Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Project: Recommendation for bass driver.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    IMHO, a 2225 does not sound like a 2234 or 2235, but the latter two are more similar than one might expect when put in the same size/tuned box
    (having tried the 2234/5 comparison in a 4430 system... ~1kHz crossover range). There are proper uses for a 2225 where it will do quite nicely
    and tearing up good drivers seems a (minor) shame, but at least if they work you know the magnets aren't shifted or have gunk in the gap.
    Yes, If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. This will be a long term keeper & this way I know that everything is correct.
    Have ordered the recone kits & have a contact of Brisbane Sound to do the reconing. Will keep all up to date on progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sootshe View Post
    Yes, If I'm going to do this, I want to do it right. This will be a long term keeper & this way I know that everything is correct.
    Have ordered the recone kits & have a contact of Brisbane Sound to do the reconing. Will keep all up to date on progress.
    Hello Sootche
    I'm planing to buy a recone kit for 2235 .Where do you intend to buy a good recone kit close to the original C8R 2235 .There 's a lot of shop in Usa and I don't know where to order .
    Best regards
    Alain

As you are located in europe, contact the member "guido" he is a dealer for JBL parts in germany and has some customers in france...

2241H!

More volume, better articulation and detail than a 2235/2245, and can take what you throw at it.

Doesn't require a huge cabinet like a 2245.

Doesn't go as low as a "foam job," but a bit of eq can take care of that. Depending on the cabinet tuning, does have a very nice "bass bump."

Not highly sought after and can be had very reasonably (=<$$$). And, never needs a refoam!

Run WinISD and compare this to all other JBL woofers and you will be suprised of its capabilities. Blows away everything else, except the foam jobs, for deep bass.

For clarity the 2234 was used in pairs per the 4435 with box frequency of 26 hertz

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

The sensitivity of a single woofer is 96 db

The second woofer has a low pass filter above 100-150 hertz at 6 dB per octave

The tuning in the 4435 is an over damped alignment where both drivers “add”and level the response to 30 hertz

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    2241H!

More volume, better articulation and detail than a 2235/2245, and can take what you throw at it.

Doesn't require a huge cabinet like a 2245.

Doesn't go as low as a "foam job," but a bit of eq can take care of that. Depending on the cabinet tuning, does have a very nice "bass bump."

Not highly sought after and can be had very reasonably (=<$$$). And, never needs a refoam!

Run WinISD and compare this to all other JBL woofers and you will be suprised of its capabilities. Blows away everything else, except the foam jobs, for deep bass.
    Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to go 18" for the bottom end - need to get all the way up to 500Hz for the first crossover point.

Quote Originally Posted by jlac4 View Post
    Hello Sootche
    I'm planing to buy a recone kit for 2235 .Where do you intend to buy a good recone kit close to the original C8R 2235 .There 's a lot of shop in Usa and I don't know where to order .
    Best regards
    Alain
    I'm located in Australia, so can't really help you with kits from USA. Take Dr db's advice re German distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    For clarity the 2234 was used in pairs per the 4435 with box frequency of 26 hertz

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

The sensitivity of a single woofer is 96 db

The second woofer has a low pass filter above 100-150 hertz at 6 dB per octave

The tuning in the 4435 is an over damped alignment where both drivers “add”and level the response to 30 hertz
    Thanks Ian,
    So just a simple low pass filter on one of the woofers.....sounds good. Now you've piqued my interest in the 2 woofer set up, although the cost will hold me back just at the moment. It's costing a small fortune to get the drivers, plus then the recone kits & then have someone recone them.......let's see how I like the sound of the single woofer set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sootshe View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but I don't want to go 18" for the bottom end - need to get all the way up to 500Hz for the first crossover point.

2241H goes higher than a 2235H and easily gets to 500 Hz. (Actually rated from 30-3kHz whereas 2235 is rated to 20-2kHz.) Vocals are more intelligible and articulated than a 2235. Also reverb and decay are improved as is the stereo image. I don't know how much dispersion (if any) you would loose over a 2235 crossed over at 500 Hz though, if that is an issue. I always sit in the sweet spot.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    2241H goes higher than a 2235H and easily gets to 500 Hz. (Actually rated from 30-3kHz whereas 2235 is rated to 20-2kHz.) Vocals are more intelligible and articulated than a 2235. Also reverb and decay are improved as is the stereo image. I don't know how much dispersion (if any) you would loose over a 2235 crossed over at 500 Hz though, if that is an issue. I always sit in the sweet spot.
    Good to know, thanks.

Thread Information