I know, I know...

can't compare pears to apples but, long story short, I bought my 4311b when I was a teen (and am not anymore since long time), never had the space to position them the way they should but finally I tried to sit them on a chair about 20in off the floor and upside down as to have mid-highs hear level, well, first of all bass sounded like disappearing (normal if comparing at when they were 4in off the floor) then I switched from a transistor amp (an old Adcom GFA535) to a tube (chinese made Aeron AP890 with push-pull KT88) and first time since I own them I had to turn mids and highs pads way low (and it proofs they still work after over 30 years!!!).

What I don't like, and didn't expect to be that different, is that the 4311b don't really give a wide and deep scene (they are over 3' off of side walls and a couple off of back one), I heard a friend's setup which is almost 5-6x more expensive than mine and I could see the singer, the instruments and the scene was way deep, I don't expect that but at least a bit of it (I can sure see the singer's voice and the instruments but the scene is way compressed in both width - about 5' between speakers - and depth).

Most of the music I listen to is electronic like rock from the 80' and 90' (Depeche Mode, Simple Minds, U2, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield - uhm, this I don't think falls into rock but anyways...) but I don't dislike at all some jazz and, yes, Frank Sinatra (which I love to mimic when listening to...) and there it feels like listening to the iPod, no width, no depth...

I have the chance to get a pair of L220 and before I go on site to test them (suspensions to be redone and a bad paint job applied from the owner) I'd like to know if they could improve the scene given the same electronics (AR SP9 preamp and Aeron AP890 amp, source either Sony CD-P X505ES or FLAC music through a still to come dedicated DAC) and given the same available space. They would allow me to skip making stands for the 4311b and, at the end, ripping just a little more space (width and depth) but should still stand same height as the 4311b should to properly sound, would the expense payback in listening quality?

Grazie

Giovanni