Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown D45 Enough For a 2446H?

Crown D45 Enough For a 2446H?

I’m running a D75 right now and it has more than enough power for home use, but I don’t like the noise that it makes when I shut it off. I’ve read here that the D45 doesn’t make any noise at shut down.

I would like to stick with a 1U amp because I’m running out of room in my rack.

There won’t be any l-pads, this is part of an active 3-way, soon to be 4-way. I have a few UREI 6215 amps that would work fine, but two are having problems and my tech is having a hard time repairing them. At least they are quiet on shutdown.

Looking on eBay, the D45 amps seem like a bargain, and so do most Crown amps.

I have three D45s I bought for a future bi-amping of my Dad's old 030 system with Crown VFX2A crossovers and a PS200 on the bottom. I've not had any turn-on, or turn-off thump issues with any of them and I have used them enough to confirm proper operation. But then I've never had that issue with the several D75As I have, either. The D45 is a very quiet amp.

Why do I own three of them? I purchased a pair together off Ebay and one arrived with a slightly damaged rack ear. It was easily repaired but not before I vented on the seller about their packing. To make it up to me, they sent me a third one at no charge! So I guess I have $66 in each of them and they now look and play as new.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I have three D45s I bought for a future bi-amping of my Dad's old 030 system with Crown VFX2A crossovers and a PS200 on the bottom. I've not had any turn-on, or turn-off thump issues with any of them and I have used them enough to confirm proper operation. But then I've never had that issue with the several D75As I have, either. The D45 is a very quiet amp.

Why do I own three of them? I purchased a pair together off Ebay and one arrived with a slightly damaged rack ear. It was easily repaired but not before I vented on the seller about their packing. To make it up to me, they sent me a third one at no charge! So I guess I have $66 in each of them and they now look and play as new.
    Whenever I search Crown amps I usually run across your posts from this forum or others. I just ended up buying a couple of D45's on eBay to run my 2446's and 2405's. I have a McIntosh MC2500 for the bottom end, and hopefully I can find a Crown PS-400 for my lower mids, JBL 2206.

But then I've never had that issue with the several D75As I have, either.
    I have a D75, the old silver one. I'm assuming the D75A is the newer version? I wonder if they changed anything in the newer models to get rid of the turn off noise?

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    I have a D75, the old silver one. I'm assuming the D75A is the newer version? I wonder if they changed anything in the newer models to get rid of the turn off noise?
    Actually, I don't have that issue with the PS200 and PS400 used with the 4345s. I know they incorporated a turn-on delay which my previous D150A-II and DC300A-II didn't have and they did have a "thump" as the capacitors unloaded on turn-off. Barely audible on the PS-series now and certainly doesn't seem to be in the range of the compression drivers. I don't have a 75A or 45 hooked up or accessible right now to try but I can check. I'm a bit discombobulated right now as we're building a house (see Off-Topic forum). I use the Adcom ACE-515 in the big system but I doubt that affects the turn-off sound.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hi Robert;

The D45’s do not thump on power down like the D75’s do. They do continue to pass signal while the power supply drains.

The difference in power will mean less than 3dB loss. I use them on a 2482/2426 mid and hf horn application and I have only clipped the IOC lights showing off.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I ended up buying a PS-400 off eBay also. I'm also bidding on a Crown PSA-2 which looks interesting, however I can't find much information on it.

Here this might help you The Crown site has a bunch of stuff in the support section
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I tried to register a couple of times on the Crown audio forum, but it never worked. I filled out everything but didn't get any response.

The PSA-2 went for $610.00 on eBay, way more than I was willing to spend.

I tried to register a couple of times on the Crown audio forum, but it never worked. I filled out everything but didn't get any response.

The PSA-2 went for $610.00 on eBay, way more than I was willing to spend.

In case you have not heard Crown has all but pulled out of their original Elkhart, Indiana location and moved most of the production and service operation to Mexico with a customer service center located in Texas.

Whenever I search Crown amps I usually run across your posts from this forum or others. I just ended up buying a couple of D45's on eBay to run my 2446's and 2405's. I have a McIntosh MC2500 for the bottom end, and hopefully I can find a Crown PS-400 for my lower mids, JBL 2206.
    How did the D45 work out?

I know they moved, but i doubt if I would call customer service for vintage amps.

I didn't pick up the D45's yet. I live in Canada but get them shipped to a USA address, probably going there on Friday. I ended up buying a couple of D75a's also.

I didn't pick up the D45's yet. I live in Canada but get them shipped to a USA address, probably going there on Friday. I ended up buying a couple of D75a's also.
    We'll have to compare our matching excesses of Crown amps some day!

We'll have to compare our matching excesses of Crown amps some day!
    I'm up to seven Crowns now, however one old D75 doesn't work. I can also count seven other amps and two receivers. However I don't have anything that I can listen to without hooking something up. I think I like buying them more than listening to them.

Thread Information