Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAD 2404 Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

TAD 2404 Build

Its been a while folks ....

Many of you know Ari .... He's helped many of us get those components we've drooled over . He helped me get my 1500AL a few years ago .

Ari and I talk on the phone quite a bit and during one of these conversations he declares ownership of TAD's rare and highly prized parts for the 2404 studio monitor . I've been trying to help him sell the parts after he decided to go another direction ,but after 6 months no one has shown any serious interest ..... So then we decided to put them in cabinets to try and sweeten the deal . Now he's seen them he's not so sure he want s to part with them .

Theres still the grills to make and the stands ( in the same design and material as the speaker ) Some labels made by the Paolo in Italy . He did a wonderful job of the TAD 2251 project I did last year .
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by richluvsound; 09-12-2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: rotate photos

Nice Rich!

I love the skid rails on the back of the cabinet ( protecting the crossover parts ) .

How about some more pics ( please ) ?

Yes, beautiful!

More please!

Widget

Good to see evidence you're still at it
    Cool project!

A few more photos .....

A few more of the build .

I don't think I have them hooked up correctly .... and no schematic .Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

Very nice indeed Rich!
    The 2404 is the pinnacle of TAD technology and know-how

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    A few more of the build .

I don't think I have them hooked up correctly .... and no schematic .Any ideas would be greatly appreciated .
    Hi Rich,

I think your message is a bit too cryptic ( as a proper cry for help ).

Descriptions of ( initial impressions/disappointments ) are helpful ( assuming you can't provide any response captures ).

Ian ( Macka ) at one time had a network schematic for the double woofer model ( I'd suggest contacting him ).

Did you build the horns ( or are they someone elses handiwork) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi Rich,

I think your message is a bit too cryptic ( as a proper cry for help ).

Descriptions of ( initial impressions/disappointments ) are helpful ( assuming you can't provide any response captures ).

Ian ( Macka ) at one time had a network schematic for the double woofer model ( I'd suggest contacting him ).

Did you build the horns ( or are they someone elses handiwork) ?

The horns are original Earl .... The crossover is completely different to the TN 4 ... I've emailed GT sound for advice . I don't understand why they stopped making them .....even with the hook up issue I can hear what they do .

How would a damage like this occur? It does not look like the typical over excursion.

Anyways, I would expect that used drivers with a price tag like this to be seriously tested with tone generator and distortion measurements before shipping.
    Hope the seller is resolving this issue..,

here are the answers from the seller GT-sound http://www.gt-sound.com/

HI Ari Oskarsson

Is it alright for a while, how are you?

Did you finish the Speaker box?

TD-4003

① DC-7, 5 Ω is normal value.
    AC measurement will result in 12 to 13 Ω.

② I checked the sound at the time of shipping, but there was no
    abnormality.

We opened the back chamber of DRIVER UNIT of TAD, GTS, and diaphragm
    I will not remove it.

1. It does not have jigs that make precise height adjustment when
    setting again. I have a TAD service.

2. The material of the diaphragm is beryllium and it seems there is a
    danger to the human body.

Best regards
    K.Goto

I am 100% sure he did not opened the back cap

Photos

The back had not been opened for a few years .... It wasn't opened last year . GT.Sound ....

Thanks a lot!

Hi ,

you can't compare 04 and 02 ... 4003 and 4001 aren't the same to start with. 1.5" and 2" respectively . The 2404 use 1601c woofers ... and yes ,more like the A TS than the others .

My internal volume 183 ltrs subtract 12 for 1601,horn and bracing left me 171 .... there is more bracing in my copy, as that was an issue with the original . There is also no 18mm MDF in my build on 25mm BBP . The final tuning is spot on , more by luck than judgement . I have made a few changes . I never intended to build an exact copy, only that they were in the spirit of the original . These small changes were to get around copyright issues . And yes , I'll build another pair in the future and run them actively .

Richard .

Hi ,

you can't compare 04 and 02 ... 4003 and 4001 aren't the same to start with. 1.5" and 2" respectively . The 2404 use 1601c woofers ... and yes ,more like the A TS than the others .

My internal volume 183 ltrs subtract 12 for 1601,horn and bracing left me 171 .... there is more bracing in my copy, as that was an issue with the original . There is also no 18mm MDF in my build on 25mm BBP . The final tuning is spot on , more by luck than judgement . I have made a few changes . I never intended to build an exact copy, only that they were in the spirit of the original . These small changes were to get around copyright issues . And yes , I'll build another pair in the future and run them actively .

Richard .
    I thought these 2404 were in Iceland, are they in London ? If yes I'll send you a PM, I'm free this evening to listen to them

Hi ,

Richard .
    To go active is the best route with these TAD loudspeakers. I did this on my 2402 clones, and will never come back.
    If you can, mesure the frequency response at the output of the passive crossover and clone them in a digital crossover. This is what I did with a TN-2 network.

Thread Information