Thread: Strange vibration on the 4430 boomer

Strange vibration on the 4430 boomer

Hi

Since yesterday I have a strange vibration sounds on my 4430 right boomer. I made a test and this vibration sounds is between 432 & 542 hz...

I used the 4430 heavily those last day with techno at high volume without audible saturation.

I've send the 2 boomers for restoration 4 month ago... They look brand new and sounds really good!

Can I repair this kind of problem myself? What can I do?

Thank you!

Here is a record of the vibration w/ the 2235h: https://soundcloud.com/macthezazou/2235hvibration

I'd look for something in the cabinet, like a wire rubbing against the speaker or cabinet. Take the drivers out of the cabinet and test on a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by MacTheZazou View Post
    Hi

Since yesterday I have a strange vibration sounds on my 4430 right boomer. I made a test and this vibration sounds is between 432 & 542 hz...

I used the 4430 heavily those last day with techno at high volume without audible saturation.

I've send the 2 boomers for restoration 4 month ago... They look brand new and sounds really good!

Can I repair this kind of problem myself? What can I do?

Thank you!
    That kind of buzz can be any number of things. Might be a loose mass ring. Might be a failed glue joint at the cone/voice coil/spider junction. Might be a failed, improperly prepped surface for the refoam surround attachment to the cone. Might be a defective recone kit from Mexico. Not enough info on what the "restoration" consisted of.

They sound really good except for that nasty buzz. I hope your 'restorer' stands behind his work...although high volume techno music might, in fact, negate any warranty-able repairs. Did you notice any loud smacking sounds of boomer over- excursion prior to this buzzing? If so, you've knocked the mass ring loose by smacking it into the pole piece.

To fix this requires removal of the dust dome and rebonding the mass ring to the voice coil former...and replacing the dust dome.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thank you very much for your answer, I will send back the boomer to the restorer.

Sadly today, after a medium-high volume techno session, the second boomer started making the same vibration... I used those 2 boomers for a long time without any trouble. But recently I changed my amp for an Onkyo M-5099 with the M-3099 preamp (not restored). Can the amp & the pre-amp be at the origin of those damages? Because I'm not listening to my music louder than before...

Thank you again for your valuables informations!

Thread Information