Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4355

Jbl 4355

Hi all,
    I know this has been discussed on the forums to a great extent... but does anyone have a clear schematic of the original crossover with the alternative to the tapped coils.... with l_pads....????? it would be nice to have an original schematic finalized with the new calculated figures without at tapped coil. Looking for the schematic to just read and build. I just want to keep my build true to the original and simple...

Also a clear schematic of a charged coupled version is hard to sort out as i have not found a clean final version also... I have built the 4355's ... two pairs of sort and i want to build both.
    thanks so much.
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

maybe Ian, Giskard, or Widget can comment as you gents seem to be the final word on these things.

Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    Hi all,
    I know this has been discussed on the forums to a great extent... but does anyone have a clear schematic of the original crossover with the alternative to the tapped coils.... with l_pads....????? it would be nice to have an original schematic finalized with the new calculated figures without at tapped coil. Looking for the schematic to just read and build. I just want to keep my build true to the original and simple...

Also a clear schematic of a charged coupled version is hard to sort out as i have not found a clean final version also... I have built the 4355's ... two pairs of sort and i want to build both.
    thanks so much.
    It's in Giskard's 4345 development thread. In the database. He went through a couple ideas but the final version is towards the end of the of the thread. He posted the "charge coupled" version but the standard, single cap, version is functionally identical - just revise the capacitors; 16 + 16 = 8. I did the std. take (single caps) and it works just fine, sounds good enough that I have yet to bother with the "CC" upgrade (have the parts in stock - procrastinating!). Others did the CC version with equal success. Personal choice - a winner.

P.S. Again, thanks Dr. G.

thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    It's in Giskard's 4345 development thread. In the database. He went through a couple ideas but the final version is towards the end of the of the thread. He posted the "charge coupled" version but the standard, single cap, version is functionally identical - just revise the capacitors; 16 + 16 = 8. I did the std. take (single caps) and it works just fine, sounds good enough that I have yet to bother with the "CC" upgrade (have the parts in stock - procrastinating!). Others did the CC version with equal success. Personal choice - a winner.

P.S. Again, thanks Dr. G.

thanks.... could you post the link please ....or message me ....i have not been able to locate it, I have been looking all morning through the threads.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post395729

I am not 100% certain it's the final version but it's a charge coupled schematic

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?27199-DIY-quot-4345-quot-Project/page8

These are my speakers. Wanted the sound more like the 4343 than the 4344, and with this crossover I got what I wanted. Maybe to bright for some?

The schematic is on page 8 of the thread. Good luck - but this is the original version. You can go from here.

thanks all for pointing me in the right direction , I found the GT and Giskard original version but there is the 2010 version from TECHbot.....which is better as you can charge couple both or reconfigure the caps for non charged? Has anyone compared them? I am leaning towards the GT and Giskard version based on the fact Greg worked on these. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    The schematic is on page 8 of the thread. Good luck - but this is the original version. You can go from here.

4345 & 2441 Network

thanks all for pointing me in the right direction , I found the GT and Giskard original version but there is the 2010 version from TECHbot.....which is better as you can charge couple both or reconfigure the caps for non charged? Has anyone compared them? I am leaning towards the GT and Giskard version based on the fact Greg worked on these. Thanks
    or schematic here
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1280446056

thanks Ivica.... so which schematic is better..... the link you provided or the GT and Giskard version....? i dont want to make both versions to test it out. Any insight would be super helpful.they are similar but the inductor and resistor values are different for the 2441/2405.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post

thanks all, have decided to build the 2010 version but not charge coupled.I can do that down the road. Thanks again for all the support this community provides. In the age of bluetooth and wifi streaming soundbars... its hard to believe the direction sound reproduction is taking. I will post some pictures of the build once complete.

thanks Ivica.... so which schematic is better..... the link you provided or the GT and Giskard version....? i dont want to make both versions to test it out. Any insight would be super helpful.they are similar but the inductor and resistor values are different for the 2441/2405.

thanks all, have decided to build the 2010 version but not charge coupled.I can do that down the road. Thanks again for all the support this community provides. In the age of bluetooth and wifi streaming soundbars... its hard to believe the direction sound reproduction is taking. I will post some pictures of the build once complete.
    Hi,

May be 0.160mH, can be changed to 0.120mH....but You can decide by experiments...
    and read
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post247755

regards
    ivica

Original:
    Name:  1_3155_JBL_original.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  65.2 KB

Charge-coupled with simulated L-pad:
    Name:  3155 Equivalent Network (1).jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  115.2 KB

You can do that schematic above by dividing Capacitors to have a "single capacitor" crossover, not charge-coupled.

Equivalent with substitution of Tapped transformer
    Name:  4_3155_Equivalent.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  46.3 KB

Another version(the same as above with commercial values) <-- this seems the closest version to the original from sound point of view.
    Name:  Crossover_Cristophe_ingegnereJBL.jpg
Views: 2995
Size:  100.6 KB

Every version is Valid and working fine (most of the Replica on this forum have one of this version above) some user build both and just says that the "charge-coupled" or with single Capacitor sound a bit more Open/brilliant, the last equivalent with the 2 coils in substitution to tapped transformer sound more "flat" and neutral.

I hope the collections of the filter is complete now....

if you have a CLIO board, or measurement system and technical background you can decide to build your own crossover based on your need.

thanks for the summary of cross over designs.... lastly has anyone done a passive network for 2 @ 2235s wired in parallel for a load of 4 ohms and at cut off at 400 to 500 HZ?

thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by berga12 View Post
    Original:
    Name:  1_3155_JBL_original.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  65.2 KB

Charge-coupled with simulated L-pad:
    Name:  3155 Equivalent Network (1).jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  115.2 KB

You can do that schematic above by dividing Capacitors to have a "single capacitor" crossover, not charge-coupled.

Equivalent with substitution of Tapped transformer
    Name:  4_3155_Equivalent.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  46.3 KB

Another version(the same as above with commercial values) <-- this seems the closest version to the original from sound point of view.
    Name:  Crossover_Cristophe_ingegnereJBL.jpg
Views: 2995
Size:  100.6 KB

Every version is Valid and working fine (most of the Replica on this forum have one of this version above) some user build both and just says that the "charge-coupled" or with single Capacitor sound a bit more Open/brilliant, the last equivalent with the 2 coils in substitution to tapped transformer sound more "flat" and neutral.

I hope the collections of the filter is complete now....

if you have a CLIO board, or measurement system and technical background you can decide to build your own crossover based on your need.

Thread Information