Thread: Crown I-TECH 5000 HD Hecho in Mexico

Crown I-TECH 5000 HD Hecho in Mexico

Hi All;

After nearly a five month delay I finally received my I-TECH order, hoping to get in on the last of the made in the good old USA run I was late.

Finally here with a born on date of 10/25/2017 from Mexico, the packing is identical and it looks and sounds just like the others. This is a big relief to me.

It's been here for nearly a week and I finally got one out and I am test driving one on the 4435's in the office and it sounds great.

Does anyone else have any of the down South Crown products yet? If so does it seem A-OK?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

For what it is worth, the auto industry is seeing good quality from these shops. But, what I am interested in is how you set up your 4435s in the office with the I Tech 5000 HD? Pre-amp, mixer board? Any necessary "tricks?" AIl I hear is M2 but it looks like a great amp for almost anything - balanced, unbalanced. The "Class I" is a whole new approach. Class A re-invented. It's a heluva lot of amp for home use . . . but why not? Light, compact, flexible. Not necessarily cheap but a few "bargains" are around. Could be worth it. What am I missing - Comments? Mike

HI Mike;

I use my desktop PC for my music source. It has a Claro Halo soundcard that will swing just under 4V (when driven by the onboard CD player with a 0DBFS test disc) and is single end output. This signal is sent via RCA to a Nakamichi CA5 straight wire pre that will swing just over, get ready for this,,,21V output.

The CA5 is also single ended output. I made a pair of RCA to XLR cables with pins one and three tied at the RCA shell to connect to the Crown amp. The CA5 has enough drive to clip the input stage on the previous Crown amp at ≈17V. This rig has no hum or noise ever.

The CA5 has in one of it's tape monitor loops, an Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator set at is lowest sensitivity, -200%. This fills in the bottom at low levels very nicely. There are only two devices like this that I like at all, the other is dbx's "Auto Warmth" found in some of their higher end processors like the dbx 4800 that I have gushed over in the past. Not the dbx "subsonic synthesizer"!

I set up the drive-gain stage chain with a scope using a 0DBSF CD. I backed off the sound card drive until the CA5 output 16V max wide open and left it at that.

I have not measured the input stage of the 5000 yet so the system driving it is the same. The 5000HD's input is currently attenuated -20dB.

This amp sounds as good as any Crown amp I have. I like systems that jump and a mean amp is a big part of that.

I have these amps driving my Danley rig as well.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    For what it is worth, the auto industry is seeing good quality from these shops. But, what I am interested in is how you set up your 4435s in the office with the I Tech 5000 HD? Pre-amp, mixer board? Any necessary "tricks?" AIl I hear is M2 but it looks like a great amp for almost anything - balanced, unbalanced. The "Class I" is a whole new approach. Class A re-invented. It's a heluva lot of amp for home use . . . but why not? Light, compact, flexible. Not necessarily cheap but a few "bargains" are around. Could be worth it. What am I missing - Comments? Mike

HI Mike;

I use my desktop PC for my music source. It has a Claro Halo soundcard that will swing just under 4V (when driven by the onboard CD player with a 0DBFS test disc) and is single end output. This signal is sent via RCA to a Nakamichi CA5 straight wire pre that will swing just over, get ready for this,,,21V output.

The CA5 is also single ended output. I made a pair of RCA to XLR cables with pins one and three tied at the RCA shell to connect to the Crown amp. The CA5 has enough drive to clip the input stage on the previous Crown amp at ≈17V. This rig has no hum or noise ever.

The CA5 has in one of it's tape monitor loops, an Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator set at is lowest sensitivity, -200%. This fills in the bottom at low levels very nicely. There are only two devices like this that I like at all, the other is dbx's "Auto Warmth" found in some of their higher end processors like the dbx 4800 that I have gushed over in the past. Not the dbx "subsonic synthesizer"!

I set up the drive-gain stage chain with a scope using a 0DBSF CD. I backed off the sound card drive until the CA5 output 16V max wide open and left it at that.

I have not measured the input stage of the 5000 yet so the system driving it is the same. The 5000HD's input is currently attenuated -20dB.

This amp sounds as good as any Crown amp I have. I like systems that jump and a mean amp is a big part of that.

I have these amps driving my Danley rig as well.

Barry.
    Hey - thanks! I saw the RCA - XLR in the owners manual (1-3) and said: wadda ya know, it can digest analog input . . . most anything! Figured it was a digital only monster (M2). Good for Crown (and the rest of us). "I like systems that jump and a mean amp is a big part of that." Bingo. Basic reason a lot of us set up 030 systems 800 years ago. I seem to be down to ATI 4002, Parasound AC21 and now this Crown. Probably all first rate goods. But, the Crown is unique. Good info, t'anks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Hey - thanks! I saw the RCA - XLR in the owners manual (1-3) and said: wadda ya know, it can digest analog input . . . most anything! Figured it was a digital only monster (M2). Good for Crown (and the rest of us). "I like systems that jump and a mean amp is a big part of that." Bingo. Basic reason a lot of us set up 030 systems 800 years ago. I seem to be down to ATI 4002, Parasound AC21 and now this Crown. Probably all first rate goods. But, the Crown is unique. Good info, t'anks.
    Did you end up comparing the Crown to ATI and Parasound?

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    For what it is worth, the auto industry is seeing good quality from these shops.
    I just found out today that, beginning in March or April, some or our new 3-series BMW sedans will come to the USA from the new BMW plant in San Luis Potosi, BMW's newest and "most resource-efficient production location worldwide."

We'll see how that works!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information