Thread: 2241h in vrx Box Misfit by 5ml

2241h in vrx Box Misfit by 5ml

My New 2241h 18" speakers do not fit in the VRX 18" Sub boxes ! However if I raise the speaker using spacers by 5ml all the holes line up and speaker will sit evenly . The Grill will still fit properly without any interference . Will this be OK to use the sub like this or ??

This was more interesting when I thought you meant 5 milliliters.

It's not ok. It has to be air tight. Don't even think about sealing it with silicone caulk. What exactly is causing the fitment problem?

The correct meaning of 5 ml is 5 milliliters, a measure for liquids.

However, he could have meant 5 mm (milimeters) or even 5 mils (in thousandth of an inch) so it MAY also be 5 thousandth of an inch, but probably 5 mm.

In both cases, you may still "get away with it", considering "... and speaker will sit evenly . The Grill will still fit properly without any interference."

If you can find good quality, large and thick (to fill the gap correctly) weatherstripping tape as I have and seen at Home Depot it may still work ok in a pinch, but your installation must be sturdy and well done.

That means the "gasket" made of weatherstripping tape must be thick enough to be pressed air tight in place on the woofer and on the box. Plus having a good retaining system (e.g. strong screws) so that the driver doesn't move nor rattle, and sits evenly...

To save the project, I would certainly give it a try, not at 500 W to start with, but rather progressively and see with caution using a burning match going around the woofer frame and box juction if the flame moves to detect any air leaks... Since just listening/hearing air leaks is difficult with woofer reproducing bass sounds.

Richard

Might want to ensure the vents (back of the 2241 speaker) are not up against a cabinet interior wall...

Hi Martin,

Weatherstripping tape width you can always adjust by cutting the excess but on thickness its difficult to make it thinner or thicker. I understand your gap to fill is 5 mm, but 5 mm thick of such tape would not be enough for it to be compressed in place, when driver screwed, to avoid air leaks.

Therefore, the tape must be AT LEAST 6 + mm thick (a good 1/4 inch) or even better with 7or 8 mm thick for some good compression to make things air tight between driver and cabinet when screwed in place.

You'll have to "play this by ear" (or trial and error/success) in terms of maximum thickness because at high sound levels you don't want the cone to strike the grill...

That means you need to figure out the available space behind the grill when the spacers, gasket and driver are in place, then account for driver cone excursion (Xmax at least, and maybe X lim, excursion before damage) to avoid cone touching the grill when you decide to beat the hell out of it (very high level bass reproduction).

It MAY be more difficult for you in Australia (and for Just4Kinks in California) to find as thick weatherstripping tape as I mentioned since these are usually warmer climate Country/State than Canada where I am and where winters do get pretty cold (except west coast). Most types of insulation products are available and a must here.

In a pinch, you may want to order some from Canada's Home Depot.ca or lowes.ca for example. With the Australian dollar being valued a bit higher than the Canadian dollar, you won't get hammered by currency exchange rates, as we do with the US$ (about + 30%) or with the Euro (about + 53%) at retail value! But check shipping costs since you are located at the other end of the world... Regards,

Richard

OK , appreciate all replies . If I can source thick strong rubber stripping under the edge of the speaker frame ,( similar to rubber inside of frame ) and glue the ends to thus creating a perfect seal , does that sound a good solution ? Easier to source rubber than the tape described ....

It sounds OK as long as the rubber has proper dimensions and provides some compression (not hard rubber) then it may be good enough. As I mentioned before, installation must be sturdy and well done.

Richard

Done and Wow !

Finally sorted and completed this project .
    2 x Used VRX900 18" Sub Boxes repainted with Duralex
    2 x New 2241h Drivers
    $1200.au all up
    = Beautiful Bass !

Enjoy that new sub!

I love the bass I get out of my 4642a cabinets. (dual 2241h per cabinet)

Thread Information