Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My JBL DIY

My JBL DIY

Thought I'd like to share my JBL DIY with you all.

It consists of 2215 woofers, 2202 lower mid-range, LE85 upper mid-range, 077 UHF.

I constructed and built the crossover with attenuators for the 3 upper elements. Crossover frequencies 230Hz, 1200Hz and 7000Hz. 12db.

The 2202 have a small closed box. The 2215 have the rest of the box, which is quite large. 55 x 55cm footprint. 125cm high. The baffle is tilted 5cm back. The bass reflex is tuned as low as i could. I don't have proper measuring equipment to say the frequency response within +-3db. With frequency generator you can hear them playing down to 18Hz before the big silence.

To drive this I use Norwegian Pre and power amplifier from Doxa. I have Pioneer pd-s06 CD-player. Between the pre and power amplifier I have two mono Techincs equalizers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

2pair

Bee-yoo-tifull!

Steve Gonzales

yes indeed!

VERY nice ! I can also foresee the next generation of JBL forumites in those pictures too!

Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Cute kid on top of the speaker too!

Nice speakers, well done!

scottyj

Very Nice

Good job and a fine looking system.

Ken

Nice, Thanks for sharing!

Widget

transducergeek

Norwegian wood?

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil
    Thought I'd like to share my JBL DIY with you all.

It consists of 2215 woofers, 2202 lower mid-range, LE85 upper mid-range, 077 UHF.

I constructed and built the crossover with attenuators for the 3 upper elements. Crossover frequencies 230Hz, 1200Hz and 7000Hz. 12db.

The 2202 have a small closed box. The 2215 have the rest of the box, which is quite large. 55 x 55cm footprint. 125cm high. The baffle is tilted 5cm back. The bass reflex is tuned as low as i could. I don't have proper measuring equipment to say the frequency response within +-3db. With frequency generator you can hear them playing down to 18Hz before the big silence.

To drive this I use Norwegian Pre and power amplifier from Doxa. I have Pioneer pd-s06 CD-player. Between the pre and power amplifier I have two mono Techincs equalizers.
    Wow! Nice units! And cute kids... Did you use "NORWEGIAN WOOD" for the cabinets? Is'nt it good, norwegian wood....

Poor humor from a fellow Scandihoovian... I call myself a NorSwedgian... 3/4 norge.. 1/4 swede.... 100% "squarehead"! .. although a native born/raised Los Angeles, Californian... HOME OF JBL! Now your reference to Yggdrasil ? That is a word I heard in the 60's from Jefferson Airplane's bass player Jack Cassady who called his bass guitar the "YGGDRASIL BASS" Is that a wood? I think it is... MMM...

Rolf Erickson...

Alex Lancaster
    GGGreat!, when You have a chance, get rid of the LE15´s, and try some 2235H's.

Very nice indeed ! Do you have a wood working shop, do all this yourself, did you veneer to the edges or cut on a 45, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Wardsweb
    Very nice indeed ! Do you have a wood working shop, do all this yourself, did you veneer to the edges or cut on a 45, etc...
    I veneered to the end. Done after final assembly. Used books to apply pressure. Did the paint job before veneering.

I have a small wood working shop in our basement. Done all myself. I did not have the wood working shop when this project was realized, but it is in use on my latest project.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Greetings from a fellow Norwegian

(or make that 1/2 Norwegian, 1/2 Icelandic )

Great work (flott arbeid)!

Nice to see more JBL enthusiasts around Norway, I'm based in Bergen.

On the Yggdrasil note, this was a big ash tree in Nordic mythology, growing its root into hell with branches stretching into heaven. Many animals lived in this tree, and the tree connected all the nine worlds of the old Nordic mythology.

Best wishes,

Sigurd
    Sigurd O. Stefansson,
    Bergen, Norway

jtgyn

Very Nice

G'Day Johnny,
    Very nice job indeed.
    May I ask what sort of glue you used for the veneer and do you have details on the crossover?

Thanks & Regards Scott

Niklas Nord
    Yggdrasil,
    do you like the 2202, I have several of them.
    they are a great midrange indeed !!

2202 are great

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Nord
    Yggdrasil,
    do you like the 2202, I have several of them.
    they are a great midrange indeed !!
    I think the 2202's are great. What they do in the lower mid-rang / upper bass-range is unbelievable.

Very well detailed, playing beautifully and lots of reserves when needed.

I'm working on a project with an altec 411b 15" woofer, a 806 on a 811b horn. Have done the first testing and have come to several conclusions, one of them beeing that there is a large kind of void in the area 300-700Hz. This void is not there when running tests on a microphone, but it is quite present when playing music.

Other conclusions are that I will have to build a new crossover, the 20-30 years old altec gives the HF driver a hard sound. And I will have to put in an ultra high frequency driver (2402/2405).
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Quote Originally Posted by jtgyn
    G'Day Johnny,
    Very nice job indeed.
    May I ask what sort of glue you used for the veneer and do you have details on the crossover?

Thanks & Regards Scott
    This is a tough one because I am not sure of the english words for this glue. I'll try with many words....

On this project I used traditional wood-glue. This glue is quite wet, so one of the large side panels on each speaker have bumps. Both front and top is ok.

I read an article about veneering some time ago where the writer recommended contact glue (i.e. the same type of glue used when changing the foam on a woofer, that yellow stuff).

He also said that one should use an iron on low heat to iron out small air bulbs.

Working on a new project and hope to come to veneering by the end of january.

The crossovers are second order, 12 db/octave, with attenuators for the three upper drivers. I built the crossovers on the same dimension materials as the main boxes.

I cut out a rectangular hole at the back, and made an equally large hole in another board and mounted this inside the cabinet. Then I made a smaller hole in a third board and mounted this inside this again. On the first board I built the crossover. The crossover is just put in place and screwed. It is a perfect fit and service friendly. This way the attenuators does not stick out. The lower hole takes the crossover, the upper is a service hole for the HF and UHF drivers.

The digital version of the calculations and drawings have been lost, but I still have the printouts, so if you like I can scan them in a few days.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Thread Information