Thread: The Growing Spam Problem

The Growing Spam Problem

Hi,

Perhaps a solution ( or two ) to the growing problem of spam is to institute a 7-day waiting period for new members ( before they can post ).

Or put all new members into probationary period with their first 5 posts held in digital escrow ( to be monitored & censored by moderators ) before being posted for general consumption.

Just a thought.

Another approach ( though a mite more drastic and arbitrary ) is to lock the LHF front door for a while ( don't allow any new members to sign up ).

A while could be translated into a indeterminate length of time ( over a few instances ) until deterrence is achieved.

Question time ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Another approach ( though a mite more drastic and arbitrary ) is to lock the LHF front door for a while ( don't allow any new members to sign up ).

A while could be translated into a indeterminate length of time ( over a few instances ) until deterrence is achieved.

5 Lansing related questions to answer before membership approval . If someone is googling for info the forum will come up anyway . The information is there for everyone on the web to access , but you'd need to be genuine to go to the trouble of answering 5 research based questions .

Just an idea .

..... BTW ..... 56 and it still works without medication ...

Richard

Is there a spam problem?

I have been reading this marvelous site for many years and have not noticed any. Please give examples.

I would think the recent one-post with commercial link spammers (all from NY, for some reason, or so they say) could be stopped simply through a 3-day waiting period after joining before being allowed to post. Most spammers would lose interest.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Better moderation of the site would handle the small problem. There are too few moderators, or at least too few active ones.

Since it's now 2017, it's a simple task for a programmer to put the first one, two, or three posts from a new account in a moderator's queue which goes directly to a moderator or moderators for review before being allowed on the site. To be effective, moderators would need to pay attention to the queue or notification of a new poster to act in a timely matter. A queue that is neglected for days or weeks is the death knell for new membership.

There could even be a small group of newly-appointed "new poster moderators" whose only task is to check these new member posts, leaving the regular mods to do moderation of established members.
    Out.

I believe I've seen a ground swell of new members registering with suspiciously closely related names ( over the past couple of days ).

It seems to me they are most likely aliases for spam-bots setting up shop for who knows what.

Has anyone else seen this surge ( + more importantly has it been dealt with ) ???

I was not aware you could sort the membership list by join date?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information