Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TAD 2404 Build

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If you were my neighbour you could borrow mine (4003) so you could at least hear those beautiful loudspeakers go after all the work that has been done.

thank you for good offer
    we wait and see what the seller of drivers will do

are you using them in your system and what kind of speaker are you using them in?

here are the answers from the seller GT-sound http://www.gt-sound.com/

HI Ari Oskarsson

Is it alright for a while, how are you?

Did you finish the Speaker box?

TD-4003

① DC-7, 5 Ω is normal value.
    AC measurement will result in 12 to 13 Ω.

② I checked the sound at the time of shipping, but there was no
    abnormality.

We opened the back chamber of DRIVER UNIT of TAD, GTS, and diaphragm
    I will not remove it.

1. It does not have jigs that make precise height adjustment when
    setting again. I have a TAD service.

2. The material of the diaphragm is beryllium and it seems there is a
    danger to the human body.

Best regards
    K.Goto

I am 100% sure he did not opened the back cap

Photos

The back had not been opened for a few years .... It wasn't opened last year . GT.Sound ....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

How would a damage like this occur? It does not look like the typical over excursion.

Anyways, I would expect that used drivers with a price tag like this to be seriously tested with tone generator and distortion measurements before shipping.
    Hope the seller is resolving this issue..,

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    thank you for good offer
    we wait and see what the seller of drivers will do

are you using them in your system and what kind of speaker are you using them in?
    I prefer not to publicise my lunicy too often ....LOL

Edit : Diy version of this
    (Image C/- Oswald Mill Audio)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    I prefer not to publicise my lunicy....LOL

No problem

I think at the best way for me is to send my TAD Td-4003 to this company http://www.hornstudio.de/tad.htm in Germany for repair
    I will not sell my TAD 2404 monitors they are going to cost me to much so I will not sell them

How did I miss this thread !

TN-4 has nothing to do with DN-2404 network. TN-4 was for the range of TAD PA loudspeakers, crossing at 800Hz 36dB/oct for LF and 12dB/oct for HF with no EQ at all for the horn (we can then expect that the corresponding TH-4371 horn did not require any EQ). There are low variation in TAD crossover network design, TN-4 is almost a shifted to 800Hz version of TN-1. Furthermore TN-4 is ONLY for twin bass unit versions of TAD speakers and unlike the documentation cannot be used with a single woofer. I had the opportunity to play (and do some measurements of the components) with TN-4 and I know what I'm talking about.

It can be nice to have more information about the 2404 network, LF section being probably close to TN-2 LF network. TL-1601c can be seen as a modern version of TL-1601a. Is it possible to get values and schematic ?

In TSM2 (seems to be about the same volume), bass reflex port is tuned to 32Hz. 28Hz from formulas is a bit lower especially because the three inductances of the LF crossover (look to the shaped plastic of the network, on the right is the LFpart with three inductances and the long box is the place of capacitors such as in TN-4) will have a resistance value that will modify a bit Qts of 1601c and you'll have to adapt port length to get what you want in terms of tuning frequency. The best is to measure the impedance for adjusting.

I ordered TAD recone kits to Phase Akustik (Hornstudio.de), and the service was OK.

PS: We have plans one day to spend vacations in Iceland, this will probably place this higher in the trip priority list if there is a possibility to visit

I will not sell my TAD 2404 monitors they are going to cost me to much so I will not sell them
    These are speakers for life. I've no intention neither to sell my TAD 2402/TSM2 replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    These are speakers for life. I've no intention neither to sell my TAD 2402/TSM2 replicas.

Actually I need to choose between my S9900 project and the TADīs I canīt keep both
    there is nearly impossible to sell the S9900 but my TAD 2404 with new Td-4003 dias easier to sell for good price

@ richluvsound:

It would be very kind of you if you could help me out with some informations on your build

Your bass enclosure has an internal net volume of 171 liters with two ports with 10cm diameter and 10cm of length, correct ?
    Which woofer-modell have you mounted inside?

I own a pair of TAD TL-1603 and have a very similar enclosure size.
    But my simulation-programm WinISD tells me I need a portlenght of 30cm!
    Do our woofers differ that much or is my simulation-programm rubish?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Olaf

When trying to calculate the TAD 2402 port length by using WinISD I never succeeded to find the port length used by TAD 105mm for a 100mm diameter (fb 32Hz for 135L for a single TL-1601a).

Instead I did as it was in the plan, measured Fb, and it was working perfectly

The proposed formula written in a previous post, should be tried on my example to see if it allows to get the right port length.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Are you certain the original ports used in the TAD 2402 are 105mm in length and 100mm in diameter? Is the internal net volume really as low as 135liters? The enclosure looks bigger and my guess would have been around 150liters or more...
    Have you owned this enclosure or where did you find these infoīs?

My TL-1603 seems to have pretty similar TSPīs to the TL-1601a in the 2402 enclosure according to TADīs specs. So it should behave similar in the same enclosure I guess...

TL-1603 TS parameters are the same as the 1601b which requires a bit larger volume than 1601a.

Two ports 100mm diameter and length of 105mm is was is written on plans available on Internet. Taking the Port length formula from the previous page, makes Vb of 129L matching two ports of 100mm diameter and 105mm length for 32Hz.
    135L is the volume I estimated from the plans, some people are talking about 125L, so 129L is a credible value, between the two of them.
    I tried two ports of 100mm length of 105mm this on my exact clones of 2402 (missing dimensions can be easily deduced, panels thickness is 22mm, bracing 44x60mm) and it was working well, unlike port length found using WinISD.

Actually I need to choose between my S9900 project and the TADīs I canīt keep both
    there is nearly impossible to sell the S9900 but my TAD 2404 with new Td-4003 dias easier to sell for good price
    Keep the TADs, otherwise you'll regret.

Why is it impossible to sell the S9900 ? Should be easier, anyone knows (even my kids know JBL, isn't it the name of a small bluetooth cube playing the music from phones) the brand name JBL.

First of all, sorry for asking these things again, I hope I donīt misuse this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    In TSM2 (...), bass reflex port is tuned to 32Hz. 28Hz from formulas is a bit lower especially because the three inductances of the LF crossover ..... will have a resistance value that will modify a bit Qts of 1601c and you'll have to adapt port length to get what you want in terms of tuning frequency.
    So the formula didnīt take the three inductances into account, right? So the 28hz tuning is without the crossover and in reality tuning frequency will raise from 28hz to 32hz because of the resistance of the inductors?
    If I run the woofer without the passive crossover, I would have to shorten the ports a bit to reach a 32hz tuning, right?

Sorry if I might mix up on things, but the thread-starter used a volume of 171 liters in the formula rather than your 135 liters.
    Thatīs why he gets 28hz tuning and you get 32hz tuning with the same port-length?
    Or does the 2404 enclosure uses a different woofer-type?

Iīve looked at this page for the specs on the TAD woofers:
    http://www.technicalaudiodevices.com/lf-units
    QTS is 0,34 for TL-1601a and TL-1603, but is 0,31 for TL-1601b. FS and VAS is very similar on all of them.
    Thatīs why I was thinking 1603 is closer to 1601a than to 1601b...

Btw; can I simply copy the value of the End correction factor or how do I determine this figure for the formula for the 1603 ?

Subtracting the panel thickness of 22mm from the outside dimension, I get 202,5 liters for the internal volume for the 2402 enclosure. Of course bracing, driver displacement and midrange-horn displacement has to be subtracted of that 202,5 liters, but my guess wouldīve been this could result in 20-30 liters. To result in a netvolume of ~130 liters the insides must occupy nearly 70 liters! Is the 2402 braced that heavily?
    Donīt get me wrong, I do not want to argue with you or doubt knowledge as you have build a copy yourself, I just want to understand.

Thread Information