Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Speakers using JBL 2204

2204 for garage speakers

Richard,
    Thank you again for all the information. As soon as the weather cools off (its been near 100 degrees here with 90% humidity) I will get to building. Shortly I will order Vance Dickinsons book to learn about crossover networks. Its always good to learn new things and then have practical use for them.
    I have a 2204 frame here that got broken in shipping. The outer rim is broken through in one spot and one of the spokes is cracked at the ring where the magnet mounts. Is it worth welding it up to save the frame or is it a new door stop? I have a machinist friend who says he can fix it easily but Im wondering if anyone else has done this repair?
    Thanks agin and I will keep you informed on my project. Any other suggestions you may have are always welcomed
    Regards,
    Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Sorry, I can't help you on fixing your damaged driver since I'm not a speaker repair expert. But you may try submitting your driver repair question to Ken who is usually very helpful here. He posts under the name "EDGEWOUND" here in the forums. His web site is uplandloudspeaker.com He's a JBL repair expert...

In the near future I will have another important suggestion for you regarding the matching of driver sensitivities and diffraction losses in the low frequencies.

According to John L. Murphy, "Loudspeaker designers have traditionally compensated for the diffraction loss by reducing the level of the tweeter and making other adjustments in the crossover." Which you may have to do for mid and high frequencies, depending on speaker placement and also on number of mids used. Regards,

Richard

garage speakers using 2204

Richard and Ivica thank you for you suggestions. Richard I made note of all your suggestions and will start building in the fall when its not so darn hot and humid here in NC. Ill post a question about welding that frame up on another forum. I may just contact edgewound directly and see what he says. I hate to just toss it.
    Thanks again for your time and your hard work,
    Glenn

How did this project turnout?

I now have something similar going on.

I have a new garage and need some tunes. First I will try the tri-amp arrangement to get it going. Then I will cobble together a passive crossover when I settle on mid drivers.

I like the 2204 H better than the 2206 H. The 2204 H has an additional half octave bass extension.

On the shelf I have a pair of both 2123H’s & 2118H’s and cross them over at 400hz. The 2123H’s will get the first tryout. I have the impression that the 104’s will struggle to keep up (as in less efficient and less power handling ability). Often you will see 2123H’s on ebay. Currently there are several pairs of 2118’s listed.

For tweeters I plan to use a pair of 2425H’s compression drivers crossed over at 2Khz, also on the garage shelf.

Thanks DT

I have been playing with these drivers.

The mid is now a JBL 2123H crossed over at 300hz and 2000hz.

At the 2k cross over the Directivity Index matches the JBK 2425H/Eighteensound XT1086 horn/waveguide.

The 2204 2123 2425 threesome sounds really good without a lot of high frequencies bouncing around the room.

Thanks DT

RE: "The 2204 2123 2425 threesome sounds really good without a lot of high frequencies bouncing around the room.

Hi DT,

But that doesn't mean or guarantee that the lows and/or low-mid won't be bouncing around in the garage? Regards,

Richard

Hello Richard,

Yes there are low frequencies bouncing around in an Modal way and there are direct and reflected high frequencies, in between the low and high frequency regions there is a Schroder frequency.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...nd-tell-part-1

Thanks DT

Garage Speakers using JBL 2204

Richard,
    My project hit the skids for the time being. Between a hurricane and a broken foot there isnt much going on here. Ill keep you up to date once the saw dust is in the air again. I will be going with a single 104h2 in the midrange by the way. Your suggestion makes absolute sense. I also appreciate the research you have done.
    Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the delay.

Great to hear from you again. I guess a broken foot isn't nearly as bad as a hurricane... Hopefully you still have a house, that was not damaged nor flooded.

I'm glad you kept in mind the info given. While your foot is up in the air resting you can still keep busy on your project doing some engineering, drawings, simulations, shop the Web tweeter suggested or another one, etc.

Though we don't have direct hurricane hits here, only some leftovers, surprisingly this year we sort of skipped a season (autumn) and recently been directly into early winter! Got caught off-guard, lawnmower, barbecue, garden hose, etc. still outside. We're late. Too many things to do in too little time. But I also spent too much time recently purchasing new audio equipment due to arrive soon, but may not have time to hook it up now.

Just finished today reinstalling parts on one of two mid-size snowblowers I have (2nd one got FREE!), after restoring the whole fuel system, carburator, fuel line, valve, etc. Soon it will start to smell snow here...

With the missing autumn I'm not really any further ahead than you are. I've got audio projects on idle too. So don't feel bad about it. Let us know when you're back into action. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information