Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A larger room, a pair of 4313B and maybe the need to upgrade?

Hi gents,
    we've also been advised that L150A will fill the bill, is this a sleeper?

If you were particularly fond of the 4313, the L150A isn’t nearly as much of a change as some of your other candidates. This was my first real/new JBL set and I still have them. They have a nice unexaggerated low end that is also extended (perhaps not as much “punch” as some like). They do wake up with a larger amp (100-200w).

They also require maintaining four foam surrounds and the foam plug behind the tweeter dome.

I like them more than the L112 and maybe as much as the L96 (I may well be biased in my fondness for the L150A and that series)

Quote Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
    Hi gents,
    we've also been advised that L150A will fill the bill, is this a sleeper?
    Well, they certainly won't eclipse the 4333 or the 1400 Array. Should be considerably cheaper though.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
    Stand-alone house! Lucky him... BTW, he said he is using the room in half: half kitchen and half living room, meaning that his listening couch is at 3m from the 4313Bs wich are at about half a meter from the back wall. No need to stuupid-high levels in the kitchen part, just loud enough on the couch.
    Maybe I'm wrong but I understand that bass response, even at 3m, is linked to the ability of the 10" driver/front port and enclosure to load the huge mass of air there, and a 15" will be at ease on that. True? I also understand that perceived volume at listening position is less because less reflections and more loss in air far away.
    If all my statements are true then 15" is required. If at a close 3m from speakers it is less problematic then maybe a punchy 12", ā la 4312A, can add what is missing. Or a sub...

Anyway we will try to measure and correct room response, start savings...
    It’s more about your brothers expectations ?

Is he going to play loud rock music or background music?

The location of the listening position and the loudspeaker is going to dominate any subject differences overall if he is going to be listening at 3 metres .

The larger woofers will go louder but not always lower.

Bigger amps and bigger loudspeakers are going to sound more dynamic but not necessarily clearer.

A bass reflex design is not room dependent unless it’s rear ported but will nearly always sound more dynamic than a similar size sealed design.

The larger XPL series if you can find one is a possibility

They are more refined than most of the JBL consumer systems

Otherwise if a classic look and sound is preferred the L300 a contender

There are always some nice systems on the Japanese auction sites

Greetings from the far flung marshes of Washington State,

Have you considered adding a "sub woofer" ( I dislike that term! )? Particularly if you like the 4313b? The 4313b is a great speaker and if augmented with two well designed and placed 15 inch very low bass units, it would probably fill

the bill. You could use your present amplifier or better yet, a separate mono amp. You'd retain the performance and sound of the 4313b and free it from vlf duty. I have done this with 4410,s and two Altec 411's for low bass, crossing over

at 40 Hz. My room however is not as large as the one being discussed,and you may require a higher crossover point.

I pose the query: Is there such a thing as too much bass??

Have fun

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post

I pose the query: Is there such a thing as too much bass??

Have fun

Ed
    There can be too much bass from a balance perspective. From a displacement available perspective, if you use heavy high-damping suspensions, then too many drivers/too large a driver can lower the excursion demands to the point that these drivers actually sound WORSE with less power, though with JBL pro style drivers that's not really an issue. Outside of poorly setup (unbalanced bass) or on overscaled bass system designed for high driver displacement but operated at low driver displacement, more capability is definitely impossible (disregarding domestic space/ feng shui issues)

I use a single sub with 4x12" and 2 additional subs with 2x12". It's capable of more than I ever use, but the drivers are not the car-audio looking types that sound bad at low level, so it's pretty amazing stuff.

I was being facetious.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Well the idea of the sub does not seduce him, already asked
    A pair of speakers, hook it, move them a bit and voilā!
    Maybe the 250Ti can be in the list, but rear port is a bit scary (how much from the wall?) and the need of a power plant for they are said to be greedy.

FWIW we settled to JBK S3100 and Infinity Kappa 9.2 now, far cheaper than L300, Array 1400 here.
    And maybecYamaha P5000S as power amp.

Hi guys,
    he's ready to pull the trigger on a pair of mint 4430. If I've ready what's to be read about, the only drawback is the lack HF, annoying for youngsters (which we ain't no more).
    To be amplified with Hypex on the passive XO, but right now the 100W Yamaha.
    Before money's vanishing, are there "flaws" we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Just be aware that if you have large flat walls or glass the 100 x 100 bi radial can make the presentation diffuse.

Hi Ian,
    seller confirms that large "echoing" rooms does not cope very well with 4430. Time for room treatment!

It’s a nice system but was a pro monitor for a treated environment.

I’d try it and even put them in a corner and toe them in to the listening position.

I used the 2344 horn with a 2122H for a while and liked it.

Great on jazz. Brings back recent memories of the jazz clubs in a Paris.

Worth bi amping with a small class A amp.

Done, thanks guys for the help provided

Side question for me, are these 4430's caps polyester/Mylar/MKT bypassed by polypropylene/MKP? If yes... room for future upgarde

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

Already bypassed.

You could do the charge coupled crossover which is an improvement.
    That would entail a new build of the crossover network.

A Tad 2002/2001 compression driver has been substituted for the 2425 compression driver.
    An expensive upgrade but the results are apparently impressive.

Thread Information