Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Project - Kickin' A-- and Taking Names!

I finshed making the sides, tops, and bottoms and sanded them out.

I need to sand the fronts to mate with the faces and will probably re-route the face curves to go to the edge rather than sand the cabinets back and sanding off the "lip" on the face. Had never used a table router before, and I hope I don't screw up the re-do. The backs will be inset.

Just had a CL buyer depart ....

came for for audio accessories. Was telling me about his 8+ pairs of Klipsh's and some
    expensive set that I've never heard of (or remember the name) and 2 pairs of L100's.
    He was asking about my bookshelves sitting in living room chairs.
    told him they were ESS with the AMT high/mid driver , played a quick demo.

"Those are so clear, and the bass is better than the Century's"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I finished sanding out the cabinets and primed the faces. I'll glue the faces to the cabinets then sand them flush together.

My wife thinks I should use a black stain rather than an oak or pecan. I decided to use flat head hex screws in black oxide. I'll cut a gasket out of cork on the laser.

I roughed out the backs today and will file/sand them for a nice fit.

I also cut cork gaskets for the 2251Js on the laser. There is a real trick to cutting cork in that it curls back on itself, blocks the beam, fouls the arm, etc. I ended up cutting the rings in two passes. In the first pass you erase the outter cut line from the file, cut out the center, and remove it from the machine without moving the cork.

Then you unerase the outter cut line and erase the inner circle to cut the gasket. Even this curls the thin cork a bit so the cut is not exact, but it still makes a nice gasket and will entirely be covered by the woofer frame.

I also tried to cut out a base for the Heils but found that my "acrylic" was actually 3/8" "polycarbonate" and this just made a mess, lots of smoke, and soot in the laser and the beam never even got through the material (60-watt laser run at "3 out of 100"). I'll have to get a piece of acrylic to do these.

I fit the backs today. One was so tight that it chipped coming back out. I filled it with glue and sanded it out.

The backs will get primer/black, so it shouldn't show..., and it is on the back. If it bothers me, I'll make another before I glue them in place.

Question Anonimity

Toddalin announced:
    New Project - Kickin' A-- and Taking Names!

Do you really care WHO they are ?

-D_E-
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Electron View Post
    Toddalin announced:
    New Project - Kickin' A-- and Taking Names!

Do you really care WHO they are ?

-D_E-

You're right! Names..., We don't need no stinkin' names!

It's not as bad as it could be because of the small panel size relative to the driver, but some substantial bevels/roundovers would be valuable on that midrange enclosure. Implementing waveguides for the heils would be a strong option too to help match the midrange directivity more closely. This is possible with a tablesaw, 45 degree cuts on the end, and kerfcuts for bending. How's your woodworking layout?

The edge was run through a 3/4" router on the sides and top. (May be hard to see.) I have routers to 1", but this will probably remain as is now that it's primed.

The faces glue onto the front of the box so the rounded edges stay. The backs are recessed into the boxes.

I'll have to see what happens with directivity.

I picked up some 3/8" acrylic today to make the Heil stands.

where did you get the denim insulation?
    Semper Fidelis

Home Depot, on-line sells it. If you buy two boxes of 6 rolls, it is enough $$$ to qualify for free shipping (saves $9.95).

But word on AudioKarma is that this is not good for use in speakers because it is too dense and ends up taking up too much cabinet volume.

So, yesterday I took my two boxes, unopened, back to the local HD and they refunded my credit card for the two boxes, and I still didn't pay the $9.95 shipping charge.

The original yellow JBL fiberglass is still available (not from HD), but in 100 square foot rolls.

I'll probably end up using the "pink stuff."

The UltraTouch all got taken back to the local Home Depot. There is a lesson to be learned here!

Want free shipping from HD on-line??? Order enough stuff to quality for the free shipping, then take back what you don't really want to the local HD. Sure you're are inconvenienced by one trip, but if it's close, it's cheaper than the shipping costs.

Anyway, I cut the 3/8" acrylic bases and feet for the Heils today. Will be totally unique and not bad for $5 worth of materials with leftovers.

I also cut the preliminary vanes for the enclosure but had no 1/16" acrylic so did them from wood. The front vanes need to have a bit of curve removed so they don't hang over the stands and the mount points need to be a little wider for better support. That's why we do up a prototype. These will be stacked like a fence to protect the Heil and an open top plate will be cut with a grill cloth attached to protect the Heil from dust.

Ya gotta love the CNC lasers and what they can do!

Also painted the faces and backs in satin black today.

These turned out way cool!

Kickin' ass and taking initials because names take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    The UltraTouch all got taken back to the local Home Depot. There is a lesson to be learned here!

Want free shipping from HD on-line??? Order enough stuff to quality for the free shipping, then take back what you don't really want to the local HD. Sure you're are inconvenienced by one trip, but if it's close, it's cheaper than the shipping costs...
    Really? That’s just shitty.

If you’re going to make a trip to HD anyway, just order what you want and have it shipped to the store, that’s free. And go pick it up.

The added value is you don’t have to wrestle with your conscience.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information