Thread: Le14a vc height

Le14a vc height

hello, can someone confirm if the original le14a vc is underhung or overhung... i will use a vc larger then the .630 c8rle14a recone, the .750" from. i remember reading the VC originally was overhung. at what height would the larger VC be set. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bldozier View Post
    hello, can someone confirm if the original le14a vc is underhung or overhung... i will use a vc larger then the .630 c8rle14a recone, the .750" from. i remember reading the VC originally was overhung. at what height would the larger VC be set. thanks.
    Hi

VC length is only one part of the story.
    -I think that the number of turns per inch would be more important if You would like that BL factor remained the same as the original.
    -Adding more wire would introduce larger VC weight , so total Mms would be changed (if the same wire metal is used).
    -Adding more number of turns would enlarge VC inductance ( inductance is proportional to the N*N , where N is total number of wire wounds turns), can change VC resistance , as more turns means longer wire....

So to to apply Your idea, much more technical information have to be elaborated.
    The main question would be "why to use longer VC ?". If You plan to allow larger Xmax, VC length is only one limitation, not to mention the spider or cone suspension, space for VC travel.....

regards
    ivica

appreciate the remarks ivica, but the 0.630" original vc was no longer in production, an to replace to burnt coil in the speaker one would need to either step down to a 0.600" or the larger H-1 voice coil at 0.750"

i opted to use the larger as i read its an improvement in the Le14a and Le14H, them both being identical. I'm aware this may make the driver overhung, but i did not know how far down to set the coil if doing the rehab myself...

brian

Thread Information