Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 4345 DIY project of a complete Rookie

You may want to look at Anaview ALC amplifier modules (used by amphion, parasound, ..) They are studio grade class D modules and sound great, not difficult to build (many guides), and are not very expensive.
    You could put 4 modules in one chassis to save on space, add a miniDSP or other form of active crossover and be on your way. One of the may advantages of an active DSP crossover is being able to time allign the drivers, this makes a huge audible difference. Especially between the horn and the mid. I don't think I'd ever revert to a passive crossover with anything the length of a 2307 horn.

Thanks Tim!

I just wanted to ask you guys about a possible implementation of the Hypex PSC2.400 in the speakers? Tim sent me a private message about these and from what I understand these could very much do the job.

What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks again!

Max

For those interested.
    I recommended the Hypex plate amps for the following reasons:
    -Saving space (was preferable to Max)
    -Integrated DSP (crossover, time alligning, taming low range modes, ..)
    -Can be daisy chained for a 4 way system
    -Great build quality

One can argue the sound of passive crossovers/traditional amps vs active DSP class D stuff .. But I prefer the latter for versatility, it can sound just as good or better than the traditional way if implemented correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by TimVG View Post
    For those interested.
    I recommended the Hypex plate amps for the following reasons:
    -Saving space (was preferable to Max)
    -Integrated DSP (crossover, time alligning, taming low range modes, ..)
    -Can be daisy chained for a 4 way system
    -Great build quality

One can argue the sound of passive crossovers/traditional amps vs active DSP class D stuff .. But I prefer the latter for versatility, it can sound just as good or better than the traditional way if implemented correctly.
    I agree in principle and prefer to state the obvious.

l very much doubt the average person could pull it out of the box and get the whole thing working to perfection in one evening.

False hope = False News

It's just not going to happen.

Without high quality audio measurements, crossover network design skills, ability to measure and interpret existing voltage drives it might end up an tweaking fest ending in frustration and failure.

Most people learnt that the hard way with Dexq.

Hi Ian

I also agree that it takes some know-how to pull of an active crossover, and you certainly won't fine-tune it in one evening. But I'm just not sure if I agree that it's that difficult to do a basic setup.

A good quality (calibrated) microphone, measuring software, knowing what to measure and how to interpret it, and a good set of ears are all a prerequisite.
    I used a basic Dayton-UMM6 USB microphone, REW (free) and was able to do a basic setup in 30 minutes (and then spent weeks tweaking, to me that's part of the fun). I'm not familiar with the DeqX (apart from reading), but it's a far more capable and complex DSP than the basic Hypex or Minidsp software.

I used an even simpler DSP from Reckhorn, you can download the (very basic) software for free and fool around if you will: https://www.reckhorn.com/pages/frequ...uenzweiche.php

Now, it of course comes down to the question for Max: Do you wish to simply build a 4345, standard network, and be done with it.. Or do you wish to tweak and play, -possibly- getting a better system in the end.. Whichever option you choose, I'm sure it'll be a good system, and loads of people are ready to help where needed.

Thread Information