Thread: D130F as Hifi Setup - Adding Complimentary Speakers?

D130F as Hifi Setup - Adding Complimentary Speakers?

Hey Folks, John here - first time poster.

I have a pair of original d130f's in AcoustiCraft speakers, circa 1960, which I understand worked fine at the time as home HiFi setup. I understand the d130f's were designed for guitar amplification in the lower end range, and to my uniformed ear, seems to sound best suited to from 50Hz - 500Hz, gets muddy from 500Hz-to 1500Hz, then cleans up 2k-6k (albeit a rather lowish tone, like cymbal crashes). I get these numbers by tinkering around with a phone-based equalizer, as currently I'm running digital signals to and analog adapter, then connect the adapter to the receiver via RCA's. Of note, it especially seems it does not capture mid to high drum toms well, and lacks clean highs from cymbals, etc.

Is it appropriate to add a mid-to high speaker to this setup to round out the sound (for example, the sounds produced by RUSH, my favorite band), or is it best to just leave it be and be cool with the warmer overall tones in this simple setup? If i were to add additional speakers, I do have another 4" opening in the cabinets, but really don't want to mess with drilling holes in the cabinets for wiring for things like additional speaker wires, crossovers, etc. My idea was to have separate smaller cabinets for mid to highs to sit on top of the cabinets.

If such a separated setup is feasible/advantageous, I am somewhat clueless as to crossover options and setup, but can study up on it.

Many thanks for your input!

No responses, feel free to disregard/delete please

Fairly common a half-century ago to add an 075 ring radiator to the common D130. With that addition the load would be known as the 030. Not uncommon but perhaps not recommended to add a mid-range horn such as the LE175DLH crossed around 1200Hz. Normally that would use the 130A and not the D130 and the former would be known as the 001. Don't know why anyone would have used the D130F for hi-fi use. As I remember Harvey Gerst explaining it, the wider voice-coil gap in the F was just to keep the ham-fisted installers at Fender from binding the coil. This adaption of the D130 to the F, I believe, offered less sensitivity than the normal D130.

I'm not suggesting that the D130 isn't a good basis for building a better system (as long as you don't require substantial deep bass). JBL sold it that way with the 075 as an add-on. I guess I just don't know what the D130F brings to the table. There's lots of info here on how to build a simple version of the 030's N2400 crossover for adding an 075. Looks like a simple circuit. This might help: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...or-Leave-Alone

Here's another thread you might find interesting: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...I-do-with-them
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

You should have exellent sound all the way up. It will start beaming at about 800 Hz or so, http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Beaming.htm. The muddiness could be the box?

Unfortunately there are plenty of D130F but very few D130.

JBL 2309/2310 with a large format driver on top of your box would improve it greatly. The crossover I don´t know.

Thread Information