Thread: Integrating a Yuichi a290 horn with a jbl l300

Integrating a Yuichi a290 horn with a jbl l300

Hi everyone,

A while back I built a pair of L300's but instead of the original compression driver I used a 2441 driver with a smith horn on top. The speakers are using the modified Nelson Pass crossover and worked like a dream.
    Now I wanted to challenge myself again and someone here suggested a Yuichi horn. It looked interesting and I thought I will give it a go. A lot of sawdust later I have finished them and yes they do sound better. I know the Yuichi horns can go a lot lower so I used a active crossover and yes the sweet spot seems to be around 700hz. So my question is how to modify the crossover so that the horn (2441) and the woofer (2235h) meet at about 700hz? Can this be done and how can it be done?

thank you in advance
    minush

Quote Originally Posted by Minush View Post
    Hi everyone,

A while back I built a pair of L300's but instead of the original compression driver I used a 2441 driver with a smith horn on top. The speakers are using the modified Nelson Pass crossover and worked like a dream.
    Now I wanted to challenge myself again and someone here suggested a Yuichi horn. It looked interesting and I thought I will give it a go. A lot of sawdust later I have finished them and yes they do sound better. I know the Yuichi horns can go a lot lower so I used a active crossover and yes the sweet spot seems to be around 700hz. So my question is how to modify the crossover so that the horn (2441) and the woofer (2235h) meet at about 700hz? Can this be done and how can it be done?

thank you in advance
    minush
    Hi Minush,

I think You need NO change in the mentioned (modified Nelson Pass crossover) network, may be L-pad correction would be ok.
    Going too low for 2441 driver would not be good, so about 800Hz (modified Nelson Pass crossover) is OK.
    Yuichi 290 (with fins) is very nice horn for 2441.

regards
    ivica

Ok Ivica I will do as you say. Btw the Yuichi horns were your suggestion from an older post.thank you again(hvala ti puno)

minush
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Minush,

I think You need NO change in the mentioned (modified Nelson Pass crossover) network, may be L-pad correction would be ok.
    Going too low for 2441 driver would not be good, so about 800Hz (modified Nelson Pass crossover) is OK.
    Yuichi 290 (with fins) is very nice horn for 2441.

regards
    ivica

2441 with L300 network ?

I thought the L300 used an 2420 1" driver originally?

Swapping an 2441 2" driver would propably cause problems with the L300 network, or does this work without any issues?
    Are there any changes that have to be done to the network to suit the 2441 driver?
    Does the network still maintain itīs original crossover-points with the 2441 mounted?

Thread Information