Thread: LE8T use in a two way

LE8T use in a two way

If you were going to use an LE8T in a build as a two way adding a tweeter into the mix, where would you cross it? Also, any ideas on a tweeter that you believe would be a good fit. This is a loose idea at the moment so I am not definite on specifics. Just exploring the possibility.

Like all things.. it depends. If you want wide and even dispersion, I would not cross it much above 2~khz (and preferably a bit lower ..1600-1800.. Not sure if any JBL tweeter can go this low though - 2402 will work from 2,5khz up if I'm correct)
    If however, you like the inherent sound of the LE8T used as a full range, you could cross it over to a 2405 at 6,5khz or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by TimVG View Post
    Like all things.. it depends. If you want wide and even dispersion, I would not cross it much above 2~khz (and preferably a bit lower ..1600-1800.. Not sure if any JBL tweeter can go this low though - 2402 will work from 2,5khz up if I'm correct)
    If however, you like the inherent sound of the LE8T used as a full range, you could cross it over to a 2405 at 6,5khz or higher.
    Thanks. I will be thinking on the project some more. Thanks for giving me a start.

Have you seen this: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...p?10662-LE8T-H

This info is for the H version, but I'd assume it is mostly relevant for the older alnico version too. Looking at the frequency response curve, I'd want to either crossover well below 1,000Hz to avoid the peak at 1,500Hz so you'd need a tweeter that can crossover at 800Hz or lower with a fairly steep slope. An alternative if you are sophisticated is to build a network with a notch filter to pull down the 1,500Hz peak and then you could probably crossover as high as 5,000Hz.

Widget

I have to admit all of you are right, yet my understanding of the LE8T is a different one.

It was designed as a fullrange-driver and works at least as good as many Fostexīs this way.
    There are many valid arguments against a fullrange driver, but it still has some benefits. If you desire this kind of magic is up to you. As you have asked how to use this in a 2-way, I reckon you have allready tried it allone!? If not, give it a try.

I had the alnico version of this a couple of years ago in concrete bowls. Yes concrete! These were the heaviest speakers I had so far...
    But it definitly had itīs own magic as a single point source, enclosure without standing waves and directly coupled to an amp without any crossover. But shure, bandwidth was limited and it was far from "neutral".
    But it had soul and drive.

To cover your question, I believe there are two reasonable solutions.
    If you want your system to behave neutraly you would have to cross it very low somewhere around 1khz as widget allready said. This would get you most probably to a 1"-driver such as 2426 or similar...
    If you strictly want to use a real tweeter, I would say this depends on the dispersion of the LE8T at itīs crossover frequency.
    You want a tweeter with matching dispersion so that your in room response is as flat as possible in the end. Therefor I imagine a 2402 would match better than a 2405 or 2404 as your LE8T will probably have a very narrow dispersion in the high mids... But this is just a guess, hopefully someone with more technical backround will chime in!

Thread Information