Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250TI Classics Purchase

250TI Classics Purchase

Hi everyone.

After many years of looking for a pair of 250ti's - I succeeded. Piano black Classics in mint condition. These are the European version that the original owner imported back into the US. They are labelled 250TI BQ - I have no idea what BQ means - I'm sure someone here will know.

Had to drive 2000 plus miles as the owner sensibly would not ship. Certainly they are worth the drive.

I was surprised just how big they are - never seen them live before.

So how do they sound? I set them up temporarily in my man cave next to my 1400's. Another surprise they sound more efficient. The 1400's are more neutral but the almost overwhelming bass not helped by the corner location. Whereas the 250's are more colored in that vocals are slightly chesty but otherwise the sound is open, airy, definitely more dynamic and incredibly clean driven by my Emotiva 600 watter. Cleaner and smoother than my old cherished 212's. I'm happy!

I will send some photos when I have sorted out my man cave.

Congrats. Sounds like they were worth the drive.

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

I believe the "BQ" stands for Black lacQuer.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Congratulations!
    Currently: L300, C40 Harkness (030 Load), 4301B

I have a pair of the piano finish 250Ti Classics as well as the Original Teak 250Ti. Great speakers. A friend has the same combo as you..1400 arrays and 250Ti Piano Black Limited Edition speakers. Remember to give them some breathing space ie clear of rear and side walls. Congrats on your purchase.
    Currently own and use JBL 250Ti,250Ti Classic,18Ti,L100T and L20T

Thanks to you all for your kind replies.

BQ = black lacquer - thanks.

To me the 250ti's are the best domestic speakers JBL produced at the time.

I am already thinking of swapping out the capacitors for newer caps. My old old 212's benefited greatly from newer ones.
    Maybe charge coupling or using bypass caps. I believe there are a few experts in this forum who do this work.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet212 View Post
    Maybe charge coupling or using bypass caps. I believe there are a few experts in this forum who do this work.
    Pretty sure you will find bypass caps all through those crossovers already. Just be aware that anything you do to the original crossovers could decrease their value.

Congrats!

Sounds like you got what you were looking for here - you'll enjoy them for a long time. I compared mine to some 1400's and didn't make the upgrade move. Mids are better for sure, but the 250Ti is just such a well balanced player that it soon becomes a reference for everything else.

I did the homework and my only move from here are Salon Ultima 2's (if they ever depreciate down into my tax bracket).

Enjoy them, and be careful they don't start whispering that you need better sources to feed them with :-)

jblnut

Congratulations!!!

Can we see a picture? Some of us love the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    Congratulations!!!

Can we see a picture? Some of us love the photos!
    Thanks to all your replies.

Sure - once I sort my room out and box up the 1400's.

Yes the 1400's are definitely more accurate and even though they both use the same bass driver the bass is better - more solid in the 1400's IMO. But I still prefer the 250's as you say more presence - fuller, richer sound. And they look amazing.

If I was to update my amps a Bryson would be my choice. Having 3 power amps a 600 watt Emotiva, a Cambridge 200 watter and an old Phase Linear 400. There is really little difference in sound IMO between them. The old Phase Linear still sounds pretty good but we know how prone they are to going DC.

Yes the 1400's are definitely more accurate and even though they both use the same bass driver the bass is better - more solid in the 1400's IMO. But I still prefer the 250's as you say more presence - fuller, richer sound. And they look amazing.
    What the 250 models have is a time aligned baffle. There's a "certain something" that this adds to clarity which nothing else offers. That and just being a big-assed 4-way. The PT800/PS1400 stack occupies a comfortable place between the 250 and Array as far as sound stage and clarity are concerned. The 250 is a good deal more directional.

Comparing L250s and PS stacks to the 1400, I chose the 1400 and sold the 250s. I keep the PS system in storage but never get the urge to set it up. I suppose it really boils down to tweeter vs horn and which you prefer. But I'd still choose the PS stacks over the 250s.

Don't sell your 1400s. Listen to the 250s for a few months and dial them in. Then swap the 1400s in and see what you think. The 250s benefit from EQ more than the 1400s do.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Sounds like you got what you were looking for here - you'll enjoy them for a long time. I compared mine to some 1400's and didn't make the upgrade move. Mids are better for sure, but the 250Ti is just such a well balanced player that it soon becomes a reference for everything else.

I did the homework and my only move from here are Salon Ultima 2's (if they ever depreciate down into my tax bracket).

Enjoy them, and be careful they don't start whispering that you need better sources to feed them with :-)

jblnut
    You mean 250Ti is better than array 1400?
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    What the 250 models have is a time aligned baffle. There's a "certain something" that this adds to clarity which nothing else offers. That and just being a big-assed 4-way. The PT800/PS1400 stack occupies a comfortable place between the 250 and Array as far as sound stage and clarity are concerned. The 250 is a good deal more directional.

Comparing L250s and PS stacks to the 1400, I chose the 1400 and sold the 250s. I keep the PS system in storage but never get the urge to set it up. I suppose it really boils down to tweeter vs horn and which you prefer. But I'd still choose the PS stacks over the 250s.

Don't sell your 1400s. Listen to the 250s for a few months and dial them in. Then swap the 1400s in and see what you think. The 250s benefit from EQ more than the 1400s do.
    Yes thanks for the advice.

To answer Martins question. IMO its just personal preference. All speakers have some coloration the 1400's less so but I prefer the open airy top end of the 250's and the forward mids.

I promised some photos. My room is a little tight for such large speakers.

Name:  250ti 006.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  73.7 KBName:  250ti 005.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  90.9 KBName:  250ti 008.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  94.4 KB[ATTACH]7

Yes thanks for the advice.

To answer Martins question. IMO its just personal preference. All speakers have some coloration the 1400's less so but I prefer the open airy top end of the 250's and the forward mids.

I promised some photos. My room is a little tight for such large speakers.

Name:  250ti 006.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  73.7 KBName:  250ti 005.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  90.9 KBName:  250ti 008.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  94.4 KB[ATTACH]7
    Thanks for your comment on 1400 and 250Ti and photos
    46 lover

One man's upgrade is another man's different

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    You mean 250Ti is better than array 1400?
    What I mean (and said) was that I listened to 1400's and decided to keep my 250ti's. It was not worth the $10k US to upgrade.

Read into that what you will....

jblnut

Thread Information