I have waded through pages here and tried the search function which has not helped much. I say this to ask questions on a pair of speakers I bought which are the 1234's. The 808-8b diaphragms are toast and the old woofer's were too having been poorly replaced with a set of peavey Black Widows which did not fit right anyway. I intend to restore these and have two ways to do so. Either find OEM or equivalent. The purist in me says stay as close to original as possible and I have found some woofers. The diaphragm however is a different story and I would like to get suggestions on what to get for a replacement. There are chinese ones for sale everywhere for $10 up a pair with some pretty negative reviews. I see Radians for like $90 and they have just as many bad reviews. I see no actual Altec parts and wonder if there is perhaps a JBL that would fit? I have a sweep generator if required to center the diaphragm exactly which seems to be recommended even though it looks like the diaphragm is supposed to be self centering. I have checked a cap on each crossover and it was very close to spec with low ESR so I think the crossover is OK. This has to be the most basic crossover I have ever seen and is it good to keep or should I upgrade something?

Which leads to the second basic question of is there a better horn and woofer to use here? I know using original spec parts makes for more value if I wish to sell them. And I might since as of now I have no idea what they will sound like. Has anyone had experience rebuilding these with OEM equivalents and or new possibly better components?

New user by the way to Altec and to this forum.