Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I had to say goodbye to my JBL L300s

I had to say goodbye to my JBL L300s

I recently downsized from my 5,000 sf home in Virginia to a less than 2,000 sf home in Florida. There was no way JBL L300s will fit in this small home so I reluctantly gave them to my son-in-law. My question is what state of the art small size speakers would be best to come closest to the sound that I am used to. Thanks for any and all input. Tom

Powered JBL 708P speakers would probably fit the bill... but may not be the ideal aesthetic choice.

Widget

Agree with Widget 7-series if definitely a contender.

Being used to the "compression driver details", maybe take a look at the new 4329 (active) and 4349 (passive). They are 8" and 12" woofer based respectively. Booth sound really good IMHO.

https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors-...tors-Specialty

Kind regards
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

We don't really know whether or not in the new abode the issue is with footprint real estate, or should any suggestion consider only bookshelf placement?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    We don't really know whether or not in the new abode the issue is with footprint real estate, or should any suggestion consider only bookshelf placement?
    Thanks. I'm trying to upload a picture, but I keep getting error messages. I'll keep trying. Tom Size matters
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    Thanks. I'm trying to upload a picture, but I keep getting error messages. I'll keep trying. Tom

Try resizing it make it smaller.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Agree with Widget 7-series if definitely a contender.

Being used to the "compression driver details", maybe take a look at the new 4329 (active) and 4349 (passive). They are 8" and 12" woofer based respectively. Booth sound really good IMHO.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    Those are both much nicer looking and probably excellent performers, but I have a hard time recommending anything sold by JBL Consumer these days. The amp will likely fail before the 4329P has completed its useful life and JBL is no longer interested in servicing anything they sell. I am even a little concerned about recommending JBL Pro, but so far they appear to remain OK in this regard.

It is really too bad as Harman's engineering is still top drawer.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The same reason I hoard (kind of) JBL legacy drivers. I keep LE10s, LE14s and 2235s for future projects. Anything modern is 4x the price and, most times, only just as good. I jealously keep my L5s and L7s for the same reason.

Just my 2 cents. If you can find a pair of 4313 / L96 they should sneak into the space you have.
    Waving ta ta to L300's is a hard knock , the above models will have similar voicing being of the same era.

Good luck in your search.

https://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uplo...o_monitors.jpg

I think something with controlled dispersion would be most appropriate since 1 will be in a corner and 1 will be out in the open. Perhaps an Array 1000 or Studio 590/580 would be good choices.

After seeing the photo I have to say that space is simply crying for a pair of L5s. They work beautifully in a similar environment at my house either side of my TV in the Library. They are the right height without stands, their footprint is small, and they will surprise you with their sound quality. For the $200-500 they'll cost you, certainly worth a try. My prediction is that you won't pine for the L300s for long.

The LH member who picked up my first L5s for me in Boston kept them in his townhouse for a couple of weeks until I could pick them up. He played them alongside his 4333 and was impressed. I found another pair in Boston and told my brother-in-law to buy them and if he didn't love them, I'd take them off his hands for what he paid. I think he's had them now for over ten-years. I truly believe the L5 is equivalent to my L96 in that they play well anywhere, and they're perfect for tjm100's new room.

New and "state of the art" might also describe the 580 and 590 series.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    I think something with controlled dispersion would be most appropriate since 1 will be in a corner and 1 will be out in the open. Perhaps an Array 1000 or Studio 590/580 would be good choices.
    Great point. Perhaps it's just me, but if possible, I'd rearrange the furniture such that both speaks could be in a corner.

Tom you did not mention your budget. If you are into the JBL legacy speakers you might what to check for some Ti250’s, L220/22’s or L150A’s. These are kind of narrow speaker versions and they get the mid and tweeter up to ear level while sitting on your couch.

Thanks guys for all of the great ideas. I'm processing all the options in the middle of furnishing a new house in a new area of the country. I see a guy on Facebook Market Place has some L5s for sale. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8&__tn__=!%3AD They are in Jacksonville, FL which is about three hours north of me. They look a little beat up on the cabinets. I've never seen an L5 up close. What are the cabinets made of? Do you think something like these are repairable/paint-able?

L5s are wood veneer with a black stain. The front baffle is more like masonite painted black. I have a problem with FB Marketplace sometimes where the entire description disappears, and this is happening with your link. I can't even tell if they have all four grilles for them. The speakers/drivers themselves look fine and you can freshen up the cabinets with anything from black shoe polish to stripping them and refinishing them in normal wood tone. I suppose that's current pricing but you used to be able to get two-pair for that.

Okay, it seems to work on my mobile so I can see the grilles. Everything looks like it will clean up okay. He's looking for offers Compared to other nicer ones much further away . . . I'd toss $300 out there and see if he bites. But then you're the one who has to do that drive, not me!

Thread Information