Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

fredmarantz

JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum !

I've just aquired an integrated JBL SA-600. I curious to know if anybody on this forum knows anything about it. I've learned from the net, that some japanese charges pretty much for it. Is it that valuable/collectible or what? I remember that they were sold in my country (Denmark)in the early seventies along with the golden age JBL-speakers. It looks very nice and hasn't got any noticeable blemishes
    I know that it is one of the first generations of SS. It hasn't got wood sidepanels, but I've seen one on the net that has those. Was it standard or were they optional?

I didn't plug it so far as I don't know when it last was in action.
    Paid around 200 $ for it. If anybody knows anything about this amp……i'd be happy!!.

Regards and thanks
    Freddy

JBL Dog

real nice amp!

Freddy:

I own an SA600 that I'm currently using with a C45 Metregon while my McIntosh tube gear is being serviced. It is an excellent quality piece that will rival a good tube amp. If your SA600 is in good condition, you stole it at $200.00.

It is a very collectible amp. Mint condition units will fetch as much as $1,000.00 on Ebay. The unit retailed for $345.00 in 1967. The wood panels were a $15.00 option. I actually have the receipt for my unit. The original owner paid $345.00 (w/wood panels) in April of 1967. That was a lot to pay back then!

40 super-clean watts per channel is the output. Very conservatively rated IMHO. It is a perfect compliment to any JBL speaker system from the 50's/60's

Fire it up man! You'll love it!

This message comes from JBL Dog

fredmarantz

JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

Thanks a lot "JBL-DOG"!
    I appreciate your answer. I had a feeling, that this amp was a little special. Does anybody know how many was built? What years was the production? How many versions - I saw a picture of one, that had a significantly darker faceplate)?
    Rarity? Or maybe somebody knows a good link to more intense info. I figured that this forum might be THE place to ask. Why is this amp ( or other JBL-amps for that matter) hardly mentioned anywhere and why does it seem to fetch high yen, especially in Japan?. That's a lot of questions but I hope, that somebody "out there" . come on - everybody!!

Best regards

Freddy

Obsolete

Re: JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

I scanned two reviews of the SA600 and sent them to the ftp site. Maybe they will be of interest.

danzela

Re: Re: JBL SA600 integrated amplifier

Hi,

I hust bought a JBL SA660 and would be very interested in your 2 reviews. How can I get them ?

"I just bought a JBL SA660 and would be very interested in your 2 reviews. How can I get them ?"
    Unless I'm mistaken, we cannot retrieve stuff from the ftp site (ftp://ftp.audioheritage.org/), it is used for uploading Library material to the Lansing Heritage site (as many of us have done).

We must await the Wizard's handiwork to add uploaded things to the Lansing Heritage site. So, keep checking back to the
    Lansing Heritage site Link and, enjoy the wealth of info there in the meantime. Or, with any luck, someone might exchange some things via email...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete

Page 1/2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4313B; 09-01-2003 at 06:24 AM.

Obsolete

Page 2/2

Obsolete

Second Review

Page 1/2

Obsolete

Second Review

Page 2/2

fredmarantz

Jbl sa-600 amplifier

Thanks a lot Giskard!

They are very nice scans. I'm gonna read them carefully.

Freddy

Ah Julian Hirsch! He never said a bad thing about any piece of audio gear he was paid to review. There certainly is information to be gleaned here but do read it with a grain or pound of salt.

Cool to relive yesteryear though!

Obsolete
    "There certainly is information to be gleaned here but do read it with a grain or pound of salt."

One doesn't read every review that way? :shock:

"Cool to relive yesteryear though!"

This whole forum reeks of it

Obsolete

Re: Jbl sa-600 amplifier

Originally posted by fredmarantz
    Thanks a lot Giskard!

They are very nice scans. I'm gonna read them carefully.

Freddy
    You're welcome

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fredmarantz View Post
    Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum !

I've just aquired an integrated JBL SA-600. I curious to know if anybody on this forum knows anything about it. I've learned from the net, that some japanese charges pretty much for it. Is it that valuable/collectible or what? I remember that they were sold in my country (Denmark)in the early seventies along with the golden age JBL-speakers. It looks very nice and hasn't got any noticeable blemishes
    I know that it is one of the first generations of SS. It hasn't got wood sidepanels, but I've seen one on the net that has those. Was it standard or were they optional?

I didn't plug it so far as I don't know when it last was in action.
    Paid around 200 $ for it. If anybody knows anything about this amp……i'd be happy!!.

Regards and thanks
    Freddy

Dear Freddy,

This is a very good amplifier. I own one. This is the best amp I have ever used. It dose not have very high power out-put. But the Quality is un matched. I still use this amplifier. The smoothing capasitord were changed two years back.

Regards,
    Ananda.

Thread Information