Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2234 Project

Quote Originally Posted by Sootshe View Post
    Have shortened the tweeter mounting bracket & it now sounds more cohesive & more of a point source to the sound.

I wasn't sure how high to make it before, so a bit of trial & error was involved, but I think I have it sorted now.
    Hi Sootshe,

Introducing too large vertical distances between VHF and UHF driver, You would introduce very large comb filter effects round UHF/UHF crossover region in the vertical plane.
    I think it wold be better if You can introduce active (3-Way) DSP supported crossover in the system so time compensation can be applied, and mounting UHF driver almost in the front plate as near as possible to the VHF horn upper part of the horn mouth, or under the horn, mounted in the bass front baffle.

regards
    ivica

l love the room and the finish of these enclosures.

Very inspiring.

Really nice work on an impressive project. Thank you for the glimpse of your creative work.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Can you tell us a bit about the rest of your system?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Sootshe,

Introducing too large vertical distances between VHF and UHF driver, You would introduce very large comb filter effects round UHF/UHF crossover region in the vertical plane.
    I think it wold be better if You can introduce active (3-Way) DSP supported crossover in the system so time compensation can be applied, and mounting UHF driver almost in the front plate as near as possible to the VHF horn upper part of the horn mouth, or under the horn, mounted in the bass front baffle.

regards
    ivica
    Thanks for the advice Ivica.

I know what you mean, but I've been down that path before & at this stage in my life I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible.
    I've gone back to an integrated amp & no sub.....just a simple system that I can enjoy without too many complications.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Can you tell us a bit about the rest of your system?
    Glad to Ian.

I've gone back to a more simplified set up & my rack consists of the following.

Conrad Johnson CA200 integrated amplifier (185W/ channel - solid state)
    Stello U3 USB converter
    NAIM DAC

Source is a MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive, running Amarra. The computer is dedicated to music only.
    I run an external solid state drive with all the files on that & it is connected via Firewire to seperate it from the USB drive to the DAC.

I use WAV files, as after much extended experimentation, I believe they sound the best, although the Metadata issues are a real pain.
    Having said that, the software makers are gradually integrating WAV into their systems to make them more user friendly & there are ways around some of the metadata shortcomings.

For cables I use -

Curious USB cable from the Mac to the converter
    AudioQuest Carbon from the converter to the DAC
    Van den Hul Orchid from the DAC to the amp

Audioquest carbon firewire from the Mac to the external hard drive.

Speaker cable is Kimber 12TC
    & I wired the speakers internally with Auric Hookup wire.

Power to all equipment is through a THOR regulated power supply & that is powered from it's own dedicated 30amp power point.

I use VibraPod vibration absorbers under each piece of equipment, however the equipment rack is some gear I bought 30 years ago & probably not up to todays standards.

My system is in an open plan living, dining, kitchen room & is 11.1m long x 4.4m wide, but has another open area 4m x 2.7m at the speaker end of the room. Ceiling height is 2.7m & floor is concrete. The seating position is 4.7m from the speaker wall.

At some stage I'd like to convert the existing garage into a dedicated listening room, but that's a bit further down the track. That room would be 7m x 4m with the same 2.7m ceiling.

I can't say how much I'm enjoying these new speakers. I used to be a drummer & these speakers come the closest I've heard to the real live sound of drums & in fact, most instruments & voices.

JBL's have a great reputation & now I know why.......just can't figure out why it took me 40 years to get them!

That’s a very nice system

Don’t change anything!

When l get back from school holidays l talk to you about setting up my Mac Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    That’s a very nice system

Don’t change anything!

When l get back from school holidays l talk to you about setting up my Mac Pro.
    No problem....glad to help.

Grilles

Not sure whether I like these or not.

Maybe I should go for the more traditional look & make them full width x 50mm deep....maybe have them go down to just below the woofer?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First, I must compliment you on a great project!

It is not my business, so if you like them, great. My (useless?) sense of scale says they might be a touch wider and definitely, longer.

Quote Originally Posted by turnitdown View Post
    First, I must compliment you on a great project!

It is not my business, so if you like them, great. My (useless?) sense of scale says they might be a touch wider and definitely, longer.
    Yes, I think I agree. I'll do up a set full width, similar to those on the model 19's in my avatar, but only going down to just below the woofer, so you can still see some timber on the front baffle. I think I'll also make some for the mid horn.

Ah... I see my avatar picture was taken with the grilles off from the 19's....

Grilles completed

Here's the finished product. This is attempt number 4, so I think I have things the way I want them now.
    Decided to make them look a bit meatier , so have thickened the edge of the frames & changed the grille cloth to "anthracite".

It was a tense moment drilling into the cabs to install the frame dowels for holding the grilles on, but all went well.

I'm liking the look of these, so all done for now.

Sounding better than ever as I get more hours on both the drivers & more probably, the crossovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

It looks fantastic.

Well I can't remember why I was searching Google ( oh yes, Werner Jagusch crossovers ) and this thread popped up >>> so

I need to say again ( and give a tip-of-the-hat for) what a great project this was//is.

I imagine there have been countless hours of enjoyment had listening to this system.

Agreed, for some reason I didn’t reply the first time, so thanks for bringing it back up

Thread Information