Thread: 604E not equal volume

604E not equal volume

I have a pair of 604E that were built the same year but in the cabinet one has significantly lower volume that the next. I do not detect any voice coil rubbing on the lower volume speaker. I am wondering if the low volume speaker needs to be recharged. Is there any way to discern if an alnico needs to be recharged? Currently I am using a pot between the preamp and amp to reduce the gain on the higher volume speaker.

First thing I would do is make sure that the cones ( are original & ) have the same printed number on them ( 21184-2 is original ).

That's the number to look for ( the assumption when you see those numbers is that the voice-coils are also identical and original ):

- If you see 2 different numbers on your cones then you will possibly need to recone one or both at GPA ( to obtain a matched pair ).

One can ( with the woofer section of the crossover unhooked ) measure the DCR ( ie; dc Resistance ) of each voice-coil > looking for a close match of +/- 0.5 ohm .

A weak magnetic system will manifest itself in the Qes value of the woofers Ts parameters > the Qes value of matched woofers should be near identical ( if the woofers both have the same cone numbers & voice-coils ) .

The most straightforward approach to measuring a speaker's Ts parameters is to buy something like a WooferTester gizmo such as DATS 2 from P.E. or WT2 from S&L.

Both speakers have the same cone. One speaker measure DCR woofer 11.5 and 8.8 and the other is 13 and 9 ohms. The louder one is 13 and 9.

Have you tried swapping the crossovers from one cabinet to the other ?

Yes I have tried swapping crossovers.

Below are the Fs of the speaker. The Fs of the 27.1 is the louder the other less volume.
    Name:  Resonance Frequency in Free Air.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  42.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 280SL View Post
    Both speakers have the same cone. One speaker measure DCR woofer 11.5 and 8.8 and the other is 13 and 9 ohms. The louder one is 13 and 9.
    What were the cone numbers that you found on your 604E's ? ( over the decades, there were a few possible replacement cone numbers ).

An upward shift in Fs can be caused by the surround Goop drying up ( though typically raising the Fs a few hz won't change overall output levels ).

A lower than expected DCR can sometimes be caused by a partially shorted voice-coil ( the woofer will continue to work, but at a reduced level ).

Since you are obviously handy with a signal generator, sense-resistor & DVM, I would recommend that you download REW to perform some more extensive parameter testing ( click the pic ).

Additionally, the most up-to-date Beta Versions are available at AVNirvana ( REW Forum ).

REW will ( among other things ) allow you to setup a jig to measure your woofer's AC impedances ( as well as obtain Ts Parameters ).

From the looks of your above pic, your woofers have different voice-coils ( you'll need actual AC impedance traces to either verify or debunk that opinion ) .

The cone numbers are the same. They are in a cabinet so I don't have immediate access to them. One of the speakers was bought new by my father and I know the cone is original. That speaker has the higher volume.

Thread Information