with today's parts never result in comparable performance. It's a losing battle. Gotta move on. Mike

Thread Information