Thread: Finally installed Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram generator

Finally installed Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram generator

As some here may recall, an old friend and audio confidant died last year
    and I only found out through a CL ad. ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post385853

so I've cleaned out most of what I picked up of his estate. The ESS's and dual platter Sansui were sure keepers but I've held out the Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram generator, having read both very positive and mildly negative reviews of it.

I had some man cave system maint. to do today, so finally installed it. Easily reversible if not a good fit as it just inserts between the preamp and amp.

result ?? sure is a fuller, wider image. Bass increased (have read that others noticed that too) . HF and detail APPEARS improved. There are detailed instructions on speaker distances/angles, but I just inserted it with speakers in situ. Briefly tried the 2 adjustments, but sounded better not engaged.

Others have reported that it WOW'ed them at first but they found it "phasey" and later removed it. We'll see if that happens here, but FOR NOW it's fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I remember when in the 80s you could buy the Aphex Aural Exiter, it had to be in every side rack. Many other companies followed with different technique like BSS and BBE. The one I found acceptable was the BBE Sonic Maximiser which is still in production. I agree that there is a WOW at first time but it sucks after a while....

Hjalmar

Quote Originally Posted by Chevelle View Post
    I remember when in the 80s you could buy the Aphex Aural Exiter, it had to be in every side rack. Many other companies followed with different technique like BSS and BBE. The one I found acceptable was the BBE Sonic Maximiser which is still in production. I agree that there is a WOW at first time but it sucks after a while....

Hjalmar
    I also have a Hughes SRS unit that performs well. No WOW factor, but it is a keeper. They don't have good effect on everything, but it's easy to bypass and doesn't seem to degrade signal any.

My Arcam CD deck needs attention and I temporarily replaced it with a 24/192 DVD player. Currently playing the "Spectre" soundtrack thru the Carver on the big a/d/s's and it sounds fab.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information