Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Building an Enclosure Around a D.A.S D-401 2395 Clone

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Ian,

"A stereo pair or second loudspeaker 3 metre distance" Is quite a different story and has nothing to do with what is commonly known and used for "mutual coupling" in sound reinforcement for example. That's the only issue raised by me. Other ways of getting "mutual coupling" may exist (e.g. Holland, and described by himself as "perhaps less obvious") however they are far from being widespread, and even talked about in many loudspeaker books...

Hi RMC,

As I have shown on the figure
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1480884646
    re-scaling the frequency axis relative to the distance (here mentioned to 3m, e.g. by reducing the frequency 6 times) it can be seen that such effect called "mutual coupling" would occur for the frequencies LESS then about 50Hz, as in stereo sound reproduction LF speakers are producing almost the same sound program (especially "under 300Hz"). So that is real physics law of the sound. But such effect is "masked by" the sound reflections from the nearby large surfaces where "local" mutual coupling would produce +6dB up to +18dB, but a lot of my words have been 'said' about that in the previous posts here.

regards
    ivica

I couldn’t stand the way these things looked so I modified them. The bottom end is going to have double 2226J drivers, mids 2123H, then probably a 2395 with a 2446, and a 2405 on top.

The crossover points will be around 300 hz, 1200 hz, and 8000 hz. I think I’m going to experiment with trying them out as a 3 way by crossing the 2123 to a 075 ar 2500 hz.

I also might try to use a passive crossover between two of the drivers so I only have to use three amplifiers. It’s also a lot easier to find a 3-way active crossover.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow

What comes to mind is one of those big Westlake monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Wow

What comes to mind is one of those big Westlake monitors
    I was looking at pictures of Westlakes when I designed them. They need a couple of big wood horns, but they are way too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    I was looking at pictures of Westlakes when I designed them. They need a couple of big wood horns, but they are way too expensive.
    You can sell your 2395 slants for $2k to a European or Nippon buyer and use the money for some wood horns ;-)

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    You can sell your 2395 slants for $2k to a European or Nippon buyer and use the money for some wood horns ;-)

Just sayin'
    I think the market dried up for 2395's. I just sold a pair for $900.00 CDN, and I see another pair on Canuck for that. There was another pair with drivers in Quebec, the seller was asking $1,100.00 CDN. I have a pair of DAS D-401 that I probably try selling, but they are worth less than the JBL's.

Where's a good place to advertise to sell to the European or Asian market? eBay?

Great minds think alike.

Those wood horns sure are expensive

There is a guy in Hungry that does really nice walnut finishes

http://athosaudio.wixsite.com/athosaudio/gallery

If you wanted to play out a few different horns here are fibreglass horns of good quality like the seos

http://horns-diy.pl/en/horns/seos/seos-24/

http://jamminjersey.com/detail/00612...od-smith-horns

Not timber but they work nicely

It’s about the look and those big slant plate horn on post 13 have a nice industrial

I myself scored the very last pair of AH700 conical horns in black
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NVQujPOPx2.../s1600-h/3.jpg

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/monarch

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    I think the market dried up for 2395's. I just sold a pair for $900.00 CDN, and I see another pair on Canuck for that. There was another pair with drivers in Quebec, the seller was asking $1,100.00 CDN. I have a pair of DAS D-401 that I probably try selling, but they are worth less than the JBL's.

Where's a good place to advertise to sell to the European or Asian market? eBay?
    Paid my set $100 something and they included a pair of 2441 w/ bad diaphragms. I restored everything. Kept them for a year and sold the slants and horn for $1000+ I think. I kept the 2441 and fitted some Radian diaphragms.

My suggestion is to advertise your slants here.

Lee

Finally finished for now. I am using a DBX driverack and a DBX 234 in series, the 234 splits the 2226 and 2123 at about 300hz. One day I am going to build a passive crossover so I only have to use three amps and one active crossover.

They seem to sound good, they create a lot of wind anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Awesome 😎

Thread Information