View Poll Results: Your age as of 8/17 ??

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 18-30

4 6.25%
  • 31-40

6 9.38%
  • 41-50

10 15.63%
  • 51-60

19 29.69%
  • 61-70

22 34.38%
  • 71-80

2 3.13%
  • older than time

1 1.56%

Thread: LHFer's ages poll

LHFer's ages poll

I have some ideas of the age demographics of LHF members ,
    but would like to take a poll , just for my own info.

IF your age falls outside the choices, plse just reply
    with a short note.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I wasn't even old enough to drink yet when I joined this website

Well I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I don't understand with the great sound now in first run movie theaters, why younger people wouldn't want to emulate it at home.
    There is a lot of work to do, a lot of younger people need to discover the joy's of our hobby.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Well I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I don't understand with the great sound now in first run movie theaters, why younger people wouldn't want to emulate it at home.
    There is a lot of work to do, a lot of younger people need to discover the joy's of our hobby.
    I agree Ed.

the 51-70 groups are abt 75% of the respondents so far. As I had surmised before this poll.

So, am I the oldest living JBL employee?

I was only 9-years-old when I got my first JBL, the day in Missouri my Dad put the single 030 system at the curb for the Goodwill to pick up when he purchased his first Stereo system. It had been playing in my home since I was about 4-years-old in 1957 and I dragged it back to my room to keep forever.

I've tried to pass along the virtue of big JBLs to my three kids but a rather transient lifestyle means only a spare pair of 2500s have recently made the trek from the East Coast back to LA-LA Land in the hands of my eldest daughter who recently entered a Masters program there. My middle-daughter would love to have some of my "stuff" but apartment living in Brooklyn makes it more of a burden right now. She does have a yard-sale system I took to her consisting of Mordant-Short pedestal speakers, Rotel integrated amp and tuner, and AT turntable. Her last couple of birthdays she's asked for presents that include a portable mixer, a vocal microphone, and a good pair of Sennheisers for monitoring her recordings. I think she gets it.

Personally I attribute her love of hi-fidelity to a lifetime of playing cello; the range and quality of that sound has to set you up for wanting all recordings to reproduce that sound, too.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    So, am I the oldest living JBL employee?
    I wouldn't know but I wish you many more years of productivity!

http://www.dentonrc.com/news/news/20...mmits-to-sound

http://www.itrstudio.com/about.html
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Talking

One of 2 under 30....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    My son is 35 with a family lifestyle. He has an "old style" system of my L100's (doubt I'll ever get them back) , a big kenwood receiver and good TT.

Among his friends, his home is the "go to place" to hear music/movies "the right way". Some remark that they've never heard tunes sound so good

On top of it all , he thinks about Dad each time the JBL's play.

Well in the Melbourne Audio club (the oldest Audio Club cc1974) they are mostly 60+

There are a few with Jbl but a number of older members have "large" loudspeaker- Hartly, Kilpschorns, Bozak, RTR Magnums.

Another slant on this might be, "what age group is most likely to respond to a poll re hi-fi?"
    ... but sure, no big surprises here.

My kids all like and recognize good sound, but convenience and space are king.
    Will be interesting to see how that develops later.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I agree Ed.

the 51-70 groups are abt 75% of the respondents so far. As I had surmised before this poll.
    AudioKarma did a similar poll last year. Results: Same age group. Surprised me. I expected that group to be much younger.

Considering our ages here, we need to treat each other with much greater respect. Time to start saying "Yes, sir," and "No, sir."

'Cept for Heather. She's a spring chicken, though.

GeeDeeEmm

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Yeah, but if you'd done the poll ten-years ago . . .

I wonder if the bulk of the population has been aging along with the site?

Another perspective.

When the Lansing Heritage forums were formed the majority of us were in our mid forties.

A lot of people surfaced and there was a lot of collaboration.

Of course the forums at the time were primarily an information gathering exercise for the Library.

In talking to others they had exposure to JBL in their youth and college years and then a revival later on.

This theme makes a lot of sense relating the profile of audio as entertainment in the 70's to mid 80's, the impact of other forms of entertainment after that while people pursued other priorities in life and later returned to their passion.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    AudioKarma did a similar poll last year. Results: Same age group. Surprised me. I expected that group to be much younger.
    I don't read AK , this is my only forum and the age poll was my idea, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

Considering our ages here, we need to treat each other with much greater respect. Time to start saying "Yes, sir," and "No, sir." .
    No, sir, I don't think that's gonna happen. If someone addresses me as "sir", I usually look around to see if my Dad is near

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post

This theme makes a lot of sense relating the profile of audio as entertainment in the 70's to mid 80's, the impact of other forms of entertainment after that while people pursued other priorities in life and later returned to their passion.
    Or people is those groups have more available time (retired ?) and more disposable income to play at this.

Thread Information