Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2234 Project

2234 Project

To all those who helped with the bass driver recommendation for my project.....many thanks.
    So now things are under way & I've sourced a few components.

1. A pair of 2225's, one from Australia that has arrived & another from the States, which is on the way.
    2. A pair of 2235 recone kits.
    3. A pair of A55 mid drivers.
    4. A pair of 2404 tweeters

On the way is also a pair of Elliptrac 400 mid horns & some of Werner Jagusch's crossovers. Will post photos of those when they arrive.

In the meantime, here's some snaps of my stockpile so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

and some of the mid driver.

Cool indeed!

Keep sharing. (:

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Pulled the bass drivers apart ready for reconing. I think there must have been 30 years of glue on these frames, but in the end they came up pretty good. A lot of elbow grease, a chisel, some sandpaper & a lot of acetone & I think they're pretty much back to new.

On one of the drivers there is mesh on the external & internal sides of the voice coil & the other one has nothing at all. I presume I will need to put a mesh grill on the external side of the driver that has nothing, but should I also put some on the inside as well? or should I remove the inside mesh & just have mesh on the external side?

I’d get a pro-reconer opinion, but why not both while they’re opened up. You don’t want crap getting in there.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I’d get a pro-reconer opinion, but why not both while they’re opened up. You don’t want crap getting in there.
    Yes, I'll ask the reconer guys.........crap never sounds good in your music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sootshe View Post
    Yes, I'll ask the reconer guys.........crap never sounds good in your music.
    HI Sootshe,

Nice work. now getting 2234/5 recones would be even 'heavier task' (in any ways).

regards
    ivica

Mid range horns have arrived.

These are built up in segments by gluing & screwing from the rear & need to be sanded smooth. Dave Harris has made a beautiful transition section from the 2" throat down to the 1" driver.

These horns are physically longer than I thought they would be, so have had to have a rethink on the cabinet design. Originally I was putting the mid horn in the bass cabinet, but will now have to make a seperate cabinet for the mid horn & sit this on top of the bass cabinet.

Cool!

Looks like they were made by Michelin.

Crossovers are here

The crossovers have arrived from Germany.
    They are a thing of beauty & can't wait to hear them.

Will be taking a short break from things as the doctors do a few running repairs, but hope to be continuing within a couple of weeks. Name:  Werner Jagusch Crossovers.JPG
Views: 2456
Size:  45.1 KB

Back from hospital after a couple of weeks & the new hip is performing well. Well enough for me to stand at the workbench & start the recone of the woofers.

Before I start applying glue, I would just like to know your opinions on whether I should make these drivers 2234's or 2235's, as I have the option to use the mass control rings.

I believe I will have enough attenuation on the crossovers to pad down the mids if I use 2235's. The mids are 106db & 12ohms & I've been working on 96db for the 2234's & 93db for the 2235's.

I know the 35's will dig deeper, but maybe the 34's will have more of a crack??? Not sure. Any first hand listening experiences welcome. Would like to stick with the standard 5ft3 cab & recommended ports as per 4430's.

Oh, I don't want to use a sub & believe I will be happy with the low end of the 34's, purely based on my experience with a pair of Altec model 19's, just want to make sure I'm making the right decision & don't really want to pull the dust caps off, if I should have gone with 35's.

Regards,
    John

Glad you're feeling better

You will get better answers from others, but here are my thoughts. The crack you speak of will probably occur in the mid range depending on where you cross over to the mid. If that is indeed the case, go the 2235 route and get all the bass benefit.

The fundamentals of the "crack" are conveyed by the woofer and the 2234 would in all likelihood do the better job here.

See? There you go. We both learned something. Thanks

I have my 2251Js coming in at ~110 Hz and drums are absolutely spectacular!

Thread Information