Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Jbl 4355

  1. #1
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58

    Jbl 4355

    Hi all,
    I know this has been discussed on the forums to a great extent... but does anyone have a clear schematic of the original crossover with the alternative to the tapped coils.... with l_pads....????? it would be nice to have an original schematic finalized with the new calculated figures without at tapped coil. Looking for the schematic to just read and build. I just want to keep my build true to the original and simple...

    Also a clear schematic of a charged coupled version is hard to sort out as i have not found a clean final version also... I have built the 4355's ... two pairs of sort and i want to build both.
    thanks so much.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

  2. #2
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58
    maybe Ian, Giskard, or Widget can comment as you gents seem to be the final word on these things.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    Hi all,
    I know this has been discussed on the forums to a great extent... but does anyone have a clear schematic of the original crossover with the alternative to the tapped coils.... with l_pads....????? it would be nice to have an original schematic finalized with the new calculated figures without at tapped coil. Looking for the schematic to just read and build. I just want to keep my build true to the original and simple...

    Also a clear schematic of a charged coupled version is hard to sort out as i have not found a clean final version also... I have built the 4355's ... two pairs of sort and i want to build both.
    thanks so much.
    It's in Giskard's 4345 development thread. In the database. He went through a couple ideas but the final version is towards the end of the of the thread. He posted the "charge coupled" version but the standard, single cap, version is functionally identical - just revise the capacitors; 16 + 16 = 8. I did the std. take (single caps) and it works just fine, sounds good enough that I have yet to bother with the "CC" upgrade (have the parts in stock - procrastinating!). Others did the CC version with equal success. Personal choice - a winner.

    P.S. Again, thanks Dr. G.

  4. #4
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58
    thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    It's in Giskard's 4345 development thread. In the database. He went through a couple ideas but the final version is towards the end of the of the thread. He posted the "charge coupled" version but the standard, single cap, version is functionally identical - just revise the capacitors; 16 + 16 = 8. I did the std. take (single caps) and it works just fine, sounds good enough that I have yet to bother with the "CC" upgrade (have the parts in stock - procrastinating!). Others did the CC version with equal success. Personal choice - a winner.

    P.S. Again, thanks Dr. G.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,768
    Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.



    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post395729

    I am not 100% certain it's the final version but it's a charge coupled schematic

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.

    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?27199-DIY-quot-4345-quot-Project/page8




  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    802
    These are my speakers. Wanted the sound more like the 4343 than the 4344, and with this crossover I got what I wanted. Maybe to bright for some?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    387
    The schematic is on page 8 of the thread. Good luck - but this is the original version. You can go from here.

  9. #9
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58
    thanks all for pointing me in the right direction , I found the GT and Giskard original version but there is the 2010 version from TECHbot.....which is better as you can charge couple both or reconfigure the caps for non charged? Has anyone compared them? I am leaning towards the GT and Giskard version based on the fact Greg worked on these. Thanks





    Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    The schematic is on page 8 of the thread. Good luck - but this is the original version. You can go from here.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

  10. #10
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,700

    4345 & 2441 Network

    Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    thanks all for pointing me in the right direction , I found the GT and Giskard original version but there is the 2010 version from TECHbot.....which is better as you can charge couple both or reconfigure the caps for non charged? Has anyone compared them? I am leaning towards the GT and Giskard version based on the fact Greg worked on these. Thanks
    or schematic here
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1280446056

  11. #11
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58
    thanks Ivica.... so which schematic is better..... the link you provided or the GT and Giskard version....? i dont want to make both versions to test it out. Any insight would be super helpful.they are similar but the inductor and resistor values are different for the 2441/2405.



    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

  12. #12
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58
    thanks all, have decided to build the 2010 version but not charge coupled.I can do that down the road. Thanks again for all the support this community provides. In the age of bluetooth and wifi streaming soundbars... its hard to believe the direction sound reproduction is taking. I will post some pictures of the build once complete.



    Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    thanks Ivica.... so which schematic is better..... the link you provided or the GT and Giskard version....? i dont want to make both versions to test it out. Any insight would be super helpful.they are similar but the inductor and resistor values are different for the 2441/2405.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

  13. #13
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    thanks all, have decided to build the 2010 version but not charge coupled.I can do that down the road. Thanks again for all the support this community provides. In the age of bluetooth and wifi streaming soundbars... its hard to believe the direction sound reproduction is taking. I will post some pictures of the build once complete.
    Hi,

    May be 0.160mH, can be changed to 0.120mH....but You can decide by experiments...
    and read
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post247755



    regards
    ivica

  14. #14
    Senior Member berga12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    221
    Original:
    Name:  1_3155_JBL_original.jpg
Views: 2313
Size:  65.2 KB

    Charge-coupled with simulated L-pad:
    Name:  3155 Equivalent Network (1).jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  115.2 KB

    You can do that schematic above by dividing Capacitors to have a "single capacitor" crossover, not charge-coupled.

    Equivalent with substitution of Tapped transformer
    Name:  4_3155_Equivalent.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  46.3 KB

    Another version(the same as above with commercial values) <-- this seems the closest version to the original from sound point of view.
    Name:  Crossover_Cristophe_ingegnereJBL.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  100.6 KB


    Every version is Valid and working fine (most of the Replica on this forum have one of this version above) some user build both and just says that the "charge-coupled" or with single Capacitor sound a bit more Open/brilliant, the last equivalent with the 2 coils in substitution to tapped transformer sound more "flat" and neutral.

    I hope the collections of the filter is complete now....

    if you have a CLIO board, or measurement system and technical background you can decide to build your own crossover based on your need.

  15. #15
    Member focalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Posts
    58
    thanks for the summary of cross over designs.... lastly has anyone done a passive network for 2 @ 2235s wired in parallel for a load of 4 ohms and at cut off at 400 to 500 HZ?

    thanks...





    .
    Quote Originally Posted by berga12 View Post
    Original:
    Name:  1_3155_JBL_original.jpg
Views: 2313
Size:  65.2 KB

    Charge-coupled with simulated L-pad:
    Name:  3155 Equivalent Network (1).jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  115.2 KB

    You can do that schematic above by dividing Capacitors to have a "single capacitor" crossover, not charge-coupled.

    Equivalent with substitution of Tapped transformer
    Name:  4_3155_Equivalent.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  46.3 KB

    Another version(the same as above with commercial values) <-- this seems the closest version to the original from sound point of view.
    Name:  Crossover_Cristophe_ingegnereJBL.jpg
Views: 1983
Size:  100.6 KB


    Every version is Valid and working fine (most of the Replica on this forum have one of this version above) some user build both and just says that the "charge-coupled" or with single Capacitor sound a bit more Open/brilliant, the last equivalent with the 2 coils in substitution to tapped transformer sound more "flat" and neutral.

    I hope the collections of the filter is complete now....

    if you have a CLIO board, or measurement system and technical background you can decide to build your own crossover based on your need.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 4355 variant
    By Woody Banks in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-09-2017, 01:39 PM
  2. 4355
    By hanad400 in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  3. 4355
    By David Ketley in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
  4. 4355 Parts
    By Nordwall in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
  5. 4355
    By Techbot in forum System Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 03:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •