Thread: Stainless/bronze/brass horns?

Stainless/bronze/brass horns?

Dear folks

I've just noticed on ebay that there are being offered stainless steel, and bronze copies of JBL horns .. at ridiculous prices.

I'd just want to put it out there that as a designer and manufacturer of mouthpieces for brass instruments, if there should ever be any serious interest in either stainless, bronze, plastic, brass, .. replicas of certain models. I'd most probably be able to offer them at a much lower price than the prices I'm seeing online. If it can be turned or milled, I can get the job done without a doubt, using high grade CNC machines. Prices would of course be dependent on the production amount (single item custom work is not the idea), so if there is an interest in a certain model, or models, let's discuss - and I'll see what I can do.

If there is a forum policy against me making an offer like this, please remove my message. Although I run a for profit business, I like a fair deal as much as anyone, and I'll do what I can to make it as interesting as possible for the community (if I don't lose money, I'm fine with it).

Best wishes

Tim

Hi Tim,

sounds very interesting to me!

I always loved the look of brass tweeter horns, but the prices are out of reach. Currently I´m not about to purchase any of them, but in the future this will likely change
    So far I have seen many of the 2402 bullet-horns... But could you actually replicate a 2405 slot-horn up to original specs?
    I guess there won´t be a big crowd asking for these, so expect rather moderate production numbers. What prices are you aiming at aproximately?

I wish you success!!
    Olaf

Replicating the parts of the 2405 would be no problem whatsoever from a technical POV.. Or most parts for that matter.. Even something like the M2 waveguide is perfectly possible (although that may not be okay legally :-) )

Prices depend on the complexity and size of the part - and the quantity I can produce them in. Ideally 10-25 identical copies of a given design is the sweet spot for stuff like this. As soon as I get some more suggestions I can work out some prices.

Here's a sample of some my work. Brass cup - beadblasted/laser engraved with a titanium nitride coated stainless rim. To give you an idea it's approximately 25mm wide on the top and 70mm long. Accuracy +/-0.025mm

Name:  13346346_1061955987218412_4560873906357763198_o.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  78.9 KB

I'll see if I can find some technical drawings of JBL horns. For something like the 2307 - I'd aim to achieve a price of around the $300-400 mark for a pair in stainless or bronze instead of the near 2k price I'm finding on ebay. Lower if possible, like I said, while I'm also a for profit business, I'm also for the community. I like the idea of modern copies of these horns - but Jesus, that price is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by TimVG View Post
    Replicating the parts of the 2405 would be no problem whatsoever from a technical POV.. Or most parts for that matter..
    Hi TimVG
    I would be interested in what you could do with the 2405’s in polished SS, wave-guide and phase plug. (3 pairs). I would also just settle for the wave-guides in SS.

Many years ago I did purchase from KENRICK SOUND the polished SS 2307 horns at a price far, far less than the current eBay listing (even in C$ ) and have acquired a set of the 2308s in polished SS.

I’d also be interested in a pair of polished SS 2311 horns.

PS Do some comparison shopping at KENRICK SOUND for the 2307s.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    Hi TimVG
    I would be interested in what you could do with the 2405’s in polished SS, wave-guide and phase plug. (3 pairs). I would also just settle for the wave-guides in SS.

Many years ago I did purchase from KENRICK SOUND the polished SS 2307 horns at a price far, far less than the current eBay listing (even in C$ ) and have acquired a set of the 2308s in polished SS.

I’d also be interested in a pair of polished SS 2311 horns.

PS Do some comparison shopping at KENRICK SOUND for the 2307s.

Chris

Hi Chris

Prices at Kenrick seem indeed to be more fair - although still on the high side for my taste. Since I've seen the 2405 mentioned two times already, it would perhaps be a good candidate for a first run.. In that case I'll be looking for a donor waveguide/plug/?bracket to take measurements from, and as much official info as I can find about the 2405, as to rule out production tolerances on what I end up taking measurements from. I'll see about setting up a thread in the marketplace with a reference to this thread.

In the meanwhile. If anyone has any clear pictures of the different parts (phase plug, waveguide, bracket) of the 2405 (preferably front and back) in dismantled state.. Feel free to post them, I'd like to work out some approximate pricing asap to give you guys an idea of what can be done

Best

Tim

Great to see this project picking up speed

In that case I'll be looking for a donor waveguide/plug/?bracket to take measurements from, and as much official info as I can find about the 2405, as to rule out production tolerances on what I end up taking measurements from.
    I´ve noticed considerably production tolerances between an alnico 2405 and a later ferrit 2405h. The outer diameter of the waveguide differed about 0,7mm!! The newer 2405H was thinner...

I just checked the local market-places here in germany but couldn´t find any 2405 with damaged diaphragms... Currently I can´t help by donating a 2405, but I keep looking.

I thought that could be the case! My main concern would be making sure that everything fits as it should for all potential buyers.
    That means getting the correct size for reference, and not deviating more than +/- 0.1mm for something like this. For specialty parts I've gone as close as +/- 0.025mm, but in this case I believe the former will be more than okay.

The tolerance of some of these cast aluminium horns is not great.

seems stressful but the end result make me think the effort an time is well spent.
    could you please post some of your prototypes, i can get an idea where you wanted to -
    take your designs.

id prefer 7075 to ball burnish or anodize,

No prototypes yet. First I'll provide some quotes as what to expect price wise, and if there is enough interest then, I'll get my hands on some more 2405s to take measurements.
    I have a pair of 2405, and 077s.. But they're being used daily

Any member who by any chance has a 2405 sitting around disassembled and willing to take a couple of photographs for me? Rather not do it to mine with the wax seals intact..

Any member who by any chance has a 2405 sitting around disassembled and willing to take a couple of photographs for me? Rather not do it to mine with the wax seals intact..
    Id love to be a happy participant. Please keep the updates rolling.
    Brian

Can you offer wood as a substitute

Thread Information